Chrono Book Reviews, Recommendations, and Deals

I bought the sequel to the Rook (which I have talked about before), The Stiletto. it came in the mail yesterday at around 11 am, and I finished it at 11 pm (but I had stuff to do between).

Loved it. I strongly recommend the series, and I think it is getting much more nuanced and interesting as more books are added.

5 Likes

Hmmm. This is the thread I was looking for the other day. I guess I wasn’t using the correct search words…:roll_eyes:

Anyways…Calibre and Calibre Portable has an update…

7 Likes

Ooh… if that handles Epub it’s perfect to keep around.

4 Likes

Adding to the list…

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/4-websites-with-lots-of-completely-free-ebooks-that-dont-suck-nb/

And they list more in the comments also…

5 Likes

(I know this is a year old, but I just had to comment)

The books’ covers are so amazing! Will check out these books.

5 Likes

I just started reading Philip K. Dick’s short stories, and I am really enjoying them, quite a breadth of ‘generes’ mixed into science fiction (dystopia, horror, a bit of dark comedy, action, a few moments clearly inspired by Lovecraft). I am really looking forward to reading the rest of it. Look in a library and see if you can find a copy of some of his work!

4 Likes

It says “teenage” but I think most readers should have read most of these. Not free but really worth a gander… Even if you go to the public library

6 Likes

Herm, watched The Stand and Watchmen - never read either.

A lot of the other authors I know, but never read. Like you said: public library, lol. My jam was always vampire stories and Hardy Boys. Sci-fi and Stephen King too, but more of the others.

On that thought, I actually prefer to Dean Koontz to Stephen King in a lot of ways.

5 Likes

Much love for Vonnegut and Adams though, excellent books by and large on the list.

6 Likes

I prefer to read the local parish’s Sunday pamphlets about the congregation of kids seeking to improve the quality of the neighborhood by picking up sticky chocolate wraps off of the street than read Stephen King.

7 Likes

Dude, thumbs up for that. I avoid news in general - don’t see the bad stuff, but don’t see the good stuff either.

6 Likes

Guys and gals, a close friend just made me aware of this:

Standard Ebooks is a volunteer driven, not-for-profit project that produces new editions of public domain ebooks that are lovingly formatted, open source, and free.

Ebook projects like Project Gutenberg transcribe ebooks and make them available for the widest number of reading devices. Standard Ebooks takes ebooks from sources like Project Gutenberg, formats and typesets them using a carefully designed and professional-grade style manual, fully proofreads and corrects them, and then builds them to create a new edition that takes advantage of state-of-the-art ereader and browser technology.

Standard Ebooks aren’t just a beautiful addition to your digital library—they’re a high quality standard to build your own ebooks on.

I’m not crying, you are.

Why not start with one of my personal favorite classics to give it a shot? In .epub, .azw3, .kepup and .epub3!

“I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe. If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other.”

9 Likes

Humans explained in one succinct sentence. O_o

8 Likes

So… I didn’t see the announcement anywhere else, but Humblebooksbundle is selling RPG books again! YAY

This time around it is the Warhammer 40k 1st line of RPG’s through Fantasy Flight Games (a company I am very, very close to in terms of product lines), Dark Heresy.

The only reason I bring this up is that if you ever wanted to play a Warhammer 40k game that wasn’t hideously expensive (the miniature games) or terrible (arguably everything that ever came out not title Dawn of War: somenumberorwordthatisn’t5 or had the subtitle space marine). $18 is not a bad price. And the best part is that it also gives you access to the 2nd ed of Dark Heresy content (which I have always struggled to find nowadays)… Lots of folks really dind’t like 2nd ed cause it was very different from 1st edition and had a lot more in common with 5th ed D&D, but I liked it (even though I really didn’t like 5th ed D&D, cause 3.5 for LIFE).

Just a short announcement.

Also, has anyone else ever read or heard of The Schrodinger’s Cat Trilogy? I read it on a plane following my vacation, and I don’t know what I feel about it.

8 Likes

Cool, but it’s not a series I’m familiar with… hope it gains some interest though. Humble does have a variety of different offerings.

5 Likes

Is this a pun?

6 Likes

Maaaaybe, or maybe IT’S DEAD!

Nah, I was being serious, it was a very strange book about multiverse theory with a lot of mindscrewy philosophy just kinda thrown together.

7 Likes

I haven’t read anything in a while which is why I have posted recently, but I just got “The Alloy Of Law” the first book in the“Final Series” Of Mistborn as google puts it.
I’m only half way through but I can tell it’s gonna at least compare to the original Mistborn series.
Definitely recommend, (After reading Mistborn of course.)

5 Likes

I got a Women’s Murder Club out of the library today - it’s the only series of James Patterson’s that I really love. Really can’t stand Alex Cross. It’ll keep me company in long lines and on bus rides. ^^

5 Likes

Just finished Recursion by Blake Crouch, would definitely recommend if you like grounded sci-fi/thrillers.

7 Likes