Hitman (2016) Free From Steam... Kinda (expired)

So you can grab Hitman for free on steam. But there is some complications if you have some of it already, so I am going to post the information on how to get it from the site I saw this on.

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK IF YOU OWN ANY HITMAN 2016 EPISODES or DLC

Spotted on r/freegames, follow the instructions here
I had trouble getting this to work. My problem was that I had Episode One - Paris in my steam account. I had to go into the game in my steam library, select support and permanently remove this game from my account. Free for another 10 or so hours.

Step 0: Check if you have Hitman 1 DLCs in your steam account. If so remove.
Step 1: Open Hitman (2016) in the steam store and select Play Game but do not install
Step 2: Open Hitman 2 and install the starter pack (10gb).
Step 3: Start Hitman 2 and close. Either alt+F4 or quit through options.
Step 4: Right click Hitman 2 in your steam library and confirm the Legacy DLC is in your account. Steam should also start a 31.6gb update to Hitman 2.

HitmanTM1/2016/Season 1 has basically the same engine as HitmanTM2/2018/Season 2, so they have a “Legacy Pack” which puts the first game into the second as DLC. You will lose the original game launcher after this free weekend, but you will not lose the H2 DLC, in which the entire first game is playable in the second game’s engine with upgraded features.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/236870/HITMAN/

14 Likes

Pretty interesting workaround/exploit. I wonder if they are going to catch up to this.

Now if someone would figure out how to put Hitman 2 as a DLC into Hitman 1…lol.

6 Likes

this sounds super risky, as someone that own the entire Hitman 1 game incl all dlc/missions, 14+dlc, i don’t think i’d want to risk that, on the off chance i might get to keep them as legacy in Hitman 2, specially not if this isn’t intended and if it might get patched.
for people that don’t own the full game/just 1 of the freebie dlc i’m sure it’s a potential okay solution/tradeoff

7 Likes

Yeah I guess that is true, I added a disclaimer

7 Likes

And this is only for people who own Hitman 2, to be able to benefit from this I suppose.

5 Likes

those ppl automatically get the legacy pack when once they own and launch hitman 2 regardless, so there’s no reason for those to do any of this

6 Likes

Anyone can download the starter pack for free so I believe anyone can do this

6 Likes

Oh right, I wasn’t expecting this…

Cheers!

I am not trying it b/c I already got the legacy pack for H2, so no need to mess around trying to get something I already have.

5 Likes

cool i did not know this, was actually about to google whether or not i had to buy the legacy dlc since i just got Hitman 2 in humble choice, but haven’t launched it
cheers moomoo :+1:

5 Likes

Thanks it worked for me. And remember you need to run Hitman 2 1st.

4 Likes

I only had hitman absolution in my library so I thought I would give it a shot. It worked and was rather easy thanks to the instructions. Thanks for the share and instructions :grinning:

4 Likes

I too have hitman 2016 and a lot of DLCs for it.
I just installed and started Hitman 2’s starter pack and I appear to have gotten all the legacy DLCs attached to it. It’s also wanting to do that 31 gig update as well so I’m not sure why you needed to remove 2016 edition first.

4 Likes

I think if you only had Episode One it would not allow you to claim the game as a whole because it would register as if you already had the game, so in that case, this would make sense to do.

4 Likes

Could this be why its free?
First thing I saw when I opened steam today

6 Likes

That’s the “trick” pretty much. Until 1st one is free to play you can claim it as DLC for 2nd one.

6 Likes

Ah I see. Playing the system…

5 Likes

Ok. I figured out why it didn’t work. I missed the free weekend. Oh well.

5 Likes

Well, I will just pretend this never has happened :joy:

5 Likes