Leftover Jingle Jam and Others IOW Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays Giveaway(Closed for Drawings)

So. I don’t remember any weird New Years right now

Why New Years and not Christmases

Christmas is more of a religious holiday in Russia. Christians participate in church services, and have somewhat of a holiday meal afterwards, but it usually is relatively small. Non-Christians, like me and most of my family, just have a day off. A small celebratory feast can be held, but it's not mandatory, and it's not as big and festive as the New Year's.

Also the gifts are given out for the New Year, usually not long before it’s 00:00 of January 1st, or exactly after midnight and the President’s speech, whom everybody belittles while he talks, even the old folks hate his guts by now, but everybody still watches it because tradition. My first New Year without Putin happened a few years after I moved away from parents, and it was only because the people with whom I spent that New Year happened to be too drunk to set the TV properly. And I was happy not to help, because it’s not a tradition I enjoy :roll_eyes: I don’t want to see this guy’s face at the start of each year, but ooh is it difficult to avoid.

Complimentary gifts can be given out for Christmas, but it’s also not mandatory, and rarely happens: it’s more of an excuse to give more gifts to people you love and care for, and make holidays longer for them this way. Parents often do this for kids, but aside from this, it rarely happens - even the hardcore Christians stick with the New Year presents. That’s because Christmas is January 7 in Russia, so it actually comes a week after New Year festivities.

but I remember a weird present my friend gave to me.

She was notoriously famous for regifting stuff while demanding high-quality, high-cost personal gifts, so that was not a complete surprise, but still hilarious. That New Year, she gave me a small plastic decorative ball for the Christmas tree (New Year fir tree, who cares, it sounds weird in English). It was clear from the way it looked it was a regifted complimentary gift, separated from some person’s main gift and rejected to be given to me, but I still asked her what it was.

She cheerfully said that was the special holiday tea that she got especially for me, since she knew I loved tea. And yes, as a matter of fact, I do enjoy a cup of tea, thank you very much.

But from the weight of the ball, I knew it was no tea, so to avoid awkwardness, I thanked her full-heartedly and told her I’d better open it at home, because I didn’t want to cause mess. Ok. So after I finally got home, I completely forgot about it for a few days, and then remembered, and opened it. Inside there was nothing but a well-folded sheet of paper that looked like a secret note. No tea, obviously, but very exciting. Intrigued, I unfolded the note… to find a love letter. That love letter was not for me though :anguished: it was for the girl who gifted me this ball. Unfortunately, it never reached her, because she never bothered to reach the ball.

I immediately called her, and the conversation went smth like this:

Me: “Thanks for the present! I finally got to try the tea, it’s amazing!”
Her: “Well, but of course it is! I’ve spent quite some time choosing it for you!”
Me: “Yeah, that’s a perfect gift for holidays, this tea really sets up the mood. How did you know my tastes so well?”
Her: “Haha, well, I know a things or two about you. You are my dearest friend, so I really wanted to make this gift special”
Me: “It was pretty special. Could you tell me where you got that ball, since it doesn’t have much tea in it, and I want to get more when I run out?”
Her: “Sorry, I don’t remember, I’ve attended so many shops while getting presents for everyone this year”
Me: “Well, okay. What if I tell you there was no tea”
Her: “No tea?”
Me: “No tea. But something better instead. There was a secret love letter”
Her: “What?! A love letter? What did it say?!”

As she didn’t ask about the author of the letter, it was clear she knew immediately who the author was. So while I didn’t get the tea, I still got some fun out of my gift teasing her about the whole thing for quite a while sorry not sorry.

I enter for:

1. Atonement: Scourge of Time
  2. City of Chains

Thank you very much.
And I apologize if I already told that story somewhere on Chrono before, it was weird enough to make a huge impression on me.

11 Likes

I would love to enter in for these:

1. Atari Vault
  2. Rise of Industry

I haven’t had a lot of great Christmas days in a very, very long time, but it has become quite common for me to eat non “traditional” X-mas day meals on X-mas. Usually its stuff like pizza and pizza rolls, but last year it was tuna casserole! Definitely missed the turkey or ham, and them real mashed potatoes. :rofl:

Thankfully the COVID-19 stuff hasn’t really changed the holidays for me, we don’t go to or have family gatherings, but I’m really sorry for those it has. It must suck being separated from friends and loved ones during the holidays.

Happy holidays / Merry Christmas everyone! :smile:
(and hopefully those who celebrate Hanukkah had a great one!)

9 Likes

I’d like to enter for

1. Dream Daddy
  2. Tooth and tail

As for weird christmas idk seems like past few years I haven’t celebrated much, other than christmas dinners and that but most of that is cancelled this year anyway as won’t be going to restaurants. I haven’t even recieved many gifts these past years well physical at least :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: haven’t even decorated this year other than some xmas cards

7 Likes

Thank you so much, @delenn13 :gem::gem::gem:

Abnormal Christmas:
Seven years ago, on December 20th, we rescued a kitten that had been thrown out a car window. We named her Allie. The next day an ice storm knocked out the electricity in our town, and it stayed out for about a week (and it was very cold outside). We huddled up as best we could, and at night the kitty would climb under the bed covers with us on occasion. Each day, we kept expecting/hoping the electricity would come back online but it didn’t. On Christmas eve we finally decided to go up to join my sister and niece at the family cottage (which did have electricity) until our town had electricity again (which was a couple days later). So at the cottage, having a new kitten to adore on Christmas was quite a treat for everyone, and for little Allie it was an adventure discovering yet another new place, and she played so much that while we were watching TV in the evening, as she was playing on the carpet, she suddenly layed down and immediatley went to sleep (all worn out) and we all laughed at such a sight. :cat2::cat2::cat2:

I’d love to try any of these choices:

• War for the Overworld
  • Tooth and Tail
  • SUNLESS SEA
  • Among the Sleep - Enhanced Edition
  • Starbound
  • Orcs Must Die! 2
  • Crimsonland
  • Bohemian Killing
  • Beholder
  • Atari Vault
  • City of Chains
  • Crab Cakes Rescue
  • Atonement: Scourge of Time
  • Rise of Industry
  • Darksburg
  • Safety First!
10 Likes

Thank you for the last giveaway of the year!

The weirdest Christmas I had was when it snowed on Christmas morning. I had never seen snow before. I made a hand-sized snowman. Picked up some snow, put it in a plastic bag and stuffed it in my freezer because its now magic snow.

Gag gifts was one year when I got a pair of socks from every family member. Now that I think about it, might have been a better gag if each person gave me 1 sock and I had to pair them up.

This holiday is going to be with family same as usual. But fewer gifts. :christmas_tree:

1. Tooth and Nail
  2. For The King
  3. Starbound
  4. Sunless Sea
  5. Broken Age
  6. Atonement: Scourge of TIme
  7. City of Chains
  8. Alien Breed: Impact
  9. Avencast: Rise of the Mage
  10. Away: Journey to the Unexpected
  11. Atari Vault
7 Likes

:point_up_2:

6 Likes

I don’t have any strange traditions or weird holiday food stories, but I have given one gag gift.

When I was young, I want to say around 13 years old, my family and I visited Mount Rushmore. While we were there my parents gave me the option of buying one thing from the gift shop that was less than $20. In my search around the store I noticed that they were selling giant pennies (actually made of copper and about 5in or 12-13cm in diameter).

My Grandpa was an avid coin collector and always taught us to look at the date of coins and the mint it came from (small letter next to year) to determine whether a coin was valuable from a collectors stand point. Knowing this I decided to look at the date of the giant penny. It was a 1909 with “S” under the year and “VDB” stamped on the back of the coin. For those unfamiliar with US coin collecting, this is the holy grail of pennies. Largely sought after due to it’s rarity. The real coin was produced in a very small batch from this specific mint and a “mint” condition (or pristine condition) could easily fetch up to $1000.

As soon as I saw that I knew I had to get it. I showed my Dad and he laughed and agreed it was a great item to pick. I didn’t open the package though because I wanted to give it to my Grandpa. That Christmas I gave it to him as a gag gift.

When he first opened it, he chuckled a little and thought it was neat gift. It wasn’t until he looked at the date and saw the mint stamp did his face light up with joy and laughter. That will always be something I remember.

After he died last month I went into his bedroom after his funeral and noticed that he still had the coin. It was leaning up against the mirror on his dresser so that he could see it every day as he dressed (20ish years later). My Grandma said he truly cherished it.

Sorry, I know this might be a tear jerker story for some, but it brings me joy and I will always remember it as a positive/joyful time…and a successful gag gift. Only one I’ve done. I figured I should quit while I was ahead :joy:

As for the giveaway, there’s some gems in this list! I have most of them though :joy:

Only one I don’t have that I’m interested in is:

• Darksburg

If I don’t win :man_shrugging: I’ll get it eventually. Seems like it’s being included in quite a few bundles so at some point I’m sure I’ll get a bundle with it included lol.

Thank you for the chance @delenn13!

9 Likes

My Grandma said he truly cherished it.
[/quote]

I loved your story so much, I just read it out loud to my wife. Thanks. :sparkle:

(ps - Your story really made sense (cents) to me. Sorry, I love puns) :smirk:

6 Likes
rant

Don’t even get me started with CON-VID-19. I’m glad we don’t have TV anymore because the less I hear about it, the better it is for my depression. I’m not vicarious like some, or many…

I’m Pagan. Happy Yule. Gift-giving is an anytime, any reason thing. If you want to give a gift, then give a gift. Need no ‘special day or time’ to do so. If that sounds anti-Capitalist, you’re right, it is, and don’t forget, I’m also an Anarchist, who was raised in a society based on trust and bolstered by open trade, sans taxation or inflation.
Have I ever given gag gifts? I love Spencer’s; one of my favorite shops, lolz
(Yes I have but never anything gross lolz)
List: A-Z order followed by (rank number)
Atari Vault (2)
Brutal Legend (3-I want to have this off my wishlist)
Cally’s Trials (1)
City of Chains (1)
By the by, I just added three games to my Steam Wishlist today; I want that number to drop.

6 Likes

Here’s the door, see yourself out. :point_right: :door:

:laughing: No I’m just kidding, that was a good one!

7 Likes

One Christmas, nearly every present (not counting those for the kids) in my family was a gift card, not very memorable. We buy each other things throughout the year, just because, and I guess everyone got tired of “saving” those gifts to give at Christmas.
The next year, we decided not to bother with presents at all (again, not the kids), and just focused on the time spent together. No “mandatory” shopping stress, just fun. And food :slight_smile:

Thanks for the giveaway. I’m interested in these the most:

1. Crimsonland
  2. Orcs Must Die 2
  3. War of the Overworld
  4. Darksburg
  5. Rise of Industry
  6. Starbound
  7. Tooth and Tail

If all of those are taken:

• Alien Breed: Impact
  • Among the Sleep - Enhanced Edition
  • Angelica Weaver: Catch Me When You Can
  • Avencast: Rise of the Mage
  • AWAY: Journey to the Unexpected
  • Beholder
  • Broken Age
  • Callys Trials
  • Dead in Bermuda
  • Faeria
  • Sunless Sea
6 Likes

Tomorrow is the last day!

9 Likes

Less than 3 hours now…:hugs:

5 Likes

I guess this Christmas has been pretty abnormal as it’s the first one I have not bothered celebrating in any manner what so ever. At the very least I used to cook many of the usual Christmas foods I enjoy but I have not even bothered doing that this year.

Thanks for doing yet another giveaway @delenn13, hope you had a great holiday yourself.

1. For the king

is the only one I’d like to enter for, thank you.

7 Likes

Thanks for doing this yet again :slight_smile:

I’m really not into celebrating things, because I’m an atheist that believes everyday can be a holiday if you decide so. I usually spent christmas eve alone the last few years, because I don’t want to do anything with my family and my personal tradition is to make burgers :smiley: just because here you need to eat meat-free dishes according to orthodox christianity.
Last year I even was at work.

I would like to enter for:

1. SUNLESS SEA
  2. Among the Sleep - Enhanced Edition
  3. Darksburg
  4. Starbound

Hope you had more regular celebration than me :slight_smile:
Cheers!

5 Likes

Thanks for another awesome GA @delenn13 - hope you had a very merry Christmas!
As far as strange Christmas foods go, I’ve had a TV dinner once on Christmas Eve when I was overseas on work over the Holidays. No sympathy necessary though - I thoroughly indulged my inner foodie the next day with a burpiliciously hearty turkey lunch at a local restaurant known for their Christmas special.
Fast forward many years to the present and I’m one of the fortunate few who has actually enjoyed 2020 because it’s allowed me to spend so much more time with my 6-year-old son. It’s also allowed me to share my love of board games with him… for 2 to 3 hours a day at that!

My top 15 picks:

1. Starbound
  2. War for the Overworld
  3. Darksburg
  4. Dead In Bermuda
  5. Orcs Must Die! 2
  6. Alien Breed: Impact
  7. Tooth and Tail
  8. Atari Vault
  9. Dream Daddy
  10. Safety First
  11. AWAY: Journey to the Unexpected
  12. Angelica Weaver: Catch Me When You Can
  13. Cally’s Trials
  14. Rise of Industry
  15. Avencast: Rise of the Mage
3 Likes

I don’t really celebrate anything and with the current pandemic going on, I basically spent the whole day staying indoors and playing games. Since games, especially those with online components, usually have seasonal events and content just for the occasion, it’s not that bad either.

1. For The King
  2. Faeria
  3. Starbound
  4. Rise of Industry
  5. Darksburg

As always, thank you for your giveaways!

4 Likes

Something has come up. So I am leaving this GA open for another 2 hours…You will get your games…Don’t worry.

10 Likes

The last one to enter shall win! Happy Holidays everyone and thank you for the giveaway. I wasn’t going to enter but then I thought it would be a fun game to try with my friend. So why not try my last sliver of luck.

What comes to memory is something that my parents used to do when we were kids. They would make a whole riddle game for us to find hints and more hints to reach our presents. It was a lot of fun, me and my sister going around the house searching for the next hidden hint. :smile: :gift:

1. For the King
4 Likes

Closed for Drawings…

9 Likes