EA to Buy Codemasters ... euhhh

Inb4 the hatred of EGS exclusivity comes in for the hate

4 Likes

how is “hatred”/dislike against arbitrary exclusivity a bad thing?
customer-wise epic exclusives is not a “good” thing since the PC ecosystem doesn’t “belong” to Epic :thinking:

9 Likes

I didn’t say my opinion on it. I just say people will inevitably lost their heads if that were to happen.

3 Likes

well yea, but i don’t think it’s an unreasonable reaction to that type of “behavior”/exclusives on PC
or maybe i’m just reading too much into it when you use words like “lose their heads” and “hatred” - and you don’t actually intent to imply any negative connotations ? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

4 Likes

Considering its significance and the impact it has on any one person’s life, I’d say it’s grossly unreasonable.

3 Likes

how so?

3 Likes

What do you feel is more damaging to us: the fact that we’re not getting the toys we want, the way we want them, or those negative, leisure related emotions, which fester within?

3 Likes

idono, the fact you can only buy them one place, on their terms (at least for a year for the timed exclusives), or the fact that because of Epic pc “import” games are reduced, so now i also don’t even have the option to buy them “locally” if it’s not AAA games allowed to be sold here retail (with epic connection ofc - but that’s a given).
How about 0 competition for any game Epic doesn’t “generously” allow to be sold on Humble? or at least heavily reduced competition. Or that because of all of the above you now have to pay 1 price, a more expensive price, for your pc games, because Epic sets the “price” they want (even if just through currency conversion)

no drm free opportunity anymore since Epic removed that, the way i understood it from @Tencore family “share” also went out the window(no idea if fixed or if epic plans to)

how about user choice of platform if you don’t “like” to support 1 company/don’t want “chinese spyware” or whatever silly conspiracy one might have for preferring another platform.
Someone prefering GoG, or Steam for whatever reason, now don’t have a “choice”, on an open platform, but are forced into 1 thing because of openly monopolistic practices and desires - something with only worse potential outcome the longer it goes on (ex if Epic becomes the new “defacto” monopoly over steam)
how about them having shit service and infamous reputation for handling things; which you are now bound to.

Once again being “forced” onto 1 platform, just like steam, with 0 security or “ownership” over what you buy (unless they brought the drm free feature back?), something some people might like even less because of “muh nefarious Tencent”
in what way is it “grossly unacepptable” to dislike, or even be mad about a monopoly practice and monopoly build up and arbitrary removal of your customer/player choice and option as a result of it?

Epic store is great for moomoo for example, because of their regional pricing atm at least. For me personally, like i mentioned during the sale, after they switched it’s now a more expensive store for me, not just compared to local retailers - but then again, i don’t have to worry about local retailers anymore, since Epic removed 98% choice of that :wink:

so yea, let me/“us” be “happy” about all that, and just consume things without thoughts concern or opinions/reactions, like good little customers should be, since after all a purchase is never a wholly “selfish” choice and purely made for the benefit of the producer so we should have no regard for anything related to said purchase and just be happy about the product in hand no matter everything else involved.

and as the final, why should we not be allowed to dislike it “reason” - how about Epic doing not just exactly the same thing they are currently fighting lawsuits against, but they are doing it in an ecosystem they didn’t foster/had 0 “anything” vested in, yet straight up engages in direct monopolistic practices despite them fighting against it elsewhere when it benefits them - hypocrisy, but we should ofc not have a thought about such or allow ourselves to get “emotional”/form opinions because of that

5 Likes

yeah, was actually thinking of buying Hitman 3 for just $19 today actually, but then I realized I still haven’t played Hitman 2 yet :joy: so might as well wait for a sale, maybe I’ll have gotten to 2 by then

3 Likes

can you get that even more reduced if you wait for sale and get the coupon?

3 Likes

yes, but any sale will probably push price below $14.99 anyways, and then you can’t use the coupon.

and too bad u can’t use coupon for pre-purchase cuz otherwise I’d have scooped that up for just $9 :joy:

3 Likes

@Gnuffi You seem to be dismissing one alternative - the option to not consume and not partake; to vote with the wallet, and spare the feels for something more substantial.

3 Likes

hmm, it’s been way too long, and ofc IO business have changed, but i can’t recall if they’d actually do a 25% discount that soon after release :thinking:
granted it will also depend on “when” next epic sale, which includes a coupon, will be.
did they do a coupon last spring, or was it skipped and only for the summer sale?
my guess is they/IO might not pay super much attention to currency conversion and base their discounts off the standard price so maybe if you’re lucky it wont reach that high discount % and you get a coupon for valentine, chinese new year or spring or something and get to have
-and in the meantime you can then finish Hitman 2 :wink:

2 Likes

yeah, so far i think there’s been a coupon every single time; i’ve even had overlapping coupons once :joy: but i’m pretty sure they’re going to avoid that going forward cuz last coupon (few weeks ago) was valid only as long as last sale

2 Likes

nonoo, i’m totally doing that, but if someone actually wants a game, because say it’s either a franchise or dev they like, even if we disregard “wanting” a new game just from pure marketing/hype/“looks”
-then you are now forced into the hands of Epic with 0 choice (and potentially much fewer depending on where you live)

think i’ve said it before, i don’t mind what other changes Epic is trying to bring to the game, in fact i approve, and even like it, but the way they are going about the majority of it, ie the exclusivity(and don’t get me started on the terms), is not just disgusting and unfitting, i find it so appalling i wish it was illegal form of practice, but i’m aware of the nuances involved in what’s going on, and even if “law” somehow was applicable, it likely wouldn’t result in anything for Epic

them giving away freebies is great for customers, and devs as far as i’m told, and is exactly the right type of marketing. The coupon shenanigans too, they hands down easily beat Steam and most other competition in value practice that way - and is in my view the “correct” “moral” approach to establishing dominance using their money/do their marketing and reeling in.

The currency conversion, like i’ve said towards moomoo, is awesome too, while might “screw” some over, it also (greatly) benefits others, which is not just awesome ofc, but easily outclasses Steam, and “rivaling” GoG (at least before their struggle)
-and if you can get a game cheaper on Epic, (or anywhere else than steam) then in my mind i think you should always go there and not feel bad about it (unless someone were weirdly hypocritical dissonant against “something” epic related @_@)
because price is a big factor in customer benefits, so Epic playing with their muscles that way i’ve no issue with, remotely, and think it’s great, (kinda pissed it hasn’t “inspired” Steam, tho i’m also affraid they might eventually fck me on regional pricing like EA did too)

and ofc the obvious, bonus love for devs, which some customers/fans might also at least in part “care” about beyond just a few cents savings (i’ve ex mentioned for Grim Dawn to come on Epic, and it being almost “confirmed” made me “happy”, even if it means giving money to Epic, just so i can throw more money at Crate)
so there is a lot of good sht about Epic no doubt

but, that doesn’t remove the sad main point,
which depending on who you are/what game it is,
if you actually want a certain game,
and your interest goes beyond the 1 year wait (provided it’s merely a timed exclusive ofc)
= then your hands are now forced as a customer, and you only have 1 choice - on an open platform/an ecosystem Epic didn’t create like ex iphones, playstation xbox.
which is bs in and of itself, and doesn’t benefit you as a customer, but made worse by Sweeney’s double standards in practice.

(and don’t get me wrong i’ve never liked being forced linked to steam either where games/publishers didn’t allow you a choice either, so i’m no fanboi of theirs for that either, and sole reason i “like” steam is just to have my sht consolidated in 1 place, and they come cheap through bundles. I don’t feel Valve offers “enough” features to warrant/“deserve”/accept locking you into 1 platform like that either, tho they were still less egregious about it than epic, at least leaving the decision up to publishers whether steam came on the disc or not)

4 Likes

Right… I’m honestly in no disagreement with anything you’ve said. I think there might be a misunderstanding steming from the possible meanings of “reasonable” (or the way I use it).

For example:
I hate the fact that I can’t validate a key without activating it.
I despise the fact that Epic sued Apple and Google.
I hate the concept of DRM so much, that when I saw it for the first time (Half-Life 2 in 2004), I said “fuck that!” and didn’t come back till 2016.
…and I have reasons to have those feelings.

At the same time I don’t believe any of those feelings are reasonable to have, even if only for the fact that I have no claim to any of those businesses, or the way they’re being run.

No matter how many reasons we might have to dislike, we still have far more things to enjoy - which I feel is rationally preferable (therefore reasonable).

5 Likes

aaahhh “preferable”
so like in essence what you mean about the “whole” thing/“anything” negative is we can choose to “ignore” it/not let it bother us and not be negatively “impacted” by a negative and just whistle instead:

:wink: :+1:

3 Likes

Unless we’re in the power to do anything about it, yes.

5 Likes

spare tires in Dirt Rally 3.0 will be DLC, and we will be acquiring mechanics from loot boxes :joy:

3 Likes

They will be SURPRISE MECHANICS …

4 Likes