I'm chilly for chili!

It’s winter. I’ve spent the last hour locked outside because I’m a moron when it comes to how keys work. After a hot bath and some tea I realized… I love chili and have a great recipe for it. However, I was wondering if anyone has a go to recipe for something like a nice chili, soup, stew, etc that can warm me up!

6 Likes

2 cups of milk (500ml)
pinch of salt
4 teaspoons of good cocoa powder (gives “strong” cocoa, some might prefer a teaspoon less, i forgot taste varies lol)
6-8 teaspoons of sugar, -depending on taste, how heaped the cocoa spoons were, and how much whipped cream you add
whipped cream “to order”

(ps don’t “boil” the cocoa, let it stay a little below boiling point)

6 Likes

Easy stuff is appreciated for us messy youngsters, 21 here and momma has my covered for now, thank God.
Should learn more than the super basic stuff now that I have more time tho :see_no_evil:

3 Likes

Olive Garden Copycat Zuppa Toscana

INGREDIENTS

1 lb Italian sausage ( Mild or Hot)

2 large russet baking potatoes, wash, sliced in half, and then in 1/4 inch slices

1 large vidalia onion, chopped

4 slices cooked bacon, chopped

1 teaspoon Accent seasoning (optional)

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

2 garlic cloves, minced or 1 tablespoon of minced garlic from jar

2 cups packed in measuring cup kale or 2 cups swiss chard, chopped
2 (8 ounce) cans chicken broth, add i envelope of chicken bouillon for extra flavor

1 quart water

2 teaspoons flour or 2 teaspoons cornstarch, mixed with enough water to make a paste

1 cup heavy whipping cream ( tempered)

DIRECTIONS
Chop or slice uncooked sausage into small pieces and cook until browned and meat is ground in bottom of your soup pan over med-high heat.

Add onions, garlic, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to Sausage and cook until onions are clear and aromatics of the seasonings blend together.

Reduce heat back to medium and place, potatoes, in the pot. and slowly add the Chicken Stock and water and stir. (use Chicken Bouillon envelope for extra flavor is Chicken Stock is weak).

Cook on medium heat until potatoes are done and stir occasionally. Once Potatoes are done, Add flour or cornstarch and simmer for another 15 minutes.

Reduce heat to lowest setting and sprinkle in your kale and cooked bacon and slowly pour cream while stirring.

Check for taste and then serve

8 Likes

HOT COCOA!!! Genius! I swear, once I became an adult… I tend to forget this stuff exists.

2 Likes

Oh yum! Now my tummy is growling! Some crusty bread to dip would be divine!

2 Likes

No idea what you’re talking about, it’s hot hot summer time here

7 Likes

I know garlic is a staple in italian recipes, but it’s better used and then removed right after cooking. This way you have the scent without the aggressive taste. Just use half garlic, press it with the side of a knife and add it to the pot. You can also pin the garlic with something like a toothpick, this way it will be easier to spot and remove from the pot.
Apart from that :yum:

4 Likes

Nice recipe @ccarabellese. Olive Garden makes some yummy soups :yum:

My favorite is their Chicken Gnocchi, but since I’m vegan I substitute vegetable broth, meatless chicken, and make a light almond milk béchamel to replace the half-and-half.

Chicken Gnocchi Copycat

Ingredients

• 1⁄2 onion, diced
  • 1 stalk celery, diced
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1⁄2 carrot, shredded
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 3 to 4 chicken breast, cooked and diced
  • 4 cup chicken stock
  • 1 salt, to taste
  • 1 black pepper, to taste
  • 1 tsp thyme
  • 16 oz potato gnocchi
  • 2 cup half-and-half
  • 1 cup fresh spinach, chopped

Directions

1. Saute onion, celery, garlic, and carrot in olive oil over medium heat until the onion is translucent.
  2. Add chicken breast, chicken stock, salt, pepper, and thyme. Bring to a boil, then add gnocchi. Gently boil for 4 minutes, then turn down the heat to a simmer for 10 minutes.
  3. Add half-and-half and spinach, then cook for another 1-2 minutes until the spinach is wilted.

Recipe originally inspired by Food.com with 5-star rating and 149 reviews.

6 Likes

Creamy Chicken Soup
A chicken at about 1kg, whole or separated into parts if you want it to go a little quicker.
1 large carrot
1 Leek
1 Onion, or two, or a really large one. You like onion? Take 3!
2 Bay leaves
10 Black pepper corns, or more. You do you mate.
2 tsp dried dragon… sorry, Tarragon
Water enough to cover the chicken in your pot that fits a chicken.
2 tbsp flour
2 dl cream, whichever kind you fancy.
salt and ground white pepper

Put that chicken into a pot, cover it with water, if you separate the chicken you might want a bit more water than just covering. But you can always add more later, so don’t worry about it.
Cut all the veggies into bits and toss them in there as well.
Boil it all for about an hour and a half, or until the meat is about to fall off the bones.
Fish all the chicken up and start separating the meat from all the other stuff, shred or cut the meat into suitable bits. Remove Bay leaves!
Mix the rest of the soup up with a stave or pour it all over the kitchen counter in an attempt at getting it into a food processor. Get it all smooth.
Now you’ll want to combine the flour and some water and get that mixed up without any greater lumps in order to add that and the cream to the soup. Add the chicken back in along with the tarragon and then add salt and more pepper until your happy with the flavours.

Try to refrain from eating it all straight out of the pot.

5 Likes

:yum:
a m g
stop making me hungry with this delicious stuff :weary:, i can barely eat anything but dry bread currently :persevere:

:drooling_face:

1 Like

Are you sick? :mask::woman_health_worker:

1 Like

yea, unfortunately got hit with a touch of norovirus/stomach “bug” :face_with_thermometer:

1 Like

Aww, I hope you feel better soon

4 Likes

thank you kindly :hugs:, i’m hoping so too,
(want to eat all these yummy things! :smile:)

5 Likes

I’ve seen mentioned onions and I urge you to try caramelised onion.
It’s a simple recipe and warm comfort food at its finest, the most surprising dessert.

5 Likes

That moment you want to like a post to show you care and not to be liking the fact someone is sick…

4 Likes

Oh and I wound up going with Chinese Hot Pot! I had a packet of Little Sheep Hot Pot Broth (Green)

I added some whole dried red chili peppers to kick it up a bit.

I always have thinly sliced lamb and beef vacuumed sealed in my freezer. Threw in some shrimp balls, tofu, tofu skin, potatoes, shitake and enoki mushrooms, spinach and cabbage. Made some rice noodles to soak up all that nummy broth!

Tonight I’m going to make @Gnuffi hot cocoa!

@ccarabellese & @DanosaurJr I LOVE OLIVE GARDEN SOUPS!!! When I get the bottomless soup and salad, I usually get these 2! I’ve learned to make my own gnocchi, so I’m going to have to make soup next time I make some now!

@Fraggles I love recipes that use leeks! I might have to make this from my go to chicken soup recipe!!! And no… you’re not the boss of me! I’m going to attach my face to the pot like a trough, it sounds too good to make it to the bowl!

@WikiTora I actually love unusual desserts. Onions can get super sweet when cooking them so I’m surprised I’ve never heard of a dessert with the main ingredient being an onion. It looks delicious though. I’m adding all these to my Paprika App :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That kind of onion isn’t really a dessert, but it tastes like one. I’ve ordered that thing at a restaurant and I was thinking “I’m eating an onion… how’s possible that it’s so bloody tasty?” :scream:

2 Likes