Frostpunk GOG key [done]

That’s what I thought at first as well, but it’s been made clear by devs talking a little more openly than their contracts really allows them to that the deals are made as a single lump sum offer, not based on number of keys claimed. So it doesn’t matter how many people pick a game up, the devs got paid in order to put the game up. From what I’ve seen the actual effective price has ended up considerably low, like well under $1 per key claimed in many cases.

3 Likes

Well, having a copy of frostpunk would be nice, I don’t have the game on any platform, seems like a good game after a few gameplay vids, so if it’s still open I would like to enter

3 Likes

@Imaynotbehere4long Quick quick! We have a winner! (uh, I mean, a legitimate entry!)

HUZAH!

6 Likes

That’s NumberWang!

3 Likes

Given the reception, I should probably clarify/come clean: I knew most people interested would have the game already, fully prepared to remove that restriction after a while (honestly, I was more surprised when BlivetWidget implied actually qualifying). The main reason I made this giveaway was to vent/make fun of Twitch Prime padding their catalogue with games that were already very-publicly free, hence the…attempted facetious nature of my posts in this thread (it’s not just Frostpunk this month, but also Stubbs the Zombie! Surely they could’ve combined whatever they spent for those games to get one never-before-free game). That said, I was also curious if anyone interested actually skipped the Epic giveaway and why (besides already owning it elsewhere, of course).

I really do have a Frostpunk key for GOG and I really am giving it away, but…c’mon, Amazon.

@Fraggles Did your friend mention why he wants to play Frostpunk? (and why he didn’t just make a Chrono account to enter himself? Like I said, there’s no account restrictions)
@Donluis524 You forgot to mention why you didn’t get it when it was free on Epic. Unless…are you Fraggles’s unnamed friend? :scream:

I think I’ll close the giveaway and pick a winner after you both respond…and after I remember to log back in.

P.S.

That’s actually really interesting. I honestly thought this wouldn’t have been that different from saying the winner is chosen at random, especially compared to giveaways like this one where you also have to say something somewhat personal to qualify.

3 Likes

But that time travel one was fun and remember the Ugly Christmas Sweater one??? What a hoot?

https://206.81.1.216/t/chrono-giveaway-14-the-ugly-christmas-sweater-giveaway-all-winners-notified-check-your-pms/14496/

3 Likes

It isn’t anything to do with how personal it is. It’s more to do with the requirement to impress by way of… whatever the adjudicator feels like. In the giveaway you linked, every shared opinion carried equal weight and earned an entry. That is a vastly different task than “figure out a way to impress me.” Probably this will be difficult to grok if you don’t already understand the difference, but I guess let me know if you have any questions.

BTW, I’m passing no value judgements here; I hearted your post and expressed appreciation for your generosity. I exist in a society of people who are far and away mostly quite unlike me so when something is actually aligned with my desires it’s a delightful surprise and I certainly don’t expect otherwise. This giveaway isn’t bad, it’s simply not for me or people like me. You expressed confusion at the lack of entries so I provided the only perspective I can, my own.

5 Likes

He’s just not particularly interested in joining any forums at all. He want’s to play Frostpunk because he has seen me play it and thought it looked like an interesting game. There really are no deep complex meanings here I’m afraid.

4 Likes

Well, idk what I was doing that time, probably thinking “yeah another epic GA for a game I would even bother to play it” (plus I don’t even have the client installed) but I do like GOG with the DRM-free feature and its client, so after seeing really few gameplay the game seems good, resource management on an arctic landscape, seems charming

3 Likes

I dunno, i will probably never play it cause it seems stressfull and sad.

2 Likes

Gonna be honest, this was a close one. I do think Fraggles had the better replies (I didn’t know the lump sum thing until now), but Donluis524 followed the stated rule of replying to the thread yourself…I think I’ll have to stick to my principles and give the game key to Donluis524. Private Message coming soon.

Yeah, that was supposed to be another joke, with the implied answer being “everyone got it on Epic already.” I didn’t think I’d need to mention it again since I put it in the top post, but oh well; lesson learned.

P.S. Would you be willing to say why you’d want to play Frostpunk but didn’t get it on Epic? Not for the giveaway, but just because? I’m curious.

2 Likes

Citybuilders are good fun and a bit of a nostalgia trip for me. My 8th grade year, the school I went to basically ran out of money and lost all their good teachers; my friends and I ended up spending most of that year playing Age of Empires II all day. That was when we discovered you could have more than one player as the same “player” in AoEII, allowing for true multitasking, micromanaging power as long as you were in synch with each other. It’s primarily a conquest game, but the citybuilding side of the game was probably the more fun role for me.

As for why not Epic, I feel like they haven’t demonstrated trustworthiness. I’ve sort of stopped paying attention at this point, but I recall in the early days at least they were always pulling nonsense like mining your Steam data, denying it, having it proven true, etc. There have also been games scheduled to come out on Steam that get bought off to delay that date and release on Epic first. I feel like a strong contender doesn’t need to play dirty like that. And finally there’s just the lack of “extras” on Epic. I constantly see people in the Borderlands 3 forums begging for help with this or that issue with their Epic version of the game because there’s nowhere to go for help over there.

2 Likes