Epic Games vs Apple and Google

No no no, Apple WOULDN’T be allowing sideloading apps. They would merely be allowing devs to generate keys for their own apps that are already on the app store so they could be sold elsewhere. Basically, the key would say “go to this app on the app store and give this person ownership of the app,” the same way Steam keys do. That’s what I was trying to say, and I think that’s what Rhyagelle was also trying to say.

4 Likes

that’s not how apps/appstores work…
-and the point is still flawed because you are demanding/forcing them, free of charge, into their business -apple is more than a platform, ex steam, apple is the entire iphone -it’s closer akin to the wallmart mention i did than steam

3 Likes

Apple also develops the platform you run the apps on and through as well as provides dev tools, documentation, support and other resources to developers on their platform. While Epic wants to suggest they’re just a glorified payment processor that’s just simply not the truth.

3 Likes

that’s actually part of what confuses me about Epic’s entire Apple attack(beside it being a stunt ofc), Apple literally does everything related to the Iphone, OS, hardware, construction, support, “infrastructure”, tools etc etc -and take 30% cut for their troubles (which Epic doesn’t like)
-on the otherhand, google does literally nothing besides being a repository - and takes a 30% cut of purchase/mtx - and somehow this offends Epic somewhat less than Apple’s “egregious monopoly”… :man_facepalming:

4 Likes

Not entirely accurate. They develop(ed) the Android base OS as well, they just release it as open source for companies to build on.

6 Likes

very true, - still very minimal effort compared to Apple i think, but indeed noteworthy of being more than “literally nothing” like i reduced them to :+1:

4 Likes
6 Likes
4 Likes

Is it just me, or does that seem really obvious? Like, how would a jury of one’s peers even work for two corporations? Would it be made of other corporations?

4 Likes

no idea, but from what I understand that it says here, if it wasn’t for COVID, they might have had a jury for this, so go figure

not sure “game journalists” are qualified to accurately report on these things anyway :joy:

4 Likes

Like they’re qualified to report on anything at all.

7 Likes

i think, not 100% sure, the video i saw of lawyer covering the EvsA thingy, he said/read from the brief, that both epic and apple respectively requested a bench trial, deliberately, seemed kinda unrelated to “covid/delays” since bench trial would still be in 2021 regardless due to the judge’s schedule (doubt 1 month makes a difference for them - probably more the uncertainty/potential bias/“IQ” of a jury they want to avoid)

5 Likes

something positive for smaller developers did come from this shit show apparently:

also:

In June, the European Commission announced an antitrust investigation into whether Apple’s app store was in violation of EU competition rules, following a complaint from music app Spotify, and an e-book distributor.

Australia’s competition watchdog has also announced an investigation into the market power of the app stores run by Apple and Google.

8 Likes

good lol

2 Likes

imagine if MS had demanded a cut, even a small one, on every purchase made using windows OS :laughing: i think we’d have seen stuff like this a lot sooner :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
(is it petty i hope apple gets shafted from these investigations?)

3 Likes

8 Likes

meanwhile thinks paid exclusives, refusal to sell your games if you don’t accept exclusivity, is okay and not anti-competitive :ok_hand:

4 Likes

We all knew Tim Sweeney was a moron. Hopefully this ends the debate. lol

4 Likes
4 Likes

now that’s a smart move, totally undeserved if approved and should have been handled before breaking ToS, but smart move anyway,
likewise if they do it in EU countries since they already have a gripe against both Apple and Google :joy:

4 Likes