Advanced tutorial is a bit hard to find

I just did the advanced tutorial here and I had to actually search the community on how to start it. Wouldn’t it be better if at the end of the regular tutorial the bot told you how to initiate the advanced one?

7 Likes

Since the basic tutorial and the advanced tutorial are associated with a certain achievement/badge, I think it’s fine the way it is. The basic tutorial does tell you enough to do almost everything you would want on the forums, whereas the additional features are nice, but rarely used.

Usually it boils down to one person does something, then someone else notices and asks how they did that.

This escalates to another person doing it to a more-so extreme. In turn, it’s really funny watching derailed threads with really funny outcomes. Such as progressively smaller texts until you cannot see any words at all. And it turns out @Gnuffi and @coralinecastell end up posting whole book chapters, and I am in there thinking I must be blind…

Okay, so back on point, you can argue both ways, and both ways make sense. But the advanced stuff usually you will learn from seeing other people doing it and experimenting on your own. There’s also plenty of stuff not in the advanced tutorial that we end up learning from each other over time. If you go through it all once in the tutorial and never use it, you most-likely will forget it and needing a refresher anyway.

That “you” is “you” in general, not you specifically. Perhaps you have a perfect photographic memory or some superhuman ability, but most of us don’t.

I am glad that you found it and did it anyway. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I just realized that I never actually did it, so I did…

AND

I also learned how to do the thing where it hides the words till you hit the arrow
Cause I didn’t know how to do that this entire time which was really annoying

7 Likes

to be fair, it does tell you how to do it in one of the very early steps (if you look closely) :wink:
@discobot display help
^(this should be one of the early commands the first tutorial tells you to use when you begin your initial meeting with discobot)

6 Likes

I currently know how to do the following things:

@discobot start new user

Starts one of the following interactive narratives: new user, advanced user.

@discobot roll 2d6

:game_die: 3, 6

@discobot quote

:left_speech_bubble: Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you — Princess Diana

@discobot fortune

:crystal_ball: You may rely on it

3 Likes

:kissing_heart: :+1:

8 Likes

And it turns out @Gnuffi and @coralinecastell end up posting whole book chapters, and I am in there thinking I must be blind…

PART ONE

Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth. Lo. Lee. Ta.
She was Lo, plain Lo, in the morning, standing four feet ten in one sock. She was Lola in slacks. She was Dolly at school. She was Dolores on the dotted line. But in my arms she was always Lolita.
Did she have a precursor? She did, indeed she did. In point of fact, there might have been no Lolita at all had I not loved, one summer, a certain initial girl-child. In a princedom by the sea. Oh when? About as many years before Lolita was born as my age was that summer. You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style.
Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, exhibit number one is what the seraphs, the misinformed, simple, noble-winged seraphs, envied. Look at this tangle of thorns.

Lolita, by Vladimir Nabokov. First chapter, in its entirety. Source.

10 Likes

I was told there would be full chapters… :sob:

3 Likes

T’is the full chapter, fool! :joy:

Lolita’s first chapter is known for being this 4 paragraph long thing that sets the mood for the rest of the novel. :blush:

Now don’t ask me what the rest of the novel is like because I never got around to finishing it… because of reasons.

4 Likes

But… but it says ‘Part 1’… Telltale just closed and you are telling me that Vladimir Nabokov couldn’t finish the first chapter of this book… dang.

At least he got the rest of the book finished, but shame he never went back and finished chapter one. I am sure ‘Chapter 1 Part 2-5’ would have seen our protagonist finally complete their opening remarks to the jury and get the verdict for this case of the century.

EDIT: thanks for clarifying, I am just being obtuse.image

Also let me give you my favorite chapter from Dav Pilkey:
It Did
… Just masterful prose.

4 Likes