Is there a like counter?

Hi everyone,
this is probably a dumb question, but considering the limited amount of likes one can give; is there a place where one can see how many likes are left?

P.S. I know there are older posts discussing the number of likes in general (e.g., https://206.81.1.216/t/youve-reached-the-maximum-number-of-likes-today/7391") but I didn’t find that specific information.

7 Likes

There’s a total tally per 24 hour period and this cycles exactly to the time that the like was previously used.

For regulars (and new folks too, I think?) it used to be 50 likes, but I complained about it here and our friendly admins decided to give us a bit of extra after a discussion:

So in any given 24 hour period starting at any point during the day, you have 75 likes. If you used them all within 1 hr, you will have to wait for 24 hrs from the time you used the first one to get 1 back, but within the next hour, you would have all 75 back.

But if you used 15 every hour for 5 hours, you would get 15 back during the first hour, and another 15 from then on until 24 hours from the time you clicked the last one about 5 hours later.

Imagine each like being an individual entity instead of all of them in a package…

Actually, think about each one as being a boomerang, every time it leaves your hand, it returns eventually, and that time in between, you cannot possibly throw it again. Now say that boomerang leaves your hand and returns 24 hours later, on the dot. And you have 75 at your disposal…

We have no specific counter to actually know how many we have left, as far as I can see. It would not really serve much purpose… Would you start rationing your likes if you were running low? I would still try to like a post that I would have otherwise liked anyway.

Hope that helps a little bit… Sorry about the poor analogy, it was the first thing that popped into my head…

11 Likes

I sat here and watched you respond wondering how it took you so long to type “No, there isn’t.” : )

11 Likes

:rofl: :+1:

Fortunately my typing speed is a tad bit faster than:

slow%20typer

8 Likes

I really liked the analogy even if I already knew how the system in general works. Thanks for the elaborate explanation. :slight_smile:

I was just wondering if there is a place to check how many boomerangs you have left. The purpose behind it was to get a feeling for how many likes I use on a daily (specifically 24-hour period) basis. But in the end, you are right, and I wouldn’t start rationing my likes anyway, so it’s just a case of curiosity.

7 Likes

9 Likes

A popup appears on your screen when to tell you only have a few likes left for the day when you are close to the limit I believe

6 Likes

I believe

Hey everyone! Look at Mr. “I have infinite likes now so I couldn’t possible be sure” over here!

grumbles something about fancy-pants moderators

7 Likes

Ha, I only say believe because I only hit the like limit once and that was only a week or so ago. I remember something like that happened but my memory is terrible so I didn’t want to say it for certain. You want my like around here you have to earn it!

5 Likes

Haha! Fair enough, fair enough. Like a dragon sitting atop his pile of gold, ain’t the first greedy hooman gonna take no gold coins away.

Don’t worry, most of us a hobitses. No greed in our pure hearts.

la-guerra-de-el-hobbit-tv-original

5 Likes

You get a screen that says something like when it’s counting down:
You only have a few more likes left for the day!

and if you really run out, then you get something like:
You have to wait (numeral) minutes/hours before you can use it again…

I know my wording is way off, but that’s the general gist of it…

1 Like

yeah… i wish i could like these posts…

3 Likes

So you can at least correct me with the exact wording if you wished… LOL! Since you can trigger it at any time!

2 Likes

:male_detective:You’ve reached the maximum number of likes today. Please wait 47 minutes before trying again.:male_detective:

wow, sry, apparently that was wrong, the exact wording is:

You’ve reached the maximum number of likes today. Please wait 46 minutes before trying again.

nope, wrong again… what is this magic???

6 Likes