Hey everyone, guess where I am!

No, no. Googling was the intended way to play. I would not expect anyone to actually know and recognise these places.

On a train again. Spending the whole day traveling today apart from a short break of 2 hours for a late lunch and a walk about a city park/castle ruin.

5 Likes

Aomori City :D That triangle building is pretty unique. Amusingly, I found it not through looking up that building, but by looking up cable-stayed bridges in Japan.

5 Likes

Ooh. Okay Frags. ^^

@eishiya Now I have to look up that bridge type. :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Today I’m up hiking across another mountain. The morning weather was rather stormed and uncertain, but as the day progressed the sun finally peaked through and some nice photos could be had.

I wonder where this intriguing forest path might lead.

Oh, nowhere at all.

8 Likes

@Fraggles about to come across the mystical 3-meter-long-white-beard sensei atop the fogged-out mountaintop that is going to teach him all he needs to remember to overcome all odds right when his nemesis is about to beat him

3 Likes

Time for another round of where in the world is Fraggles Santiago.

This city was surprisingly full of tourists, previous places the only other visitors were Chinese and I’d maybe see one other European once in a while. Here if run into them all over the place. Constantly.
There is a well restored castle with an expansive castle grounds and adjoining garden, also quite massive.

Not quite sure why but any time I passed by the station throngs of people would be loitering around taking selfies with it. So I took a picture as well. Sure the gate is rather striking but I’m not sure I see the mass appeal.

7 Likes

The garden was full of really nice spots half of which were impossible to get a decent picture of due to tourists with their cellphones out taking pictures, get a real camera loosers! Or get out of the way for those trying to put some effort in : )

There was also several of these ingeniously designed anti-cellphone walker bridges.

7 Likes

:joy:. I love those bridges. Roflmao.

The pics are awesome. A whole castle. XD.

3 Likes

6 Likes

Thats Peru right? Oh nvm, they got the same cables hanging out there too :laughing:

3 Likes

a69

Or rather a replica from our point of view. The Japanese have a definite affirmative viewpoint of the ship of Theseus thought experiment. Since Japan was united through decades of warfare almost all castles wound up destroyed by fire or razed to prevent further resistance, natural disasters and just the climate here will wear down anything not meticulously maintained.

Thus most castles here contain no “original parts” but they look just the same, made the same and mostly in the same locations.

5 Likes

That’s sad but heartening in a way. At least they still tried to preserved the history. Do love old castles and ruins, but yeah,proper maintenance is a whole ton of dedication.

3 Likes

The rather predatory marketing taking advantage of fandom.

Big box with your favourite character emblazoned upon it, inside is merely the same box of the same candy being sold in the next isle. And because it’s Japan of course the candy is actually inside an even smaller little plastic bag.

I saw them for more than half of and got one mostly just to find these things out. I did get a maid Subaru fridge magnet though, which I am not displeased with.

But the predation doesn’t stop here, no. There are 5 members of hololive 2nd gen. If you collect each 5 magnets they form a pattern. Also there’s two different patterns and whether you get the A or B pattern is random.

6 Likes

gotta catch them all

3 Likes

Pretty common stuff in Japan, slap anime character on your packaging to boost sales.

3 Likes

It’s not just that. Branded deals like these are a pretty good way of supporting a franchise or creator you like. You know why you’re overpaying and you get a little trinket you desire out of it.

What bothers me is the oversized extra box, that’s just entirally pointless and harmfull not only in additional material use, but all aspects of shipping is worsened by a notable margin.

Then the random element is where things gets predatory. These are your fans, they want to support you. Don’t go playing games trying to squeeze them for more then they would chose to spend already.

5 Likes

No points for guessing this one.

Here’s an offer to anyone here, if there are any particular character, from any sort of Japanese media they you’ve been a fan of and would love some sort of minor trinket featuring. Feel free to send me a pm about it and I’ll look around the stores I plan to visit anyway and should something reasonable to mail turn up I might get it for you. Of course this necessitates that you’re comfortable providing me with an address to send it to.

7 Likes

Frags, you and your camera take incredible pictures. XD. Wish I was there. :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

I have returned home and now I have thousands of pictures to go through, cull and edit. Might even show a few.

4 Likes

Nice, man. I imagine you had the time of your life but at the same time it’s always great to go back home as well. And now you’ll also have all these wonderful memories that will stay with you forever. Really happy for you you got to experience this.

3 Likes