7-Zip Not Safe! Update NOW!

“The bugs are subtle and, as best as I can tell, have never been leveraged in the wild. But that’s going to change as landave’s analysis reaches the mainstream.”

I use it…And Now it’s updated!

https://www.techsupportalert.com/content/security-vulnerability-found-7-zip-update-now.htm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+gizmosbest+(Gizmo’s+Best-ever+Freeware)

Edited: Posted wrong Link! Thanks @Fraggles!

18 Likes

It’s had a couple more patches since January, should be up to 18.05 now.

5 Likes

why can’t we have nice things… :unamused:
*goes to check 7-zip
oh… :open_mouth: oohh… :hushed:
that’s why… :thinking:
-not updated in years… :persevere:
*has version 9.20 :flushed:

7 Likes

ROFL!!! I hope the rest of your stuff isn’t that old!

7 Likes

i think it’s because my Avast at one point wanted to “auto update” 7-zip, but to some “wrong” unofficial/semi malware version(for some reason), so i turned off updates/notification for 7zip years ago, and since it kept packing and unpacking “just fine” i never really stopped to think about it’s version nr/updates :grimacing:
“if it works why change it” :smile:

5 Likes

Thanks for the update. I’ve been using FileHippo’s update checker to keep me up to date on software. I should try the newest version of it to see if it’s any better than the one I’m on…

5 Likes

15.12 :frowning:

Thanks for heads up :+1:

3 Likes

You are updating your Updater???:joy:

6 Likes

lol that sounds crazy when you say it like that :rofl:

4 Likes

Kinda.

I can’t use an Updater. I have too many Paid Programs that will revert to trial versions if I update them. I just find the next freebie and update them>LOL :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

The nice thing about this one is you can tell it to ignore a certain release version or ignore any future updates for it and it just gives you the download link instead of installing for you or something.

3 Likes

Why are people even still using these other archiving applications when WinRAR does it all?

Sure it eventually nags you to buy the thing but you can just ignore it and once an update rolls out the nagging goes away again for a month :kissing_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

According to the List It’s faster, better encryption and higher compression rate…And no NAGs!

“We find it pretty amazing how many people have the never-ending free trial of WinRAR installed when 7-zip does the job of archiving and unarchiving just as competently, and doesn’t bother with the nag screens. What’s more, the .7z format, which uses AES-256 encryption and a super-high compression ratio, is both smaller and, usually, faster than using .ZIP or .RAR to squash down your files.”

3 Likes

well other then this exploit it runs fine and works great I’ve been using 7-zip for years and probably still will. all programs will have exploits from time to time like last year CCleaner had a exploit and they patched it in a few days and its fine now.

3 Likes

because winrar isn’t free?, :thinking: and got more and more annoying over the years in ways of asking to upgrade/reminding you of expiration?
-i know that’s why i switched to 7-zip because it handled everything perfectly with no added hassle, (at least to my modest needs) 1 download/install (and as we’ve seen from my version nr) used it for years, without ever looking back to ways of “circumventing” Winrar “trials”

3 Likes

Thanks for heads up.

2 Likes

To find software alternatives, I use AlternativeTo.

Good open source 7-Zip alternatives:

The ones I use and more highly recommend:
PeaZip [Win, Linux]
File Roller [Linux]

Other open source alternative:

p7zip [Mac, Linux]

2 Likes

Why would I use winrar when 7-zip does all I need it to?

4 Likes

I was running 16.02 over here.

3 Likes

should i update my 7-zip version 9.20 ? :thinking:

• Are you crazy, go up date right now before you break the entire internet!! :triumph:
  • depends, maybe wait and see if this patch is stable? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
  • Naa, you’re good brah :+1:, don’t go messing messing with things that work, -“if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” :man_shrugging:
  • (Dude, it’s broke, go fix, for srsly, 0 hassle) :man_facepalming:
  • No, -version 18.05 doesn’t support loli lewding
  • (Oh look something shiny over there…)
  • Wuts 7-zip?
  • banana!

0 voters

5 Likes