Any hardware geeks around?

i have no idea what used go for, as i’ve ever only bought 1 years ago, and that was not even from something “reputable” like amazon or ebay.
my roomie back then scrapped his often tho, getting them from “bins”, when people upgraded and didn’t care that much to recoup losses and just put a vague add in post. How much he saved idono, but sorta must have been worth it to him back then (at least it always seemed like he replaced them “often”, and we weren’t exactly flush with cash)

and if there is one thing intel has proven year after year, is that not only is their new releases “slightly” lackluster, the performance-dollar ratio is often not worth the wait (compared to a potential “need”/desire),
same applies to nvidia/volta btw, speculations are best saved for more worthy things, hands on testing is the important stuff with hardware
(pascal might have “blown” maxwell out at launch, but fuck me did you pay a price to match, evening it out)

also, remember, since it seems to be budget area we are in, nvidia always release those even later, so even more wait, just to see if performance-dollar might be worth it

usually it’s always better to buy for your needs, unless a release is literally right around the corner to compare
otherwise can go on waiting forever to get that perfect sweet match on deal+tech

(we are also mentioning an awful lot of team green here in this thread, no one stepping in for team red?)

Hello friends, i am not expert but, the release date of phenom is february 9 2009 and the intel pentium is 2015, older processors will in most cases (if not always) perform better than older no matter how many cores they have.

The implication wasn’t to wait for the new hardware itself but the impact it might have on the older hardware’s prices…Intel is having to react to Ryzen’s warm reception and the new/rumoured 1070ti may well have an impact/reshuffle effect on GPU pricing.

edit:
jezz that was yet again a lot of rambling with little content.
in short my experience boils down to this:
New release - retail dgaf about price changes over new models, both cpu and gpu
and with used gpu’s. Either (most) people are too stubborn wanting to try and recoup too much of their “investment”, making the offer not all that attractive. Or, price seems suspiciously low. (tho that last one might just be chalked up to my overall skepticism of the human condition, dono)

op:
in my humble and limited experience that doesn’t happen so much
cpus tend to stay the same price despite the new/old platform (at least for retail), hence why DownwardConcept mentioned them costing the same/too expensive also when looking around for used
(true intels overall pricing scheme might change/alter with coffeelake in response to amd, but given their recent releases, new high prices, i highly doubt it)
and with gpu, depending on country tho
a couple of things happen, old models get called back, leaving only new avail to purchase
Or, used doesn’t (surprisingly) go that much down in price to make it really worth it - tho one can be very lucky,( or miners snatch up used before they are barely posted lol).
Or, retail has a few “old” in stock which is either gonna stick to old price (and would be too expensive compare to the new release-performance) or the few remaining in stock drops in price in avg around compared to performance. (tho often they just get send back, depending on retailer)

but yea used-vs-new is ofc i great consideration with a new release (i saw a guy post two 980ti for a few hundred lol), but it probably shouldn’t be relied on too strongly tho given past trends (depending on country, and SKU), but worthwhile to still keep an eye out, (hence why i said try look around more too for a quad lga1150 when on budget)

As far as used GPU’s go I’d keep in mind that a lot might have been thrashed by miners who are cashing in. There’s no way I’d want a second hand GPU that had been clocked for mining.

1 Like

right, i keep forgetting the “mining scene” has changed, so it’s not just amd cards “only” anylonger

sigh, guy comes along with his “voxels” and pickaxe, and all of sudden people are going bonkers for digging out matrix gems and gold. God dammit Notch!, you ruined gpu prices :joy_cat:
(no, i’m not that stupid, but how could i resist not to make a mining-minecraft joke) :ghost:

1 Like