Guys! I need opinion about a specific monitor!

So, i can get the Acer ED242QRA - 23.6" 144hz Curved gaming monitor for a pretty good price and i was wondering if there are any big downsides.

1 Like

I believe @onLooSe has a few strong words to say about curved monitors. I’ve never used one myself so I couldn’t say.

3 Likes

It looks ok, especially with its refresh and Freesync, although there’s a similar monitor which might have a better quality panel from MSI (the MAG240VC)

2 Likes

The thing is, i can get the acer one for like 150 euros, which for my country is pretty cheap.

And would there be a problem if im using the nvidia 1050ti instead of an AMD gpu ?

1 Like

Nope, no problem, and If I recall correctly the latest Nvidia drivers allow the use of adaptive sync on some Freesync monitors. If it’s a good deal then I doubt you’d be disappointed, depending of course what you’re coming from.

I was going to get that MSI monitor I mentioned, and from what I could see on single monitor setups at that sort of size the curved screen isn’t really an issue. The reason I didn’t get it was simply because I’m cash poor and went the second hand route instead.

Are there any other monitors you’re considering instead of this one?

3 Likes

This is pretty big topic, so I will just lay down a bit of stuff to get the back and forth replies to a bare minimum.

Curved monitors have only one selling point, which is that you don’t need to tilt your head to see properly the left and right edges and mainly the 4 corners who kinda wash out colors on the most flat ones. They tie this to better immersion or something among the lines :wink:. I agree to a small extend on that one.
It depends on the size of course and the fov created by the curvature arc. This one has kinda small arc which is way better than the more bend ones, because it leaves more wiggle room for you moving your head back and forth and tilting to left and right which is unavoidable during even 40 minute sittings.

Here we have a bit of an issue though, because you will try to force yourself to stay in the same position almost all the time. If you do not every lean you make will make your experience kinda annoying if you are working on it or reading big chunks of text, or even watching a movie. If you use it only for gaming this issue is a lot less, but here I can ramp up the most problems.

For gaming you will get the promised “immersion” for mainly strictly 3D games: FPS, 3rd person games, racing games, etc. For everything else that’s 2D you will require some bit of time to adjust that straight lines look crooked. For working on it among the lines of everything graphic based like graphic design, CAD drawing, Web design, regular drawing you will have problems distinguishing what is simple straight line. Your brain will take some time to adjust eventually after 1-2 weeks probably, but this very thing makes such monitor incompatible if you are going with multi monitor set up involving flat monitors. Your brain will be kinda in shock for few seconds when you look back and forth between the different ones and I doubt this experience can ever go away no matter how long you stick with such configuration.

That’s as well where I’m going at, but this leads again to more problems. If you are hoping to multi task easily the only way to double up on such monitors is to go one over the other with the same curve arc and distance from your head. It’s kinda tied to my first paragraph as well. Size does matter in this case and I can really strongly say that going for anything curved being less than 32 inches ultra wide is kinda plain stupid.

First of all you are supposed to sit like 60(bare minimum) to more likely 80 CM away from the most big monitors out there and this makes the corner issues of regular flat ones to show only after the 30 inch range which as well hits the ultra wide resolution spot. I can’t even recommend 28 inch curved (smaller the curve in that case the better) one for single monitor set up and I haven’t seen smaller one like your 24 inches at all. For that size I don’t think you should even consider anything compared to the Flat ones.

You haven’t mentioned what use you want to get out of it, but I can’t justify it by any means I can think of. If you require some multi tasking better go with 2 or 3 smaller Flat ones, which you can put next to each other on a slight angle, because I think budget is as well what matters here. If you don’t care about that just grab bigger or the same size flat one for gaming. If you need to do both things you need to go either the huge curved size or sacrifice gaming display while having an extra one on the side going the flat route.

Of course you should go to any physical store and see for yourself the 24 inch curved ones. If you like them… you will get adjusted to them eventually, but personally so small is really REALLY pointless.

P.S. I’m no monitor expert on the panels and color qualities, so that’s why there’s no point to address those and I just try to explain things on the practical side.

3 Likes

Damn. I couldn’t connect the word “monitor” with a computer screen for a couple minutes because my job is making me crazy and it has a whole new meaning to it for me now xD

2 Likes

I have checked other models, but not with the intention of buying one in the near future. Its pure coincidence that i stopped on this one. It was mainly because i just got some extra cash and i saw it for like 150 euros.

1 Like

lol. I wonder what you connect it with at first ? :smiley:

1 Like

Getting an email about someone monitoring me and now they want to make complains or give me congrats on whatever. Its a dice roll

1 Like

I use this and also use a secondary flat screen right next to it. I have yet to notice any issues.

I think it’s 1060 or above and the lesser known fact is that you have to have Windows 10.

I’ve yet to have an issue with this. I think if you get the angle and height right it should be fine.

Here’s a bit of an issue though. Find me a cheap VA or IPS 24" 144hz 1080p flat monitor. Because I can’t find one. It’s 27" or curved. your choice.

1 Like

Yeah, as soon as my job changes to a electronics market person I will help you with that :smiley:

I will start to lay all of the technology on you in the instance snapping my fingers.

This pretty clearly means you arent using those for any kind of work though… doesn’t it? Getting adjusted to a proper straight line between the 2 indeed takes time and if you dare to tell me it doesn’t … than you are 1 out of millions special.

1 Like

was rhetorical. I did a search and was unable to turn up anything.

not graphical work, no.

Exactly why I passed on getting a curved monitor. Besides, most curved computer monitors are so aggressively curved that you have to be too close to them anyhow in order to get that feeling of “immersion,” meaning more eye strain and and even harder time figuring out straight lines. Then imagine also using a monitor with no curvature for the work computer… and your brain will always be confused.

For me it made way more sense to just get a 32" and push it a good distance from my face.

2 Likes

We tried 2x 32 inch curved (1 per person for a test) ones in the office and they were kinda ok if you use them for few days … the one that was around 28 inch was far from enough to work on revit and 3ds max live sync at the same time. I’m not even mentioning if you had to open a document at the same time, but they had small curve which is supposed to be a good thing.

Though I think one of the photoshop guys got stuck with one of the 32 inch ones cuz for some reason he liked it. :smiley:

1 Like

I think at this size on a single monitor used for games, and with the shallowness of the curve, it’ll pretty much make next to no difference and be a gimmick you can tell your friends about. As onLooSe states it’s always better to see a monitor working before you buy it, but sometimes you just need to take a gamble (heck, this is what I did with a mechanical keyboard).

3 Likes

The problem with some of the displays is that they kneecap themselves with it. This is the case at my local microcenter. They only display 1080p60 on all monitors. It’s really obvious on the ultrawides. It’s better to find somewhere with a good return policy because a sale floor is going to be much different than your room.

1 Like

You can always tell them to plug it in a decent PC so you can set up the resolutions and what not and test it on the spot. At least that’s the case here… It’s like when I’m buying loudspeakers or whatever - of course I want them to play my music on it on the amplifier they have of my own choosing and the DAC player I have.
Same with TVs if you ask them to show you the flash drive you brought to test the screen quality… If they refuse such simple tests they should be losing a lot of customers :slight_smile: