Detective Pikachu

I wonder who is going to voice him in our language. I said in another topic that I prefer original actor voices, but since it’s like the same as english dub of animated movies, I think I’ll do what I always do and watch the local dubbed version. English dub is… below average I say (it has gotten better), some even say rock bottom.

3 Likes

it’s Pokemon… ill probably watch the Japanese version just because i can(even though it look like a us production)…

2 Likes

It is mainly a US production, so I expect nothing more than average at best, would love to be wrong thou, it’s been quite some time since I saw anything Pokemon related.

This kind of reminded me of a comment I saw in a local theater facebook profile feedback back when they announced they will be showing FF-Kingsglaive, a lot of people where complaining that it was a shame that they didn’t put the movie with the original japanese audio because english dubs where always awful, not realizing that that movie was not only made using the english audio as a basis for the animation, making the Japanese version the dubbed one, but that many of the main characters appearance where based on it’s majority on western actors or models.

5 Likes

we’ll see, i lost the ability to be hype for anything so on the plus side everything generally suck less than my expectation.

2 Likes

I was out there searching really hard for the “original undubbed” version of the Avatar for a while, at first foregoing watching it entirely since I could only seem to find the Americanized dubbed stuff everywhere.

Didn’t even occur to me until a fair bit later that it wasn’t actually anime and there wasn’t an original Japanese version to find. Fortunately I had not made an arse of myself and voiced any of that publicly and then I got to enjoy all the seasons at once.

4 Likes

Its not because it is Ryan Reynolds for me it because its not how I see Pikachu, I don’t think it matches a Pikachu character. I would have imagined that with English/human spoken words we would still hear Pikachu’s high voice that we have always heard with “Pi-ka Pika-a-chu” . I too will probably watch the movie but hearing a full-grown-male-voice will never sit for me.

2 Likes

You just made a big mistake by mentioning Avatar: The Last Airbender around me, dude.

I

Hecking

LOVE

That show.

I won’t even say much because if I start, I’ll never shut up.

But: your story is hilarious. Poor Bryke (Bryan and Mike, the show creators) getting confused for anime bois.

@Enki Guilherme Briggs maybe? :joy: :joy: :joy:

6 Likes

At first I thought Reynolds simply overdubbed the original footage, so I was amazed to realize that this will be the actual movie! I‘m real excited!

I think Reynold’s can do it without putting too much of his overused humor (from Marvel mostly) onto it. I think he’s going to keep in mind that he’s got children and preteens to entertain, after all.

(plus the mime scene was pretty good lol)

1 Like

i was so sad it only got 3 (too short) seasons… little Toph was so awesome :sob:

3 Likes

I just won’t watch it. It doesn’t follow anything I’ve watched from Pokemon. Looks like a cash-in to me. NTY

2 Likes

If it doesn’t feature Danny Devito, it’s #notmypikachu.

5 Likes

It actually doesn’t look that bad. As opposed to a lot of video game movies, it seems like the filmmakers actually know what a Pokemon is. The designs are a bit unsettling but the cyberpunk setting is kinda neat.

Just remember that you’re now in a universe where we have a gritty Pokemon reboot.

1 Like

also the thing to remember is that detective pikachu is not Ash’s pikachu, we are used to the behavior of that little electric rat but like we see in the first episode of the first season of pokemon, there’s a #@!ton of pikachus(you see 20 of them powering the generator of the poke center)

idk if i made sense, had a hard time translate my mind in English on that one <3

1 Like

@coralinecastell @Gnuffi My partner loves Avatar to hell and back and I’m always hesitant to give it a try. Thing is, “pilot” or first episode, as well maybe second and third (as a general rule) are bland I’ve been told, and then the makers can start working and breathing with more space.

So, I assume I should give it a try even if I’m “old” for the show and I happen to quite dislike series in general (because I often find too much stuffed scenes)?

I mean, I understand some things as an adult can be great if learned when younger but I’m unsure how fit it will be for me now.

3 Likes

I’ll PM you about this. I was SERIOUS when I said don’t.talk.to.me.about.this.show.

T’is dangerous.

GETTING BACK ON TOPIC:

5 Likes

I discovered that guy as well Gus Johnson a few days ago and they are fantastic.

1 Like

i think i watched it for the first time in my early twenties ? :thinking: and i totally loved it then
rewatched it (again) some months back, i’m 31 now, still loving it, and i meant what i said about being sad about it “only” getting 3 seasons, quickly became one of those shows where i would have just wanted it to go on forever :sob:
imo it’s an easy recommend if someone remotely likes “cartoons”(with a little fantasy/action), -coming from someone that don’t always get into “most”/all cartoons and anime, tho this one grabbed me completely without effort somehow
(yes, i’ve still not watched Rick & Morty, fite meh!) :smile:

2 Likes

LET‘S GO, BRO!

2 Likes

ditto and probably won’t

2 Likes