Headphones you recommend?

Recently I’ve gotten tired of my 10$ headphones that are as comfortable as a rock and the sound quality of one too. So do you have any recommendations?

7 Likes

Budget? Over the ear or on the ear, or in the ear? Need more details on what you have to spend, what you expect, how you’ll use it etc etc.

4 Likes

For me, I never had a comfortable on-ear headphones, I prefer in-ear earbuds.

If you ever had a good on-ear headphone, I’d like to hear about it as well.

3 Likes

I had one I found comfortable (after testing a dozen), it was a JVC, but they don’t make that specific kind anymore. Since then I have since found out I vastly prefer over the ear and so no longer find any comfort in any of them, but I am not OP so he will have different preferences despite what I think. :slight_smile:

If he’s looking for suggestions though, I would suggestion over the ear, HyperX Cloud II, if he’s into gaming and music for the desktop. If he’s mostly into mobile mostly like smart devices, then it would be different.

There’s also Sennheiser and Steelseries (Arctis Pro for example) and Logitech, which are also highly rated. And Audio Technica. But again, it all depends on 1. budget 2. preference 3. how it’ll be used (mainly gaming, music, mixture? Mostly for smart devices?) 4. extra features.

If he’s just looking for a good headphone replacement for music and one he can use for gaming (no mic), then something like the JVC or the Sony line would be more than enough, all under $20. If he pushes the budget, he can get something of higher quality for about $30. Something from Logitech, like the Logitech G430.

If he wants in the ear, then something like the Sony MDRXB50AP, which is about $30 right now on Amazon from a normal $49.99.

4 Likes

I’ve been using a pair of Sennheiser HD558 for many years now and they’ve been excellent, they’re not super high end but they’re up there a bit at least and I’ve never had a complaint on audio quality or clarity. They’re light enough that I spend many hours every day wearing them without feeling like they put a strain on me, though they were a bit tight when they were new but they adapt and soften after a few weeks to fit your head.

As has been mentioned already it depends a bit on your budget but I found these both affordable and great value for the money. Though I bought them in 2012 so they were a bit cheaper then, still going strong and I see no reason to buy anything else for years to come.

Also not sure if the 558 is in production anymore, if you want to go a little cheaper there’s the 559 that looks on sale still and if you want to go a little more expensive there’s the 599 that looks all the same except they’re tan and I can’t understand why they thought that was a good idea.

6 Likes

ha… i see what you did there,

my headset is the logitech g35 wired it gets the job done, check on newegg they have them on sale pretty often,

also dont bother with wireless those always break after 3-6 months

4 Likes

Budget: 60$ or below
Over Ear
I’ll use it for gaming and a little bIt of music
I want them to last long and have good sound quality.
I would have put these on my initial post but didn’t want it to be you guys shopping for me, just your recommendations

4 Likes

I really honestly think you should consider trying to put another $100-130 on the table for it. I don’t really know what $60 gets you in the way of headphones but I’d really recommend against any sort of “gaming” headsets, or headsets in general in my opinion.

6 Likes

I’m not super picky on sound quality, I just want something that will last and that is comfortable, so I don’t really need really high quality headphones. But I’ll take a look at higher budget headphones

2 Likes

Okay then, my personal recommendations.

Now each of the above has varying prices and quality, and features.

Now, I absolutely recommend the HyperX series (just google it, everyone loves them lol even got the STDS treatment from Linus) for your budget and needs. They are comfortable, they have high quality builds, they sound great, you won’t get head fatigue, the cups feel great, they’re over the ear, and the mic quality is good. If you cannot find Gen 1 (Cloud I) and you are not willing to push just a bit more savings towards the Cloud IIs which are $89, then absolutely try to get the Cloud Pro OR the Cloud Core. (Pro > Core)

If the Cloud Pro/Core does not work out for you, go for the Corsair Void. If that doesn’t work out for you, go to the G430/etc. However, be aware that while they sound fine, lots of people complained about the comfort of them, specifically around the headband. The cups can be replaced, I’m sure though.

The Audio-Technica are worth considering for their sound. You can always get ModMic later if you want (lots of people prefer that anyway) mic support.

Now I want to talk about the Cooler Master MasterPulse Pros Gen1. They were originally $69, but they dropped to $49 due to the new generation coming out. Now, I own them. I think they’re insanely wonderful. I’ve tried various headphones over the years, JVC, Sony, Corsair, Logitech (lots of Logitech) and had the beautiful chance of trying out a HyperX Cloud in store once, and I consider them to be the best that I’ve had. They are over the ear, they sound amazing, they’re beyond comfortable (No super clamping! It shares this with HyperX!) and they have a good reach of cord but I feel I need to be honest about one flaw that I think greatly hurts the CM headset series. And that is the inline sound control box on the wire. It is very fragile. Once it breaks, your audio will go with it (I wanted to cry when mine went out). :sweat_smile:

Well there we go, my recommendations. Hope it helped! :slight_smile:

There are very few gaming headsets that are good. HyperX is the only one that is overall good and everyone was surprised by that. A few Logitech are surprisingly good, and I think one Corsair, plus the CMs, but if you have the money to spend a good headphone + mod mic or blue yeti is better for sure. However, not a lot of people have that kind of money and need solutions for the now, so that’s why they end up going for the gaming headsets. Convenience and price.

13 Likes

Great recommendations, but it’ll take me a couple of weeks to decide. Thanks

2 Likes

I am currently using the hyperx cloud 1 and can vouch for them. Very decent for the price

5 Likes

if your looking for a headset/headphones (mic is removable) the Corsair HS60 are pretty good. The sound quality is pretty good and built pretty well for the price. there is also the hs50 i believe it’s the same just with out the usb dac for 7.1 surround and its a little bit cheaper usually but there currently the same price on Amazon US right now.
EDIT: also these are closedback headphones the mesh is only for looks.

5 Likes

As @Rhyagelle and @PeteMcc already said, Hyper X Stinger and Cloud are light, comfortable, sounds great and are cheap too.

6 Likes

HX Cloud I , best bang for the buck.

6 Likes

I guess I’ll be unoriginal and also say that HyperX Cloud (I or II; also Core probably) are great. They’re very comfy and the sound is decent. The models with inline controls (CloudX/ProGaming/Silver) should be avoided though since the controls are low quality and seem to break easily.
The only headphones I’ve tried that were probably more comfortable were some AKG’s that an audiophile friend of mine had but I think he got them for well over a hundred bucks used (or was it over 200). Although I see very similar models under $100 in their “professional” range, so they might be worth checking out.
Logitech G35 (and G series in general I think) are just slightly worse in terms of comfort compared to HX Cloud and deliver slightly better sound from what I remember, but I wouldn’t recommend them since they use rather brittle plastic in swivel joints and often break within a couple of years from what I’ve seen.

7 Likes

The Sony 1000XM3!!! <3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpGyGT8vZmI

4 Likes

Yo can confirm, the 558s are indeed excellent. I’ve been using them for a few years now on my main pc.
I use a nice pair of wireless Sennheiser HDR 175 on my tv setup too, those are great too but I can’t really recommend them with the price tag.

4 Likes

I’ve been using variations of the Sennheiser PC360 for years and am a huge fan, I won’t buy another headset. Super durable and comfortable with a great mic and sound.

5 Likes

I’m also lookig for new headphones/headset so thanks @Nateninja21 for opening the thread and all others for their suggestions! I had the steelseries sibera 200 for quite a few years and was very pleased with it. Super comfortable (which is the most important criterion for me) and decent sound quality considering the price. But now the mic is somewhat faulty and my friends are constantly complaining about the crackling sounds :sweat_smile:

I’m quite interested in the HyperX Cloud II but I have my own sound card, so I don’t really have any use for the built-in sound card or 7.1 shenanigans. Could I still use it with a 3.5mm jack or is the Cloud 1 or Pro the better option in this case? Also, does anybody have experience with the other siberia variants?
Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

4 Likes