I have an illness

First thing I thought about when I saw the topic and the OP.

8 Likes

It was clearly meant as a joke but addiction and hoarding are definitely an illness. A compulsion disorder usually tied to a personality disorder. So even though the post was a joke there are definitely people that suffer from such things. My compulsive habits come from borderline personality disorder. Mental illnesses still count as illness, considering you mentioned depression you should know.

5 Likes

Both of you, try reading past the first couple of words. If that doesnā€™t change your attitude, thenā€¦ Iā€™m not qualified to help you.

4 Likes

:thinking:

6 Likes

:joy:

pure gold dude (u usually crack me up like that)

7 Likes

I meanā€¦ as long as you are not taking money away from your or your family needs who cares how much do you throw at video games? Disposable income is imho for filling your otherwise brief and meaningles existence with things or activities which makes you happy and feel better. If hoarding video games makes you feel better - go nuts.

Yes,subjectively there are better ways to spend your money ( there are also way worse ways ) , but thatā€™s ā€¦subjective. As long as you dont spend your money to hurt someone itā€™s up to you.

No need to feel bad about it in any way.

7 Likes

Ultimately, I think itā€™s important to do the things that make you happy, that cheer you up, etc. It may not be the most important thing, but I would imagine it ranks up there among the top priorities of most people.

You hit it right there, itā€™s not really a big deal unless you are getting yourself into trouble for it. Fortunately I donā€™t smoke, since that would be so much more costly. But I like my beer, and so I get nice beers, and I am able to enjoy them. As long as what I am doing is not harmful to others, I should be able to keep doing what I am doing, right? Harm to self doesnā€™t count, obviouslyā€¦ (I donā€™t drink excessively, for anyone curious enough to read into that.)

As for my original interpretation of @EyeQue 's initial post was that it was a joke aimed toward the accumulation of a large Steam library, and of course I had to chime in, because I made my account less than 4 years ago, finally caving to the Steam scene and my current accounts sits at slightly larger than his in terms of number of games that, well, Steam recognizes me as having.

Steam says:

SteamDB says:

While itā€™s not a significant problem for my personal health and wellbeing that I am still collecting games, despite trying to not do it too much, like I used to, I still consider it something more or less as a mechanism out of control. When I was younger, and still, I have always had the tendency to collect and to hang onto things. My library (physical books) got a bit overwhelming when I was younger, because my parents let me buy pretty much whatever books I wanted. I read almost all of them, bought them in small quantities each time, but they just stacked up. And I had trouble getting rid of them.

Looking around me right now, I have these collections:

I still have most of my Sega Genesis games, probably just a handful, maybe 10 cartridges, and who knows why they are still sitting in the closet. I have about 20 N64 cartridges also, from the next era of video games. I have about 50 Wii game discs, still lined up next to my PS2 and my PS4 games. I havenā€™t had the Wii connected in about 4 years. My PS2 I actually used to play Katamari Damacy once in a blue moon, itā€™s still plugged into my TV, but last time I fired that up was before that game got onto Steam and I stopped feeling the need to play it on the PS2, afterall, the graphics quality is better on the Steam version anyway. I have about a 100 PS2 discs all sitting next to my TV. My PS4 library is also pretty ridiculous, and it kept expanding until I stopped feeling the need to always have physical games. I will still buy one every once in a while, but a lot less after hopping over to PC for most of my gaming needs.

After giving away my rare Pokemon cards and Magic the Gathering cards after I stopped playing those for good to my friends who were still active in playing and collecting, I still have the left overs. I quit those realistically in about 2004. Itā€™s already been 17 years since I played a physical game of MTG or Pokemon, and I still have so many cards just sitting in boxes.

I also buy physical board games, and we have what looks like a small mountain of Jigsaw puzzles strewn across the house. We have done some, while others we had every intention of doing, but havenā€™t had time to, or at least havenā€™t made time to. The board game closet is over full and we have Scrabble hanging around the living room, Wordspiel sitting on the dinner table, a bunch of little one-player puzzle games all over.

But at the end of the day, I am not really doing anything thatā€™s harmful to anyone else, so I suppose thatā€™s okay. I am also not spending so much money that we are struggling to pay for basic necessities. Itā€™s just amazingly many the things that I never thought I would have in such quantity, but then once I have them, I have trouble getting rid of them. I think maybe when I am older and my brain isnā€™t all there (I suppose if I ever get there) I might have some serious hoarding problems. Right now I look around rather amused and not really finding it problematic for myself either. I remember visiting some houses that are lined floor to ceiling in old dolls and such still in their boxes, thinking, why would anyone do that. I didnā€™t understand it as a kid. Now as an adult looking at whatā€™s around me in my own house, I start to get the sense that maybe it started off as being a small thing, then the next small thing, and before long, a few things became a few more, and a few more became a small stash, and a small stash got bigger until it became out of control. I can see someone coming over to my house and seeing everything I have, and thinking about how much useless junk and clutter I have, probably in the same way I was viewing those other homes in the past. Anyway, I think right now itā€™s just a mental hurdle, and we are planning to move, probably to a different state in the next couple of years, and I wonder if I will be able to steel myself and just get rid of most of this stuff thatā€™s just deadweight now. (Itā€™s not that we donā€™t get rid of stuff, my wife makes fairly regular trips to the Salvation Army and donates some stuff, but she knows what things I have a tendency to hold onto, and she just lets me slowly come to grips with eventually needing to get rid of some of it.)

Anyway, I do have a problem with collecting and having trouble stopping from doing so, itā€™s just not a huge problem thatā€™s causing a detrimental effect on my life and wellbeing yet. I think some people will say I have a mental illness to some degree.

9 Likes

Yup,i can relate. I also like my craft, silly priced beers so i try not to add up how much i spend on them :smiley: ā€¦ trying to avoid that premature heart attack :smiley:

6 Likes

You forgot to list ducks and quails.

8 Likes

Oh no :eyes: my secretā€¦

Can I just tell yall Iā€™ve been playing Miitopia inbetween work work and varsity work and my name is Acorn in it (because AcornAvenger) and my mii gave a gift to someone in itā€¦ and it was an acorn :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

6 Likes