Bad News for SteamSpy.

https://steamed.kotaku.com/latest-steam-update-is-bad-news-for-steam-spy-1825163900?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Twitter&utm_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow

Steams Blog post

How to make your games list public again

10 Likes

lol i like how they make a minor addendum to the “public” profile setting, semi useless or not, but still doesn’t add one of the more requested privacy setting options through the last 10years: making friendlist private
but sure, let me be able to choose whether or not peeps can see my playtime -on a public profile, that’s what counts :+1:
Valve at it again :man_facepalming: them and their f’n mind boggling priorities :confounded:

(PS did Gabe fire 99.9% of staff workin at valve considering how many years it take for them to roll out basic shit like this that’s been around basically everywhere else?) :persevere:

11 Likes

This will ruin one of my most used steam tools as well.

I mostly use it for my own list to find games so I can still use it for that by setting my settings to fully open. But the function of comparing libraries with friends to find something to play together will require all your friends to do the same and it’s likely most wont.

8 Likes

To change, go to your profile > edit profile > my privacy settings (right hand side) > game details is the third thing down, it will currently say ‘friends only’

I changed mine back to public, I’ve no concerns over privacy in this regard.

Hmm I’ve just thought about it more and I found it a really useful tool sometimes when on the discussion boards to look at a persons profile and see their play time and achievements. Especially one game where people were always complaining their achievements haven’t popped and you could look and see they had only got the first level not the fifth which unlocks it, oh well.

9 Likes

this is so stupid man, how am i suppose to check ppl’s wishlists now?

9 Likes

Another useless feature, Thanks Gaben.

7 Likes

If they are your friends, which is what the setting is automatically set to then you will be able to see their wishlist, only if they have changed it to private will you not be able too see it.

For people who aren’t your friends, then you’re boned unless they have changed it. I don’t think many people are going to even know this is a thing let alone change it.

9 Likes

See! SEE! Friends list elitism feels bad now huh! :stuck_out_tongue:

9 Likes

Changed mine! Thanks, @TR3NT and @nebula7.:+1:t2:

7 Likes

Changed mine as well. Thanks @TR3NT and @nebula7. Rip enhancedsteam you served me well over the years.:sob:

7 Likes

OH…NOES! This will suck. I depend on that program.

6 Likes

Steam doesn’t fix it only breaks.

8 Likes

Thanks I didnt know of this useless update
I did change it to public
so now you all can spy on me again

8 Likes

Definitely a bummer for Chrono, we use SteamSpy extensively. Here’s hoping they work something out for sharing anonymized data.

7 Likes

Valve themselves could just share sales data freely, though I don’t know if most publishers would like them doing that.

1 Like

Ok, despite the “useless update” comments, this is a feature that a lot of people have been asking for a long time as well, most of them have Hunnie Pop or similar games on their playlist.

Good luck with mine.

1 Like

they should of at least kept Games list public by default and then told people about the new feature and how they can make it private or for friends only.

That wouldn’t have mattered for the sake of steam spy, the point of their site is lost either way. They can’t tell how many people are hiding and how many are not so that makes any figures they can collect uncertain to a degree of uselessness.

Making privacy optional off is not a great standard to go for in any case.

1 Like

i can see a recurrent theme there :wink:

1 Like

What can I say, I’m a sucker for aesthetics.