Has Humble Decided to Abandon Us?

Whut! Doesn’t EVERY forum have an aging minbari on their forums spouting wisdom-nonsense?:roll_eyes:

6 Likes

Every forum has someone usually spouting nonsense but not wisdom-nonsense :rofl:

4 Likes

The programming ones are absolutely great. Working on a game with RPG Maker VX ACE using one of the books I got from humble a while back.

It’s gonna to total trash, but it’s coming along. I’ll happily share with with you peoples when I’m done with it… but my uhh… crippling Factorio addiction has been hindering progress. (I run a dedicated Factorio server as well)

3 Likes

They used to be constant, as far as I remember. I’d buy them as gifts for my brothers all of the time. Now they’re scarce and when they do appear, they’re either reruns of older bundles or pretty…mediocre.

It changed after they were bought…and bought again and again. Right now thoughh there’s the sale so there’s that.

2 Likes

No the decline was long and steady, nothing changed the week IGN took over. Humble had already been worsening for a good 6-12 months.

Besides it’s not actually the humble side of things we should all be concerned about. There’s nothing to gain from IGN screwing over humble bundle, unless we’re just expecting sheer incompetence.

No the real issue with a media outlet operating a retail store is that you can’t trust the media outlet to be unbiased about anything they are also selling. This seemed like such an obvious point I have so far neglected to mention it. But everyone’s panicking about how humble is being ruined and I guess it’s just that no one was really expecting honesty out of IGN in the first place or something.

But there it is anyway.

5 Likes

Oh. I could have sworn they were bought once before IGN bought them. I guess I completely imagined it. :sweat_smile:

Well, it is a shame whatever the cause. A great site that people loved that provided great games and provided for charities is losing itself.

2 Likes

I can’t say i agree with everyone on this. While i haven’t seen a game bundle that i’ve been interested in for a long time (more than a year), i was never able to spend more than a $1 on them anyway so it’s not like i was ever helping anyone.

However, they gave away so many free games over the past year or so (over 20 games!) that it’s been really good for me. I very rarely buy a bundle (i don’t have the money) so from my point of view it’s been an improvement.

3 Likes

I have come to realize that not buying anything and just sitting around getting free games is a pretty good way to still amass a large collection of pretty good games as well. Sometimes I just can’t sit too long waiting for something to become free though…

4 Likes

If you keep buying, you will end up like me. Every game they give away free; I already have…UGH!

5 Likes

:thinking:
…, so what you’re telling me… is; i should never buy games anymore? :sunglasses::bulb:!:thinking: :blush:
:joy:

6 Likes

No! Wait for the giveaway…or those luscious bundles…with a few unresistable Chrono deals thrown in…

4 Likes

Yeah but we’re all going to take those free codes anyway even if we have it.
b4Pk9yv

11 Likes

Talking about the downfall of Humble seems to imply that it’s gone from good to bad, however may I suggest a shift in perspective? Perhaps their early deals and bundles were so extraordinarily good we got used to the high quality games suddenly dropping in price to $10-15 and Humble eventually caught up to the release schedule of AA and AAA developers. So now we have to wait or subscribe to the Monthly bundle which I agree has taken priority over the other bundles because the best deals they secure go straight into a Monthly.

I personally like high-quality monthlies: it means I can subscribe to them as a service and know I’ll get great content every month to keep forever, because even though I’m not in the mood now for an RTS, I’ll eventually play the Warhammer III campaign from this winter’s bundle. But sometimes it’s not a new RTS, it’s a game like Quantum Break: great story easily worth $12. Even Destiny, of which is both a looter shooter and MMO which I dislike both, I’m playing with both my brothers because one is a Destiny fan and the other is a Blizzard addict so it just made sense to play a bit with them when it dropped this summer in my inbox from Humble.

The combo of being too awesome at the beginning and shifting to a subscription model has effectively downgraded some of their regular bundles, yes. But I try not to complain about something I still enjoy, still appreciate, and would miss sorely if it disappeared next week. Humble gets ~85% of my video game budget because they allow me to directly support my favorite charity (Wikimedia Foundation) through the purchase of games there. When was the last time Valve donated? Or Fanatical? Or any other storefront? They probably do some donating in the background to minimize their tax burden, but 1) unknown, 2) even if they do they don’t let you choose the charity like Humble, and 3) guaranteed largest percentage goes to charity from Humble, versus profits coming first at other stores. So yes, Humble is still awesome. Maybe not 10/10 awesome, but they set their own bar high and it’s tough to leap hurdles that high for this long, sometimes they stumble for a month.

13 Likes

i don’t meant to complaint either, sorta… -i’m just cheap and (game)“greedy” :smirk:
“give me all da gamez; for 1 monies plox!” :money_mouth_face:
:smile:

5 Likes

Related: I’ve received direct confirmation on Twitter from Jimmy Wales that Wikimedia is getting our monies from buying Humble stuff. They’re big fans.

4 Likes

so is today the day we will get our well deserved quality bundle?

3 Likes

Let’s all hope for that to be true, anyway.

3 Likes

I’m ready for the “build your own bundle” to come out of the Humble Store again.

grabs popcorn

5 Likes

There is this:

6 Likes

giphypopcorn

5 Likes