Free: The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall [DRM free]

16 Likes

That’s been free for a long time. I could never get it to work sadly.

9 Likes

Oh, this is awesome! I mean I would have loved it if it was the kind that gets tied to your account, but free is free! :slight_smile:

12 Likes

My knowledge of computers has greatly improved since I last tried to play that game. I’m going to give it another shot. Hopefully it will work. If I recall correctly Arena was also DRM Free as well.

4 Likes

Super easy to get it running unless you’re on Win 10 where I wish you the best of luck. Win 10 does whatever it wants and when it wants.

6 Likes

thanks for this I hope I can get it working!

4 Likes

Use Daggerfall setup. It makes it really easy to run on windows 10. There’s also DFinstall but I don’t think that one is worth doing. And IIRC you can customize how you want to play the game with fixes and extra content. There’s even Daggerfall unity which I think is complete to my knowledge, I could be wrong about that, but it allows you to play the game with more up to date graphics. Glad to see people enjoy this awesome game! :grin:

4 Likes

Arena is also free as well and I would use Arena setup to make the install easy. So whoever didn’t know that and is interested, go snag that. I would also use TES Arena remapped which modernizes the movement to WASD. I think you can actually bind the controls in dosbox which I should try to see if that works since when you type in the mapper you have to hold down alt while you type. It’s really bizarre. Choose whatever method works best.

5 Likes

nope I did not know! I like the oldie look of that game too. thanks, I haven’t tried yet but the very first link to a game download was that DFinstall, so should I just delete that one?

3 Likes

No problem. And you can really just choose if you want DFinstall or Daggerfall setup. Just go with whatever one your more interested in. I personally used Daggerfall setup I think.

4 Likes

whats the difference?..

3 Likes

Here’s the site where Daggerfall setup and DFinstall are from: Daggerfall:Files - The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages (UESP)

Here’s some info on them:
DaggerfallSetup is a ready-to-play Daggerfall install compatible with modern Windows Systems originally compiled by Ancestral Ghost, now maintained by Daneel53. The game already includes patch 1.07.213 and the official CompUSA Special Edition quest pack and DOSBox. Unofficial fixes, quests, translations and utilities are also included as optional installation components. Current release is DaggerfallSetup 2.15.0.

DFinstall: Official Daggerfall release available directly from Bethesda’s Elderscrolls.com website Courtesy of Bethesda Softworks.

I don’t really see any specific info about DFinstall besides it being the offiical install tool from Bethesda. But from what it seems like is that Daggerfall setup is really all you need since it is still being upkept and up to date.

There is also Daggerfall unity if your interested https://www.dfworkshop.net/

5 Likes

thanks for that! Im not that informed on the differences between a programme so I thought I’d ask. :slight_smile:

so essentially the other version has all the fixes and correct things needed to play it already on it, that’s sweet, that they’d do that.

4 Likes

Yeah no problem! I love Daggerfall even though it can be brutally difficult and I kind of like the awkward flailing of the mouse to hit enemies. It’s such a unique way for combat, but I do kind of enjoy it and it’s pretty crazy that one person did all the work to really customize the game and fix the bugs. It’s such an enjoyable game. Just talking about it makes me want to play it again.

2 Likes