Chrono Book Reviews, Recommendations, and Deals

Thanks for new recommendations @sewcraftyme :hugs:

4 Likes

@Danacscott

I recommend this site:

Book Basset:

Always on the Hunt for the Best Kindle Deals

for Monday to Friday free books. You can get her newsletter or just check at the site for all the listings after 5 PM EST She almost always has a children’s book included daily. No membership is required.

I use this free browser clock to check times anywhere & if you’re geographically challenged as I am it displays a map and other pertinent information about the place you searched for.

What time is it

There is also Bookbub

Which requires you to create an account which I prefer not to do. In the past, they sold their mailing list and they say they no longer do so but I get enough spam as it is so I just stay away.

If you don’t use a Kindle then I believe @delenn13 could help you better than I to translate the Mobi edition to whatever format you do use.

My local library uses an app called Cloud Library. It was using nothing but the Kindle Mobi edition up until about 2 months ago. Then we were told to download this:

Adobe Digitial Editions 4.5

which I love. It downloads with a help booklet and there is a forum to help if you have noobie questions that aren’t in the help booklet and many of the simple things aren’t:

Adobe Help Community

I’ve taken up too much of your time I’m sure. I help senior people with their PCs and links in whatever way I can and I might have accidentally slipped into that mode.

I try not to come online at all on Sunday but with what is happening in Ukraine and helping Ike - which I do as a favor and to thank him for the free book - I may have to temporarily suspend my day off and away from the WWW.

If I can be of any further assistance or confuse you more please let me know.

Ila

4 Likes

lol. You no confuse. I’m a curious squirrel, so trying out new authors is cool - even if I don’t end up liking them. For instance, with Ian Wright, I read another one of the Apocalypse books and he seems to like to write gratuitous violence. The story had in angels and El Diablo, interesting idea but huge plot hole. My Bunny trained me to read critically and I can’t stop, haha.

Bookbub is pretty cool. May still be subscribed to that one. RE: Adobe, I’m iffy about that company software wise. It okay though, because I can put Kindle app on my phone or just use cloud reader in browser.

4 Likes

Thank you for sharing these sites with us. Since I’ve been doing the book club I’ve been looking for free books that everyone can read, and these sites are a big help with that. It’ll also be good to incentivize me to read more indie books since I usually just stick with the mainstream.

4 Likes

Hi @Nateninja21

I’m glad you found the links helpful.

Don’t forget this wonderful resource:

Internet Archive: Digital Library of Free & Borrowable Books

I use it often for books I either can’t afford or books that are out of print. They have many items including games to loan.

Since I fit the criteria to borrow books for impaired vision I borrow from that section.

They offer audiobooks as well as print books.

Books are available to borrow for 14 days, can be renewed, and are available in many languages.

An account is required but all material is loaned free. You can download the books to read with Adobe Reader or if you prefer not to use Adobe you can read the books right on the site.

If I think of anything else that might be helpful I’ll let you know.

Ila in Maine

5 Likes

@sewcraftyme That is pretty good site. I’ve used it a few times. Started to read the Catcher in the Rye, then got distracted by other things, as usual. ><

4 Likes

Inhabited by Bestselling Author @ikehamill

Get your #Free copy at these links:

Amazon https://tinyurl.com/2p96s8yc

Amazon UK: https://tinyurl.com/yz9fbccc

Book Funnel: Download Inhabited

Ila in Maine

5 Likes

Thanks @sewcraftyme :heavy_heart_exclamation: :heavy_heart_exclamation: :heavy_heart_exclamation:

4 Likes

I noticed that if you go to Ike Hamill’s newsletter and click previous issues, there’s almost twenty books available through Book Funnel.

4 Likes

@blomvik

I now :crown: you Awesome Book Finder!

I was wondering when someone was going to notice this.

Thank You for posting this.

I own all of his books collected through his newsletters but for those who don’t and are interested, time to stock up. YAY!

4 Likes

Good idea! :hugs:

Consider yourself :crown: ed, @blomvik :joy:

4 Likes

I do buy way more books than i should, mostly art, photo and cook books at the moment.

5 Likes

You can never, ever have too many books.

They’re good insulation for your home if nothing else.

Also when you find one you’ve not seen in a while it’s like discovering an old friend. You just want to sit down and spend time going through the pages and remembering why you bought it in the first place.

Enjoy your day as much as possible considering the absolute SNAFU the world is in.

I will be spending the rest of my day reading. First finishing a Bob Lee Swagger book and then beginning this book

Infinitely Curious is currently reading

The Way of the Strangers: Encounters with the Islamic State

by Graeme Wood.

If you are on Goodreads please join me:

Ila on Goodreads

5 Likes

Free Kindle Book

Panama Red: A Dirk Lasher Thriller Book #1

So I met this Veteran last night on Goodreads and marked this book as ‘want to read’ and he told me that it is now free on Amazon at the link above.

If you’re interested you can click the Goodreads link to read about his career in the Army and to learn more about the book.

I thought I’d share it here in case anyone else is interested. It sounds like something I’ll enjoy.

Ila in Maine

4 Likes

Free this weekend at Amazon:

A Realm of Stones and Whispers

A Realm of Stones and Whispers, the first installment in the epic fantasy series A Hallow of Talons and Tears, recommended for fans of George R.R. Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire series and Brandon Sanderson.

An Ambitious House.
Kings ruled the Silver Lands until a mysterious fog descended from the Heights and devoured the lives of everything it touched. Generations after the event, only a few ruling houses are in charge, with House Lionhelm aspiring to unify the realm again through the appointed governors of the Regency.

A World of Politics and Magic.
At the age of fourteen, Tecla Lionhelm should take the reins of her future, but between religion and research, she must also consider marriage. After accidentally killing a man, Tecla discovers there could be more to the faith she practices. Unbeknownst to her, her brother, Theliel, is uncovering disturbing truths about the Regency, the King, and a missing noble family, the Rosenfields.

In the capital, Surveillant Opherus Goldsnout comes across a young healer and the man she’s treating, Jascha, and suspects him to play a role in the disappearances of several girls. As Jascha looks for answers regarding his health, while Opherus investigates the Rosenfields, they both find out about occult societies reclaiming their stolen lands.

A Journey Down a Bloodied Path…
In a tale of ladies and lords, criminals and sentinels, maids and soldiers, followers and heretics, each must choose between duty and resentment, spirit and flesh, love and vengeance. The dream of a united land is fading, morality crumbles, and a war horn blows.

544 Pages

4 Likes

Sorry, everyone. These stupid headaches…
Ike’s book expires today so I DLed it and added it to the file below. Here’s the link for the Tor book

Here’s the link for Ike’s new book called Island King and MIDDLEGAME by Seanan McGuire In epub format. It seems they have changed their expiration time to 5 days not 7.

Hey @carvalho20ptc get your books here. :wave:

4 Likes

Many thanks, @delenn13! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

#Free eBook by Bestselling Author @ikehamill

Our quiet little suburb is the ideal place to raise a family. There is no bad part of town. The kids are smart, the neighbors are friendly, and everyone gets along. We haven’t even had a gruesome murder in months. People say that it’s all over—the murders. It’s wishful thinking. They want the property values to rebound enough that they can get out of their mortgage without taking too much of a beating.
Behind closed doors, in whispered midnight conversations, they’ll admit their deepest fear—the Bunny Butcher is coming back. Probably tonight.

Killer Savant Hurry offer ends MAR 30,2022.

Amazon US: https://tinyurl.com/f6rh4ed4

Amazon UK: https://tinyurl.com/yw5x62dc

Book Funnel for any e reader: Download Killer Savant

Never miss a #FREE offer Subscribe to Ike’s Sunday newsletter here: Ike Hamill Publishing

and read his Stories from Maine even if you’re not interested in his books.

Ila in Maine

6 Likes

thanks, mew. I finished Blood Ghost 2 last night. Can’t decide what to write for the review. It was okay, but somehow hard to read.

If you guys don’t mind reading stuff with little description of places and prefer a writer who sticks to the action, you will find reading his books a breeze.

One thing that annoyed me, it took him a long time to specify the character’s ages, ,and I’ve no idea what they look like either. Sane issue with the beginning of the book above - no idea what ages the kids age, they all seem like jerks too.

It would be jarring after you think a character described as a kid is about 10 then find out almost at the end that he’s 14. Me no likie being jump scared like that.

Am I pretty harsh on the books I like, yes, but nuts, it’'s hard not to be mad when they don’t do basic stuff. It’s hard to care about characters that you can’t picture or understand.

4 Likes

Thanks @sewcraftyme!

5 Likes