How does one get steam keys from steam?

I am trying to figure out how to get keys for the game hole. How does one get the keys from the steam app?

1 Like

just put random number and letters in, it just a joke to feed it real keys.

Wut? I kinda sorta fed it a real key…

6 Likes

y last year u had to put in real keys but not this time apparently

1 Like

You can’t get keys when you buy things from steam. You have to buy them from 3rd party stores like Humble, gamersgate, greenman gaming or something like that.

3 Likes

Didn’t have any, so i bought the deed off the coin shop, fed it back in…

Tho it may break the time space continuum

2 Likes

you don’t get steam keys “from” steam as a private person,
you get them from other retailers/sites that sell steam games
most people have these “leftover” keys from purchasing game packs or bundles from various sites, like humble bundle, (or from freebies when that happen), and people just stack up their spare keys of the duplicate games, to trade/give later, and i guess some of us are just using some of those to put in
-others are just putting in random nrs apparently :confused:

3 Likes

It does spit out real keys… but i am now worried about next year since… someone posted it on reddit, and they are filling it with random letters… this is evil, i am super annoyed atm… because the sub reddit has 55k member… imagin just half of them putting invalid codes

Please Admins, please tell us that there’s some kind of measures against this :disappointed_relieved:

3 Likes

There was no measure against it last year. You could just keep tossing random junk into the hole all day. Don’t worry too much about it.

1 Like

u sure about that? From what i remember it would NOT accept random stuff last year at all, not even once

As long as it looked reasonably like a steam key it was accepted. The submission was only limited on format not legitimacy.

1 Like

hm, k

FYI from what i remember is You can’t verify if a key is real or not without redeeming it on to steam first so legit take this as a joke as it seems to be hence its April Fools Day.

3 Likes

u’d think that retailers have a way of doing that though; i don’t know

1 Like

Buuuuut… last year community was way way smaller than today, and members were legit members, not game farmers like most of members joining after the reddit post

1 Like

I put in a real key and got a working one out.
In some ways I wish it didnt work because it was super dooper party pooper :confused:
I was going to put another in but it inly takes one :frowning:
Its a great thing though!

4 Likes

Yeah, I threw in real keys I got from other sites like Humble or Indiegala. Mostly because I would feel really bad if I put in random stuff and someone got that later after throwing in a real key.

1 Like