Chronies Recommendations: Children Books (Sci Fi, Science, Fantasy, Adventures) Toys, Games

Ha, awesome. I skipped ahead to around the 9-11min mark where she presented her child’s favorite three books. Monster ABC was one of them (primer book). Sort of reminded me of the ABC’s/123’s of DD. But this lady is soooo right about sticking to primer books at this stage. I learned that the hard way, lol. Unless you hold a regular book at arms length to keep it out of his reach, he will snatch-n-grab, lol, like this lady mentioned her daughter does. Comical. So yes, primer books are the way to go so the kiddo can touch, slobber, yank and pull, hehe. The video mentioned a few other books, as well. Thanks @Fraggles!

I initially had in mind SF/F books for the near future but everyone contributed a vast amount for All ages. It created a project - a fun one - to compile and categorize it all so I will not forget it all as the years go by, ha. But yeah, my interest has grown from anything to read presently to teenage years. Primarily focused on things from now until 2-3years old so I can start acquiring those first. Time to start carrying around the complete list, though, so if I do see any of the future reads available “snatch-n-grab” for later :stuck_out_tongue:

Perhaps one of the several reasons I am so appreciated for all the recommendations and ideas… it grew the rather basic idea into something much larger and grand. Yup, blessed :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I got things to do…but here’s another author that i loved growing up…Hugh Lofting. His most famous was Dr Dolittle but he wrote others listed in the Wikipedia below.

7 Likes

my gosh, Doctor Dolittle and the works by Hugh Lofting slipped right by me… thanks!!

May your day be blessed with lots of patience :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Some more…I am not sure were mentioned and i don’t have time to check…Robert Lewis stevenson…I can’t remember the authors…Mary poppins, Peter pan, Winnie the Pooh, Robinson Crusoe, Swiss Family Robinson, Heidi, Curious George(My brother loved those) Lassie, Lad: a Dog Black Beauty, Prince and the pauper.

I know I have posted this site before but i love Gizmo’s(Ian Richards’ site): He lists Children’s book and Teens(all free)

https://www.techsupportalert.com/free-ebooks-audio-books-read-online-download.htm

And he sent me this today…Just in case the kid is artistic:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/download-free-coloring-pages-100-top-libraries-and-museums.htm

5 Likes

Need to clean out all those tabs I got from going down a rabbit trail. It always happens to me and I wonder why I can’t get anything done. :exploding_head:

I remember buying this for my best friends grandkids. They loved it.

Then I went to the actual page where it was made…Bad mistake…LOL…

Basic Fun

Star Wars Science
Why didn’t they have this stuff when I was a kid? Oh I forgot Star Trek hadn’t even aired.:joy:

Ever Womder?

I just had fun going through the different toys. Boy, I lived a deprived life…:cry:

6 Likes

I was checking to see if anyone had mentioned “Edgar Allen Poe” and I found this “Horror” thread.

https://206.81.1.216/t/happy-halloween-share-scary-stories/13465

Has some interesting stories there.

5 Likes

Oh… I’m gonna get so distracted, lol. Nice one, Delenn!

4 Likes

Yea. That thread was started during the time I had my cataract surgery.

4 Likes

Goodness gracious, I got lost with the toys, haha… never-never-land. Thank you so much for the additional recommendations, as well! Oh-so-very much :slight_smile: Woo, a lot that I overlooked, once again. Ah, thank you, thank you, thank you :smiley:

4 Likes

The premise of this seems very cute, like Honey I shrunk the kids, ^^ Likely only free today though.

5 Likes

…and I just so happened to get a nice hefty Amazon gift card from my employer last week. Ha, thanks @Danacscott! This does seem adorable with a nice plot and I am curious about the illustrations so I am gonna get a hard copy of it.

Thanks again!! :smiley:

5 Likes

Oh you NEED this…It’s a game. It’s FREE right NOW!

Teach Your Monster to Read - Phonics and Reading
It’s says normally 6.99 for me; so I am guessing it’s 4.99 US.
Absolutely no in-app purchases, hidden costs or in-game adverts. Perfect for kids :heavy_heart_exclamation:

6 Likes

That’s so cool! I’m glad to hear that, since I was thinking the same thing - it’d be awesome in hard copy. Maybe some time, I can. Let us know how you like it please :grin:

3 Likes

Awesome - tytyty! May never start too early with learning :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Most definitely will! The least I could do :smiley:

5 Likes

I am always surprised at the stuff I get in my emails and RSS feed. And because I am busy, they sometimes pile up. Here is some “learning software products” in Win and Linux. Keep in mind I have not tried any of these but I got these from reliable sources.

"GCompris is a high quality educational software suite, including a large number of activities for children aged 2 to 10.

Some of the activities are game orientated, but nonetheless still educational.

Here is the list of activity categories with some examples:

• computer discovery: keyboard, mouse, touchscreen …
  • reading: letters, words, reading practice, typing text …
  • arithmetic: numbers, operations, table memory, enumeration, double entry table …
  • science: the canal lock, the water cycle, renewable energy …
  • geography: countries, regions, culture …
  • games: chess, memory, align 4, hangman, tic-tac-toe …
  • other: colors, shapes, Braille, learn to tell time …

“KStars is free, open source, cross-platform Astronomy Software. It provides an accurate graphical simulation of the night sky, from any location on Earth, at any date and time. The display includes up to 100 million stars, 13,000 deep-sky objects,all 8 planets, the Sun and Moon, and thousands of comets, asteroids, supernovae, and satellites. For students and teachers, it supports adjustable simulation speeds in order to view phenomena that happen over long timescales, the KStars Astrocalculator to predict conjunctions, and many common astronomical calculations.”

http://www.childsplay.mobi/
“Childsplay is a collection of educational activities for young children and runs on Windows, OSX, and Linux.
Childsplay can be used at home, kindergartens and pre-schools.
Childsplay is a fun and save way to let young children use the computer and at the same time teach them a little math, letters of the alphabet, spelling, eye-hand coordination etc.”

6 Likes

**Saved for future! Thanks, chic! KStars is something I may start using now, though. I think it would be awesome hooked up to the projector.

As always, thank you very much :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I am not sure why they associate “monsters” with learning but here is a different “monster game” with numbers. It’s free not sure for how long.

"Math games for kids: Addition, subtraction, mental arithmetic, division, times tables. Learning games of counting numbers and sequence for preschoolers. Perfect for the young children too!

Monster Numbers is an excellent educational game for learning mathematics for kids: addition and subtraction, times tables, multiplication, sequences and division, mental-math calculations and problem solving for k-12 school.

A fun edutainment application. Run, jump, count, add, substract, multiply and divide to win. It’s an actual game!

Highly adaptable edutainment design! It is suitable for all ages!

AGE EDUCATIONAL CONTENT:

• Ages: 4-5 (Preschool):
    Children from ages 4 and 5 (kindergarten) will find age appropriate games to match their maturing level in mathematics: counting coins, logical sequence, number recognition, association quantity and numbers, sums of sets of coins (easy addition)."

And it goes all the way to:

“- From ages 16 to 100 :)) (Secundary School and adults) : the game will be a great challenge for this age range as well, increasing the difficulty of the mathematical operations and the rest of the levels.”

4 Likes

a remnant of the cultural zeitgeist from such works as:

??

4 Likes

there’s also a free product called teach your monster how to read or something like that, it’s pretty good

6 Likes

This here is a free Kindle book for the day. Kinda cute

6 Likes