Horror movie recommendations for somebody new to the genre?

I skimmed the thread so apologies for any duplicates, but here are my faves over the last few years:

• A Quiet Place (more suspense than horror, but good regardless)
  • Annihilation (again, not straight horror)
  • It (2017)
  • 10 Cloverfield Lane (more suspense)
  • The VVitch
  • The Babadook
  • What We Do in the Shadows (far more comedy than horror, but still)
  • The Cabin in the Woods
  • Let the Right One In (original)
  • [Rec] (original)
6 Likes

Oh, and Iā€™d be remiss to not mention the new movie coming out by the director of Hereditary soon:

5 Likes

Iā€™m such a silly goose, I completely forgot we watched both Annihilation and A Quiet Place last Halloween. Annihilation was really cool, kind of an SCP movie, and I love that kind of stuff. A Quiet Place was mostly good, but some serious flaws held it back imho, like the scene with the nail on the stairs, and (SPOILERS!!!) the dadā€™s sacrifice in the end.
The Cabin in the Woods was amazing, how could I forget about it on my list?

Oh, and definitely looking forward to Midsommar! :o

Also, kind of a source of recommendations for horror is Ryan Hollingerā€™s channel. He is how I even learned about Hereditary, and also why I am definitely going to watch Ghost Stories, which beat Hereditary as Ryanā€™s favorite horror movie of 2018.

3 Likes

Tossing in a classic: the original Wicker Man.

4 Likes

Boom! Said the same.

You should totally see that, man. Double recommendations means itā€™s haha lit. :fire:

Anyway Iā€™m trying to find some of my lists now. Iā€™ll edit this post when I find some.

3 Likes

Me too! Me too! Heā€™s the only reason I watched Alone in the Dark II right to the end. (That is a very bad movie, though not as random as the first one).

Interrupted my scrolling to squeal happily but so far lots of interesting things on the list. Iā€™m not into gore either. Prefer say, The Stepford Wives to most Tales from the Crypt offerings. Perhaps, itā€™s suspense vs horror? Not sure.

In terms of horror, I can only suggest Pumpkinhead. Found the ending deep and a little sad. Itā€™s a monster movie, but youā€™ll see for yourself.

Love creepy stories so Iā€™ll lurk here for suggestions. One thing I want to watch in the original Halloween, because Donald Pleasance. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Dude I fell asleep yesterday, Iā€™m so sorry.

I use a website called Letterboxd to log my movies. Here goes some excellent stuff for you:

MODERN HORROR LIST:

https://letterboxd.com/vvitchenbaum/list/modern-horror-just-isnt-good-anymore-sure/

RIDICULOUS MASTER LIST:

IF YOU WANNA UNSETTLE YOURSELF:

THE CRƈME DE LA CRƈME:

Some tips:

1. you can sort the list. By year, rating, etc.
  2. you can change the list views to be either only posters or titles as well.
  3. these lists are all very good, and several of the movies already recommended by our chorinies are in there.

You got a LB account by any chance? Iā€™m there. Feel free to ask whatever you want about LB, Iā€™m a crackhead for that website.

4 Likes

Just watched Creepers, which the die-hard fans on Youtube complained was heavily edited and missed crucial points. I dunno about that. It was very good on twists and yea Donald Pleasance again. :stuck_out_tongue: First met him in an episode of Columbo. Never knew about his other works until lately. :slight_smile:

3 Likes