Did you miss the Bug Butcher? - Giveaway

The Bug Butcher sold out really fast! If you missed it, here’s your chance.

Give me a cool bug fact or tell me about why you like bugs, perhaps a haiku or a poem.

I’ll pick a winner on Friday (4th).

Rules:
Your forum account needs to be at least 2 weeks old.
Please only enter if you actually want to play the game, rather than hold on to it to trade or something (I can do that just as well as you can), not that I can police this, but this is supposed to be a nice thing for someone in the community who missed out.

Good Luck.

12 Likes

Well here’s a fact - You will never get bit by a male mosquito. Only the females bite! :smiley: Thanks for the giveaway!

4 Likes

Hey, like many others, I have sadly mist ‘The Bug Butcher’ in the Coin Shop, because of that I’m very thankful, that you give us the great opportunity to get this game.

When i saw that I missed this game, i was kinda sad,
since the gameplay reminds me of the browser game ‘Bubble Struggle’.

As a kid, Bubble Struggle was for me one of these games,
that you always play when you had the opportunity to go to the computer.

Mostly I played it with my sister in coop mode,
but she was way better at it than i was
( maybe because of the fact that she’s about four years older than me :3),
so sometimes I just watched her playing it.

While I, as I already stated, wasn’t very good at it, I still had a lot of fun with it,
and it was one cause, that really got me into gaming.

Experiencing this again, with a modern version of such an old game, would surely feel like old times again!

However since the task wasn’t about writing about old childhood memories,
here is a pretty interesting fact, about bugs:

Did you know that, many insects replace the water inside their body with a chemical called glycerol, which acts as an “antifreeze” against low temperatures in winter?

And to get some extra points, here is a picture of a cute May Bug:

5 Likes

Dragonflies are my favorite animal because they look so exotic and fantastical with their unusually long and thin bodies, weird heads (mostly taken up by their huge eyes, giving them near-360-degree vision), and four long wings – they’re like magical creatures to me (seriously, look at this thing). They also come in all different colors and patterns (many are even dazzlingly iridescent) and I like the way they hover and flit about (they can fly in any direction). Then, as if they weren’t great enough just based on visual appeal and their abilities, they go and do something which benefits humankind in a more practical way by eating mosquitoes and gnats (among other things), which they snag from the air with calculated aerial ambushes (with up to a 95% success rate). (I hope we’ve earned your support in the next big animal election!)

3 Likes

This BUG participated and WON the Trans-France Race in Monte Carlo.

EDIT: Sorry, please do not include me in your draw. I was so eager to share my Herbie pic, I forgot you were running a draw for the game The Bug Butcher. Yarp, I be kinda dumb.

9 Likes

beautiful.

1 Like

That bug really has been butchered though… It might be THE most appropriate response.

1 Like

a stick insect has two penises!

I don’t want to enter I just want to share my love for the Lord Howe Island Phasmid

Lord Howe Island is located in Australia but 600 km (370 mi) off the east coast of Australia. The insect was thought extinct in 1920 just a couple years after a ship wrecked on the shore releasing rats onto the island, but in 2001 it was rediscovered on Ball’s Pyramid (25km from Lord Howe Is), a literal rock in the middle of the ocean:
http://lordhowe.com/files/2012/10/Balls-Pyramid.jpg

When they found it again they only found 24 insects and as such was considered the most rare insect in the world.

A phasmid is a stick insect but they actually get quiet large, up to 15 cm or 6 in, hence their other name ‘land lobster’ and they have no wings which is why they made a great meal for rats. They are also nocturnal. Babies start out green and active in the day but become brown and eventually black as adults. Some mating pairs bond and are seen to often sleep with their legs entwined. Eggs are buried in the dirt and take six and a half months to hatch.

The reason why they were able to survive is while lady and man bugs can make baby bugs the ladies also don’t need no man if they want babies. The technical term is called parthenogenesis which is essentially cloning.

Just a few were taken for breeding and all but one pair died, nicknamed Adam and Eve they were sent to Melbourne Zoo (where I live) where they were successfully bred after a couple hiccups and Eve almost died in the first week. But she survived and went on to lay a couple hundred eggs. But here comes the problem with inbreeding, when you have no genetic diversity it only takes one problem to wipe out the population.

Another trip was mounted to get more insects and after all the trouble of just getting there (hanging off a rock in the middle of the ocean in the dark looking for an almost extinct black insect) they were only allowed to take 10% of the total population that was discovered and as they found only 17, just one lucky lady was taken.

All this was done with the hope of reintroducing them to Lord Howe Island but the reason for their demise is still there, the rat. And anyone who has had to deal with pests before knows if you see one, know that there are a shit load you don’t see. Plus would it be ethically right to wipe out a population for the sins of their ancestors? Assuming they could even get rid of them because people live on Lord Howe Island and where there are people there are rats.

Breeding continues at Melbourne Zoo and more than 1000 adults have been produced with thousands of eggs. Eggs have been sent around the world to Bristol Zoo in England, the San Diego Zoo in the United States, and the Toronto Zoo in Canada to create their own breeding programs and insurance in case something happens at Melbourne Zoo.

If you go to Melbourne Zoo you can see them after you exit the butterfly house and I think it is worth the admission just to see something that was just about gone forever thriving in one of the best, if not most effective conservation programs in the world.

8 Likes

Great post!
Thanks for the revelation.
I’ll need to find where the nearest place to me I can see one.
Australia is a little far from Edinburgh.

Thanks for making this giveaway! Very generous of you!

[Insert Bug Fact, Haiku, statement on why I like bugs, and a non-Haiku poem here.]

[Insert explanation that this was only a joke, and that I am not actually entering in the draw, while ignoring the fact that my entry was already invalid.]

1 Like

Nice Post @nebula7 I didn’t know that info and I live in Australia, maybe I should hang my head in shame.
I also do not want to enter but my bug fact is that this guy is a big bug and is in desperate need of sugar.

2 Likes

viewing/reading most of these posts, all i can say is:
##Argh!

:joy_cat:

1 Like

I don’t like bugs but I love killing them (virtually, of course)

BugZooka is the weapon of choice for the kinder, gentler way to win the War on Bugs. It’s the fast, simple, clean and fun way to manage your bug problem. http://www.bugzooka.com

I already have the game, so please don’t enter me :slight_smile:

1 Like

a real lifesaver!

1 Like

Why dragonflies are called like that ? They do fly but they aren’t dragons. There’s none in Skyrim if I remember correctly.

Someone once said that bees shouldn’t be able to fly. That’s a myth.

The person that said that is an idiot. That’s a fact.

You are right.

So there are spiders who lives under the water. They stick little air bubbles to their buts and swim and hunt under the water