Lets talk about GPUs (( Graphic Cards ) i need some suggestions )since most of us are stuck at home or bored at work.

I know, it’s absolutely stupid.

the 16 series uses the Turing microarchitecture like the 20 series, whereas the 10 series uses the older Pascal.

4 Likes

Oh yea, I forget there are variants of the 570 with more than 3GB of VRAM. I still wouldn’t suggest the card. So much better to just save up. :sweat_smile: but yea I don’t think the 570 is that much better even with all the VRAM than a GTX 970. :thinking:

5 Likes

Actually i wasnt even aware that there is anything below 4 gb vram these days :smiley:

3 Likes

2060’s They are little bit more price friendly but range of specs and manufacturers are also pretty wide. From 350eu with 6GB VRAM to almost 550eu with 8GB VRAM and a lot of different variants in between. I get 3 pages of 2060’s in my local hardware shop website lol. Any specific manufacturers to avoid though, maybe even in general?

2060 could be my alternative if 2070 wont drop it’s price in a near future.

@Pylinaer @YQMaoski

3 Likes

2060 Super (2060S) or 2060 KO if you can.

I mean, not really, but I would tell ASUS to stick it on principle for how they handled their 5700XT debacle.

It appears that the 2060 KO is EVGA only, but I wouldn’t stress too much if you can’t find one reasonably cheap.

4 Likes

When it comes to manufacturers my personal experiences have been really good with Gainward and MSI in the past, both from a reliability and value standpoint.

4 Likes

Must say that i never heard or seen anything made by this manufacturer in my life so it might not even be available here . MSI on the other hand is pretty widely available though market is pretty much owned by Gygabite and ASUS down here.

Doesnt seem to be avaible down here. So i will browse through supers and see what’s up there.

3 Likes

So it seems that AMD GPUs are 15 to 20% cheaper for the same specs as Nvidia ones , what gives? Is it a general quality thing or Nvidia is just charging extra for the brand name?

I see that i can easily get 8GB VRAM card from AMD below 400$ while to get one from Nvidia i would need to pay at very very least 450$ .

3 Likes

AMD is the underdog in this situation so they are competing using price to performance. However, this also means they have less resources for driver updates and quality of life features.

If you don’t care about streaming, Ray tracing, and/or having multiple screens, then AMD will likely serve you well. Word is that they have fixed most of the egregious bugs in their drivers bar specific use cases.

Also, I’m hearing that the new consoles will likely release at the end of this year, so new graphics cards are probably going to be a next year thing.

4 Likes

I’m reviving this thread a bit to ask this question.

I have an option to snatch used , what i believe is XFX Video Card AMD Radeon RX 580 GTS 8GB XXX Ed GPU from the place i work at. Should i ? Keeping in mind that i currently run on Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 OC mini, 4GB GDDR5. Is it going to be a noticeable enough upgrade or just i’ll just throw a bit of money that way and get only marginal returns.

I’m not sure how much will they ask for it but new one is 380 euros down here so i’m sure i can get it for half that price or even less.

EDIT : It also costs 190 euros in other place so either they are somehow different or that 380 eu price tag is bonkers.

4 Likes

The RX 580 appears to be approximately 8-10% faster than the 970. If you can get it for really cheap, then it might be okay as a stopgap.

For reference a 1660 Super is about 35% Faster.

I can get more in depth after work.

5 Likes

Thank you, that actually is all the clarification i really needed. 8-10% faster is pretty much what i’d consider ‘marginal’ increase so throwing even a 100 eu for that seems pretty pointless especially then i dont know how reliable it would be . At least my 970 is working like a bee despite it’s age.

4 Likes