CCleaner has an New Update...Please Read!- Updated!

I don’t know if any of you use CCleaner…I used to use it eons ago back when it was Crap Cleaner(Yes, that was it’s name…REALLY!) But I quit using it a few yrs ago when an update Fubared my PC. But if you do use it, be sure to read this…:thinking:

“CCleaner users who run the new release may notice two changes immediately: It is nearly impossible to disable the monitoring part of CCleaner (Active Monitoring), and there are not any privacy settings anymore in the free version of the program.”

16 Likes

Will stop using that one then. Thanks. Been using System Mechanic since the deal on Humble.

3 Likes

Ugh it’s a shame they decided to destroy it. I use ccleaner and speccy (same company) regularly but I don’t want any background garbage.

1 Like

Download an older version from filehippo

2 Likes

Friendos (@Seaburn, @Truly, @Jester94):

Alternatives to CCleaner.

I use BleachBit, which is Open Source.

There’s absolutely nothing else I recommend.

Why BleachBit is better even than downloading an older version:

1. It’s Open Source, which means you know exactly what you’re getting, and it’s constantly being improved. Plus, you can help improve it too.
  2. It’s completely free.
  3. Linux.
  4. Seriously just get it. :joy:
3 Likes

I tried Bleachbit and Wise365, but I think I’ve decided to give https://www.glarysoft.com/ a go

2 Likes

I installed speccy and CCleaner just three days ago. Wish I knew about this then. I’ve been using them for a very long time…

2 Likes

Guess they didn’t like the bad publicity…

3 Likes

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. I myself stopped using it several years ago, when an upda… Erm, what you said. But good to see staying away from it wasn’t a bad idea.

2 Likes