Free Pulp Fiction Mags

Here is some more Free reading for you. Thought @Punkster would really get into this as well as several others.

Warning: In keeping with the niche that pulp magazines occupied, some of the covers or content might not be safe for work or children.

"Pulp magazines (also called Pulp Fiction) were published from 1896 through the 1950’s. The Pulp Magazine Archive has digitized 11,120 pulp magazines that can be read online and is made available by the Internet Archive, a non-profit library of millions of free books, movies, software, music, websites, and more.

There’s a wide variety of titles including Weird Tales, Worlds of IF Science Fiction, True Detective, Witchcraft and Sorcery, Captain Billy’s Whiz Bang, True Story, Adventure, and several more… The science fiction titles are fine, and you’ll find tales by Isaac Asimov, Poul Anderson, Arthur C. Clarke, H. G. Wells, Theodore Sturgeon, Fritz Leiber, Larry Niven, Orson Scott Card, Clifford D. Simak and more. Other titles have differing levels of content."

I remember reading some of these as a child. They blew my mind…Especially the covers.
https://www.techsupportalert.com/content/read-11000-pulp-magazines-online-free.htm

17 Likes

Oh wow, that’s really cool, Delenn. I shall take a wee look, thank you, this is something I used to have great interest in but haven’t for some time now.

I wouldn’t have thought of it but you bringing it to my attention, has certainly peeked my interest again.

Thanks very much.

ABOVE TOP SECRET: FOR LEVEL IX EYES ONLY

Wait a minute, is someone spying on me, is there some history of my hobbies/interests and all of my earlier life’s works available on the internet? First @coralinecastell and now @delenn13 knows more about me than I do. I’m really concerned now, just not those really or concerned parts. I sincerely hope they don’t find out about all my earlier shenanigans as an award-winning, Rockstar, Actor, Writer, Artist and Astronaut. If so, that could be, nay, WOULD beest disastrous for humanity, especially if 't be true twas revealed, that of mine darkest secret, (of which I swore an oath to uphold, beyond my last breath in this mortal plane) that I have tried so hard to bury, for almost 42 years now. If known, it would bring nothing but shame upon my family. Curse thyself of that fateful day, when I wronged not only myself but the whole world. It was meant to be so simple, all I had to do, was go up and collect my 14th Nobel Peace Prize but I slept in.

10 Likes

I knew you would like it but I thought maybe a few others might bite too Maybe…Like @PeteMcc, @Fraggles and @techparadox

I used to love those mags. I would have to hide them because of the covers. My mother would have had a heart attack if she knew I was reading “such trash” but the stories man…the stories… They were out of this world…literally! The stupid covers usually had nothing to do with the story…

OK…back to R/F…Dang Taxes!!!

5 Likes

I can recommend Lovecraft’s early work if you enjoy pulp fiction, really just the classics (Curious Case of Charles Dexter Ward, Pickman’s Model, The Dunwitch Horror, From the Mountains of Madness, The color out of space, The Reanimator).

4 Likes

I wish I had time to read everything I wanted to read and here you go dumping 11000 magazines in my lap, what?

4 Likes

I am in the same boat if I had more time to read them I would be more interested, and there are some great authors there, might have a look from time to time. Thanks for the recommendation.

4 Likes

You’re not the only one here, you know?

TOP SECRET CLASSIFIED PICTURE OF @Enki

Sloth space station. Mission: full take-over of moon cheese. Astronaut: @Enki, S. Shot taken by unknown photographer c. 1970.

7 Likes

Can confirm, in the station rn

Don't click

tumblr_mm4uf176i91snlikwo1_500

One with the crew, so you can frame it.

the earth is round

6 Likes

lol, that is surprisingly unsettling somehow

4 Likes

Thanks for the heads-up, @delenn13 - old pulp mags, especially those featuring Lovecraft, Howard, or any of the old-school sci-fi authors, are always fun to have a look at. It’s interesting to see the writings in their original, published form, rather than in some collection that you snag off the shelf at the bookstore. It’s easy to forget that the great short stories of old were published as monthly snippets in various magazines, instead of in wholesale volumes like we now see. It’s a bit sad to see stuff like this disappear from the landscape, as media moves on, but thankfully we have the Archive to keep copies of it around.

That being said, you have to watch out for stuff getting moved or removed from the archive. Back in 2017, they had the full collection of all the issues of Omni magazine, which was a great sci-fi and futurism mag. Someone bought the rights to the mag, and the Archive had to quit hosting it, and instead stuck up a link to the site that was hosting it. That site has since disappeared from the face of the net and been rebranded, leaving the collection floating in the wind somewhere. Bit of a bummer, that. There were some good short stories in there along with the articles.

3 Likes

I used to have subscription to Omni and Alfred Hitchcock’s Mystery Magazine back in the 90’s because i seemd to miss all the Pulp Fiction i used to read and couldn’t find any. When they came in the mail, I had problems doing anything else but reading. I had to stop. I never got anything done. I, then. remembered why I had quit getting them in the first place. NTM, I ran out of room to store them.

2 Likes

Omni was more of my dad’s jam when I was growing up, as he got a subscription as soon as it started publishing in '78, and he kept every issue. I was too young to even think about reading them at that time, and I didn’t really get into them until my teens in ~89-90. That was an amazing backlog to read through. Once I started reading them on a regular basis, he and I would fight over who got to read through an issue first (I usually won, because he took forever to read an issue and was typically still working through the previous one). He kept with it until they quit printing the magazine and went online-only.

It’s worth noting that I did see (and purchased) a copy of a new Omni revival from the newsstand at the local pharmacy a few months back. Apparently they’re planning on publishing quarterly, although I’m not really sure how well that’s going to go for them in today’s magazine climate.

2 Likes