Bug ID

Yay! I don’t have to correct you for that one!

It is a very common error though. The term ‘Bug’ is technically used only to refer to the order Hemiptera or the “true” bugs, and all the others are called insects.

You can tell if something is a bug if its wings are crossed in an X patter across its body. Cockroaches are a sort of exception, cause their wings fold up into a sort of X, but they don’t have the stereotypical triangle that results from the specific wing fold of a true bug.

@anon63424221 the best way to kill cockroaches collectively is to use a professional extermination service, the major issue is that if you don’t eliminate the ‘source’ of their population (since you are either seeing travelers from another place, or they are somewhere in the apartment) then they are going to keep coming back. Cockroaches have the ability to create large populations rather quickly.

6 Likes

The difference that I learnt is about their mouths, a bug has piercing and sucking mouthpieces or something.

4 Likes

TRUTH! All Hemipterans have specialized stylus mouthparts for sucking fluids from either prey items or plants.

3 Likes

Oh but I mean singular. Just the few that appear here, I truly don’t wanna imagine having to deal wt a whole population of them ._.

2 Likes

I came here for the memes while working on Chrono things, left learning some new cool stuff.

6 Likes

That won’t really fix the issue, but for killing just one I would recommend having a jar you can put ethel alcohol (or antifreeze) just throw in the insect.

Freezing is my personal preference but it has a few issues when you are dealing with cockroaches.

4 Likes

I don’t think it’ll solve anything, I just don’t wanna risk that they fly back into our flat so killing it is. Thanks a lot of IDing and the tips!!

2 Likes

Fair enough, but you really should press for an exterminator to come out and remove the population from wherever they are…

2 Likes

5 Likes

I actually don’t recommend a flamethrower, the damage you do to your interior is quite inexcusable…

However, extreme heat is the best treatment for pests with difficult to remove eggs like bed-bugs.

6 Likes

2 issues wt that my dude:

• idk where they are coming from, could be the trash, could be my neighbours (who must have their dog shit everywhere in the flat as the dog is alone most of the time…)
  • no moneyyys for that at all

Are you saying my Sturmgewehr wouldn’t be the best way of dealing wt the cockroaches?

2 Likes

Fair, keep an eye on it though, if you can figure out where they are coming from and eliminate that source then you shouldn’t have to worry about them getting into your apartment and setting up shop.

Not if you want to keep your security deposit.

3 Likes

If you can provide the funds to burn down the area on a massive scale -
oki

2 Likes

I don’t even fund my research, sorry but no funds here.

2 Likes

I can provide matches and some petrol; i don’t see why u would need anything more than that to burn shit down

I see how it is, you somehow convinced the ants that yr doing it for their good, right? And so now they put up the cash for it.

5 Likes

Some of us have a sense of class, at least when it comes to arson…

4 Likes

can’t argue with that [though i would argue some of u are clinically insane]

beep boop

3 Likes

If you were to tell me that when I clicked on this thread I would
Learn lot about bugs, mainly that flamethrowers aren’t recommend for extermination.
Meet a new Chronie.
Forget about said information about bugs
And watch as it’s slowly derailed.

I’d say
That’s reasonable
It’s not my first time around Chrono.gg

5 Likes

Hey @hivefleetbothan, I got another question I asked before on Reddit, but I only got replies by random ppl, nobody wt actual scientific knowledge :confused:

The question came to mind when I saw this for the first time:
[30 Japanese Giant Hornets kill 30,000 Honey Bees]

Hornets generally seem to be a rather aggressive kind of insect and because the number of honey bees has already been shrinking due to mites/illnesses and the extreme use of pesticides, I wondered how I should react when a hornet flies into the apartment? Could it possibly be better to kill it than to try to have it fly outside again? Are other hornets (those who live in Europe) less harmful?

2 Likes

lol… so that is an extremely specific species of wasp/hornet… Think of it like the ‘Great white shark’ of wasps. The harassment of bees by wasps/hornets is actually sort of normal. The bee hive is a source of good sugary foodstuffs, and good protein, the reduction in the health of bees enables the behavior of the wasps. However, wasps are important in their own right, they are good at reducing insect populations (caterpillars and other plant pests, plus they can be decomposers), and also can be pollinators.

That isn’t to say wasps aren’t jerks, but they are just a more aggressive social organism.

Generally speaking you should react to a hornet the same way you react to a bee, if the colony poses a safety hazard it is probably best to deal with it, but otherwise let it go about its business, I can recommend that any insect that wanders in can be caught in a plastic or glass cup, slide some paper underneath the cup then carry it outdoors and let it go.

4 Likes