Crazy News Stories

It’s rather crazy how much importance some people seem to place on this.

Also a little crazy how the twitter board has acted, from “we’ll absolutely ruin the company’s future finances if you even try” to what now seems to be accepting the bid.

4 Likes
3 Likes
2 Likes

Did they really have to shoehorn that into an unrelated article? I feel like that could stand on its own.

2 Likes

Saw this on Imgur and decided to verify it. It’s legit.

I really don’t understand why this is necessary.

2 Likes

it’s not as bad as it seems at first sight

most homes probably don’t have more than 3 bedrooms anyways

I can easily imagine it might be better to impose such limit because if there’s no limit then you can end up with crazy living arrangements that lead to crazy problems

of course that would only be caused by some people, not most, but as with many, if not most laws, they’re put in place because of the few for the greater good of all

It’s also pretty poor journalism not to try and at least try to explore or discover what could be the reason for this decision, especially given it’s unanimous. I wouldn’t be surprised it’s because it costs the county $10 million a year in 911 dispatches due to all types of domestic disturbances related to unbridled living arrangements, for example. (just an imaginary example, I’m completely unaware of wat could be the reason here)

3 Likes

Maybe they were thinking crowd control. “3s Company but 4 is a crowd.”

2 Likes

You only need 2 bedrooms to run afoul this.

I was aware that it was 4+. 4 adults living together seems rather easy to achieve though. Especially since some of the University housing of the uni i went is 4 in a single dorm room.

Hence why i dont understand.

2 Likes

The landlord argument works if there wasn’t a huge housing crisis going around. I have a hard time imagining there’s a lot of vacant homes they hope to get people to take, particularly as prices are still climbing.

I’d say it’s some sort of classism at work, they’re trying to get rid of all the poor people. But judging by the prices, again, you’d have to be at least middle class to share an apartment in the area.

It is indeed a rather puzzling decision and quite frankly I’m not even sure it’s a legal thing to do. This will probably be challenged in federal court soon.

2 Likes

What are you on about? This might make a bit of sense if there were only a handful of landlords in a city, but when the barrier to entry is simply land ownership, you can’t just assume a person’s only other option is to rent from you. The landlord simply adjusts the price for utilities and wear and then it makes no difference to them.

No, as anyone who owns a house (theirs or otherwise) knows, the big costs in most places here in the US are property taxes and utilities (the latter of which are often run or overseen by the county). This is true for both homeowners and landlords, and it’s the driving reason behind the rent being “too damn high!”. Because even if you “own” property, you still have to pay for it. It is the city/county that stands to obviously benefit from requiring that more places be occupied. Vacant homes are indeed a common occurrence, and a real “problem” for the city/county.

To summarize, if someone is forced out of a rental, the landlord does not reasonably expect them to move into another of their rentals, if they even have multiple rentals that include unoccupied ones. However, the city/county generally can expect people to stay in the city/county for their job.

2 Likes

All I heard, growing up, was our cartoons were too violent.

2 Likes

Does that mean all dorms with 4+people in will have to be changed/reduce people, since that would technically be co-living?
(since most dorms don’t have all 4 people being related and it only take 1 not related to cause this)

2 Likes

Did some digging. Official document says:

" City Staff received input and concerns from residents
and City Council members regarding a relatively new trend where single family homes are being
purchased and converted into rental units with multiple individual tenants. In this arrangement,
individual tenants have leases of varying lengths, have separate secured access to their rooms,
and often do not know or have relationships with the others who are also occupying the same
single family dwelling. These arrangements are not typical of common rental uses in single family
districts that are occupied by family units as currently defined by City municipal code."

And then proceeded to ban it seemingly everywhere for 4+ people. No joke, you can have a Go-kart track in more places (Agricultural) than 4 unrelated adults living together. (same with a homeless shelter)

I’m dubious that city residents (minus landlords) complained about this. Oh sure, they’re gonna be nosy and don’t want certain unruly folk as neighbors. This doesn’t stop it from being converted into rentals though. I think something else is going on here.

If there are any dormitories, fraternities, or sororities with such living arrangements, they will likely run afoul unless they are under a different zoning. I do not know if any are in Shawnee or if they qualify for the single exemption. (wording around the exemption suggests for disabilities so I’m thinking unlikely.)

5 Likes

So we , Lithuanian civilians just bought Ukraine a Bayraktar drone . 5 million € raised in less than 4 days. It might not sound like a lot but there’s less than 3 million of us and in terms or European wealth we are considered to still be ‘poor’ . If your shitty governtments cant help,we will.

Next step is to raise 50 million € for a fighter jet.

8 Likes

I hope it gets to be put to good use.

2 Likes

Every little bit helps. Good for you. :hugs:

2 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes

When you douche so hard, you um,actually your way into laogai.

DTC10-125 Chinese long-rod wolfram penetrator - ribbed for extra pleasure

4 Likes
7 Likes