What genres do you like/not like?

.[quote=“Gnuffi, post:18, topic:5656”]
However, in Dead Cells, death replaces the traditional backtracking mechanic of a metroidvania. At first, seemingly unreachable areas will be strewn across your path, but answers to these riddles will appear as you explore the island. Be it a key, a new acrobatic skill or a forgotten spell. Once uncovered, this knowledge will stay with you, allowing you to unlock new paths to your goal.
[/quote]

Ok it looks like they have actually thought about it and their choice of applying the metroidvania genre might end up being justified. Once the game is complete, if they manage to introduce sufficient metroidvania elements into the game then my complaint will of course be retracted. I can only judge the game by what it is today and as stated I have seen none of these elements in it as of yet.

As for Roguelike
http://www.roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Berlin_Interpretation
If you’re interested in reading up on that whole mess. I do tend to agree with it though.

indeed, Roguebasin is where i got my “points”
tho i do disagree slightly with some points, as they seem too hardcore purist/stuck in the past, disregarding the advances of tech and gameplay, but they are well aware of it too

This list can be used to determine how roguelike a game is. Missing some points does not mean the game is not a roguelike. Likewise, possessing some points does not mean the game is a roguelike

just has to be “enough”

hence why my personal sentiments lean towards tile+turn isn’t as vital as others, (like ascii isnt either for “them”), as long as “enough” of the other criteria is met,
but if they are not, turn and/or tile should be incorporated (imo) in order to bring the “total criteria score” up at a decent level
same with “nix on loading screens or shops windows” etc, which i feel is another silly thing that completely disregards the advances in tech, making larger scope games possible, because games no longer need to be confined to a floppy disk lol

Note: I picked FPS because I like Borderlands. Borderlands is the best game of all time in my personal opinion, and I wish I could convince Gearbox to give me the rights to port it to the PS4…or the Vita, even. Still can’t believe the Handsome collection didn’t includes Borderlands. (grumble, grumble)

The reason I didn’t list Antichamber as a puzzle game is because, as someone who spent almost two hours playing it, I can say that it’s mechanics are obtuse as hell and the game gives no guidance on what you’re supposed to do at all. Basically, to be a puzzle game, you need to know exactly what you can do and where exactly you need to go, and what you have do figure out is how to use the mechanics to reach the goal. In Antichamber, you don’t know where you’re supposed to go; you’re supposed to explore and discover what you need to do, just like an adventure game. Let me know how I’m supposed to “solve” the “puzzle” where the way forward is behind a random, unindicated fake wall on the ceiling without dumb luck, looking up a walkthrough, or just getting desperate and trying everything I can think of.

As for the other comments:

I admit that even if it weren’t for the limit in the amount of poll options I could have (I know games can be survival without being horror, same with combining the different RPGs), I’d probably still have to sit here and explain myself, but think of it this way: when I combined genres in the poll, it’s usually because their base mechanics (usually combat) are similar. For FPS/TPS, bullets move about as fast as real bullets, and the challenge lies in having accurate aim so you can kill enemies before they kill you; however, in arcade-style overhead shooters, you can see the bullets coming and can avoid them (which is why I listed Guerrilla War and Ikari Warriors as qualifiers), so if anything, they have more in common with SHMUPs than Third Person Shooters. For Beat-em Ups and Hack 'n Slashes, the main gameplay mechanic in both of these games seems to be to stick you in a room with waves of similar enemies, and you defeat them by mashing the attack button and/or pulling off combos (Devil May Cry 2, Double Dragon, Streets of Rage, etc.), which is why I put them together. For Action-Adventure and Action RPGs, basically, both games weave combat and exploration together, while “traditional” RPGs will send you into a different “battle mode,” so to speak, sometimes even loading a different area for the arena (even though, as you said, battle mechanics can be different between various games). The reason I separated Beyond Good and Evil from traditional Action-Adventure games is because, while it claims to be Action-Adventure, combat is limited to a very small amount of enemy types (barely three IIRC) in very few areas with barely any thought required to beating them, while the rest of the game’s progression focuses on different genres, like racing and stealth (which is why I called it a “jack-of-all-trades” game in the parenthesis). Honestly, given how tertiary the action in that Action-Adventure game is, it’s almost a sandbox game without the open world. Lastly, don’t forget about why Antichamber isn’t a puzzle game, as I stated above.

I hope that made things slightly less confusing.

You should still add racing games, I mean there’s 2 options for action adventure man…

1 Like

In a word, no.
This didn’t make anything less confusing.

Basing the genres of shooter games by bullet speed just doesn’t hold in any sort of way, unless the only thing you’re thinking of is COD/Battlefield. Look at any other of the great FPS games and you will see a variety of projectiles within every game. Doom, Quake, Duke nukem, Half life all has both hitscan weapons as well fast projectiles and slow moving fireballs, rockets and grenades to dodge.

RPGs are already sectioned into pretty good categories already little need to redefine things. You have your JRPGs which trace their lineage from Dragonquest and Final Fantasy. Classic or Western RPGs are generally based off of old Dungeon’s and Dragons though newer games have some of their own systems. Action RPGs, or “diablo style game” is a rather simple one. TRPGs again a very straight forward genre, which we seem to be agreed upon. Anything that falls outside of these sections tends to be mainly another genre with “RPG elements” so lets list them under their main category.

Beat-em ups is a very specific genre, it does not do a lot of crosspolination though it is also very old and not super popular anymore. It’s double dragon, battletoads, streets of rage, it’s a simple formula and it does not overlap with…

Spectacle fighters. Devil May cry, Bayonetta, metal gear rising revengeance. Essentially brawlers with a lot of combo potential and well, spectacle. I think also character control mode is different. These are almost always some sort of 3rd person style.

When it comes to “adventure” and “action adventure” I don’t think those really are genres of themselves, they’re additional descriptors for other genres. Like Tomb Raider is an adventure game, though it’s also a 3rd person shooter. Will you like the game if you hate 3rd person shooters but love “exploring”? I don’t think you will, so adventure is the secondary quality.

So here’s why I think antichamber is a puzzle game. It is a game of puzzles. The whole game is a puzzle and every space challenges you to figure out how to progress. It is a very unconventional puzzle game because it requires you to work within a reality that is impossible outside of a videogame. Sure some of it is guess work and trial and error, the point is for you to test things out and observe the results. The clearly defined goal is to progress, to figure your way out of the room. Though I do not agree that a puzzle needs a clearly defined goal.

2 Likes