Do I need to play Dark Souls I & II ?

i know, and some bosses aren’t exactly “alone” either
but since it’s just a small retype of the the fight club rules, it was more meant to be funny than 110% applicable, and in “essence” i think it applies to dark souls, (since optimally you want 1on1 -even if not all play fair) :wink:

6 Likes

Do you need to play Dark Souls 1 & 2 first? No not really. You can enjoy them in any order, although I recommend playing them in order because certain things line up interestingly if you get into the story. Do you need to play DS 1&2 in general? Absolutely. All 3 of them are great for different reasons.

3 Likes

I avoid spoilers like plagues. I’m notorious for being crazy about spoilers. This is exaclty why I didn’t just ask a search engine this question. I don’t watch previews for the next episodes of shows. I avoid pictures of the new Kamen Rider and Sentai series as best I can. People think I’m nuts.

Good. I think games are too easy these days. I’m all about casual games too, but when the ones that should be hard are getting “casualized”, I feel slightly cheated.

This is one of the things I love about Darkest Dungeon. It auto-saves constantly, so your actions are permanent. If save scumming is allowed, I might do it, which always takes away from my overall experience in the long run, and always takes away all the immersion.

I’ve been playing Furi lately. I really like how they designed the bosses with tells without making it easy at all. The patterns are switched up, so you gotta be on your toes at all times, sometimes reacting in a split second. Very tense. I love it.

Based on this description, I think I’m going to love Dark Souls bosses.

I have very limited time too, but I’ve been wanting to really get into something, rather than playing little bits of lots of games but never really sticking with anything. I know almost nothing about Dark Souls, just that it’s very beloved.

I’ve had many friends who watch me play through JRPGs because they love the story and the music, just not so much the gameplay.

I once had my roommate take over Dante’s Inferno and just watched the rest of my game, because I was so infuriated with the puzzle rooms (and puzzle rooms were his thing). This way, I still got my story.

I didn’t know if the story would be spoiled, or if the gameplay had been so improved by the third one, that the first would feel really dated.

Story aside, looking at gameplay only, there were significant improvements between Mass Effect 1 and 2, and someone playing 1 after 2 will probably have a bad time.

On the other hand, Parasite Eve’s sequel changed things up completely, and I love them both dearly.

Thanks everyone for giving me your wisdom. “Ask the community” turned out to be a good idea, glad I did. So… if I decide to start with DS1, here’s my next question:

Dark Souls Remastered or Prepare to Die Edition?

btw @Gnuffi, love the Fight Club reference! :sunglasses:

7 Likes

The prepare to die comes with the DLC if IRC, but the remaster comes with little quality of life improvements as well as proper framerate in the dreadest area of them all AND apparently the DLC as well.

PS: don’t take me too seriously on those comments, by the way, although IT IS my standpoint, I feel like I went way overboard with some of my statements.

3 Likes

if you already own PTD there is little reason to fork out money for the remaster (or so i’m “told”/impressions from watching vids/reviews from ds vets), since very little was actually “fixed”(compared to DSfix) and the graphical upgrade is minor
however since prepare to die has been removed from steam, your “only” option is the remaster, (and unfortunately), with its inflated price,
so you’ll have to decide if it’s worth the cost of entry for such an old game, (despite “remaster”), “now”, or wait for sale later,
-personally i fall in the “pc customers got treated like sht before, so this should have been a “patch”/for free, not 20$”-camp, but that’s not always how things work out :man_shrugging:

either way it should still be dark souls, not like the remaster is changed fundamentally to suddenly not be dark souls,

3 Likes

this only happens once every blue moon and even then 5 times out of 10 they stand by and wait while you finish your first fight. unless they’re an aldritch faithful or a watchdog, they have a job to do. I once used the item that lets 5 people invade you… THAT was a good day xD they actually do a meta game in the game which is like fight club, and they call it fight club last i heard, you dress up in a funny outfit and watch as people fight for the honour of calling themselves your champion. :smiley:

ALSO

FITE ME

double also

if you own a xbox 360 you could just buy it off ebay, offline mode is just as good if not better cause no invasions. Im gonna be replaying PTD pretty soon. :smiley:

2 Likes

Well there are basically two ways to pvp in this game, either you’re doing it for the fun of fighting a human opponent. In which case you’re likely looking for a fair fight. Or it is in order to collect items to boost covenant ranks and to those invaders you’re just an item drop to be collected as efficiently as possible. How frequent that is depends on how often you’re running around embered up.

2 Likes

yeah that’s exactly right, 3 out of the 9 covenants need you to be in specific places embered (farron etc) 2 of them require you to just wear the mark and wait for an opponent, 1 of them requires more than 2 people in a battle to activate (that one can get fun and hectic xD) 1 of them is a defence covenant, and then one requires you to be manually summoned by an opponent. ones a boss killing co op covenant, and one of them is the classic player defence squad, the blue sentinels, most people who cant PvP but wanna try or maybe just see it used, because a blue senti is a good man.

so a LOT of them are situational, if you’re being invaded and its not farron, anor etc, they will ONLY get a pale tongue from you, if they’re a red invader.

2 Likes

very true, i keep forgetting that last gen consoles are a thing, and sorta always mostly assume we/people are talking about or referring to Steam/PC games here
but i also thought, depending on “retailer”/location, a PTDE ps3/xb360 copy maybe just run ya near the remaster price anyway “these days”?, -or lower might be an option too ofc…

:+1:

2 Likes

well, I did say IF you already own an xbox xD but I mean over here they are pretty cheap, if you don’t own an xbox 360 then you’re probably best of playing it on your ps3 xD and if you don’t own a PS3 just get the remastered :stuck_out_tongue: you get to hear the bells of other people awakening if you play remastered at least xD don’t forget no invasions means no summons (except NPC) to help you at all :open_mouth: it works both ways :wink:

I’d say 8 times out of ten we are xD

1 Like

The combat/gameplay bit is subjective. So I played through all 3 (well part of 3, my computer broke halfway through so I still haven’t finished it) with a keyboard (fight me) but then switched to a controller (which is easier overall). I found after playing 2 that the combat in 1 felt clunky, but I wouldn’t say worse. It also didn’t take long to get used to it again, and still have fun. I actually went back and played through the DLC and beat the hardest optional boss in the game after finishing 2 completely and deciding to go back. There are Wars over which game had better combat, so it’s really hard to say overall. This applies to 3 as well.

People really loved the heaviness (all of the weapons felt weighty and like they were actually hitting) of the first one, and even with the heavy weapons the other two don’t have that as much (3 has this more than 2). What they DO have though is polish, which is why it’s considered vastly improved overall.

But to answer your current question (and I know I said not really but it’s good to play them in order for lore’s sake). If you don’t have either, then to echo the others I’d say get the remastered edition

1 Like

I started playing 3 with my xbone controller but once I ran into the first few harder enemies I just couldn’t do it. Switched to kb+m and found I stood a half decent chance at winning at least. Not sure getting used to the controls of a pad is worth the tiny extra dodge rolling accuracy it affords, especially not at the cost of the loss of my extra mouse buttons.

2 Likes

you all play keyboard?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

wow…

you’re all the real pros…

I’ve played controller the whole way, having more than 8 directions to roll is kind of a must have online.

1 Like

I doubt it. Maybe at the absolutely highest levels. But you’re only limited to 8 directions if you’re locked on anyway, you have whatever accuracy your mouse affords you if you’re free camming it. With having focus bound to a side mouse button I can unlock, dodge wherever I want, near instantly turn my camera back to face the enemy and relock it should I feel it warranted.

I actually didn’t use the mouse. I couldn’t get a hold on the controls with the mouse, so i ditched it and only used the keyboard, which worked perfectly on all three games really. I got more used to my 360 controller (don’t have an Xbone so no controller for it) but now it’s been long enough I couldn’t actually tell you which one I liked better.

@kylehayman361 I didn’t have any issues with 8 way rolling, but I will say that the four way rolling from the first game really threw me off after being away from it for so long and playing 2.

Im using a 360 controller, is there really that much of an ergonomic difference between that and an XboxOne one?

and how do you turn the camera or attack without the mouse?

2 Likes

I J K&L for the camera axis. I just mapped certain keys (i think H for attack and shift for shield and like tab for parry, and spacebar for roll) based on what I found easiest. The arrow keys worked to change what weapon i was using and what items.

1 Like

I think the arrow keys for items is what it already was, but that just seems completly alien to me xD I asked so I could do the position on my keyboard, I couldn’t play online like that xD but we’re all uniquly different, Im glad to have found at least one person who plays with keyboard for a game so intense as DS… :open_mouth:

1 Like

And I can’t actually imagine using a mouse with it! It’s funny how we can all play so differently both in controlling the game and in actual playstyle, and still beat the same game.

2 Likes

Wow, so you manage to adopt the worst aspects of kb+m setup, the imprecise dodge rolling with the worst aspects of the gamepad, imprecise and slow camera controls. Colour me astonished.

The differences between the xbone and 360 pads are minuscule really. The triggers feel a little better, the lowered d-pad might be a taste thing that I couldn’t really remark on myself. Only reason I have the xbone controller is my 360 pad broke a while back and I don’t think they’re available to buy anymore.

2 Likes