What are you reading, watching and/or listening to?

I remember when this song first came out and thinking just how beautiful Nelly Furtado’s vocals were, and how strangely hypnotic the lyrics were despite being very simple. Still one of my favorite songs. I wish she composed more songs like this, because I think it showcases her beautiful voice the best.

5 Likes

I blame @Rhyagelle

6 Likes

Anyone want to buy me a cookbook?

Disclaimer

I’m joking, no one needs to buy me this cookbook.

Edit: I’ve been looking at the recipes and reviews, and the recipes seem pretty good, simple and usable but still quality. Also gotta love the theme in general. Anyone else have some favorite cookbooks?

7 Likes

EDIT

Reading: http://desirecampbell.com/projects

A Dragon Ball Z fan manga that, at the time, was so convincing people thought it was real. Given the art and story development, I understand, but if I had read it, a Xicor’s origins would have been a HUGE giveaway. :joy:

5 Likes

I don’t really watch movies or series, as I have trouble focusing, but I listen to a lot of music - and the new (for me) albums I heard recently were FKA twigs - Magdalene (fantastic, pure magic), Elbow - Asleep at the Back ( overlengthy, but very pleasant melancholic chamber pop) and Kvelertak’s s/t (too samey, but catchy and a nice soundtrack to a brawl)

3 Likes

If you haven’t seen it… I CANNOT recommend this video enough.

5 Likes

A week ago I watched all of The Expanse. It’s a really good sci-fi show, a lot like Firefly… it’s a shame there aren’t many more like it. I believe it’s getting a new season in december.

And these last few days I’ve been binging Mr Robot. This shit makes me depressed and hits too close to home (all in a sort of good way)… I don’t understand hacking at all so it could be bullshit for all I know but it’s still really good. It portrays mental illness in quite the unique way and I feel like it’s somewhat realistic.

I rarely watch much of anything besides anime but I’ve been in the mood for it lately.

7 Likes

You may, if you haven’t already, like Dark Matter! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I’ll give it a try! Downloading right now :grin:

4 Likes

…only Season 1 though. :grimacing:

3 Likes

No, there are 3 seasons…and then it gets cancelled because sy-fy is trash. If I had said that, then they would not have tried it! :sweat_smile: it is a wonderful show though. :sunglasses:

EDIT

Just watched the 2 latest episodes of My Country: The New Age. Shit’s getting real. xD

4 Likes

I’m sorry, but by the end of S3 (or middleish, since I gave up on the show) I was glad it was cancelled. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a show shoot itself in the foot so hard, not even Man in the High Castle can reach that claim to fame.

I don’t know what the writers were on by halfway through S2, but I want no part of it.

2 Likes

Even if it had fallen in quality, many shows have and got better. Or worse, never did and went on. Dark Matter should have had the chance to go on and try. One season, or a few episodes if anything, should not have done it in. :frowning:

3 Likes

Eh, I’d say it was more like two seasons. It only takes that long to completely nuke a plot thread. I’ll tell you right now, I have no plans on seeing Episode IX. In egregious examples, one bad sequel is all it takes-- if you trash the character arcs, make drastic changes to the overall world, and carelessly destroy the plot, you have no show to go on.

2 Likes

I disagree completely. I enjoyed S1-2 thoroughly, and so did many other people (there was even a drive to keep it going, and Amazon tried to get it). Season 3 is where it started to lose the audience (it had its rough spots, but it wasn’t so bad it deserved cancellation) it had enough to convince sy-fy to pull the plug (which is worth noting takes nothing considering sy-fy cancelled Defiance which was really good for them).

3 Likes

I didn’t truly hate watching it until Season 3, but for me the cracks were showing well into Season 2. It started with a certain treatment of a character early on into Season 2 that I was super not-okay with, followed by another, then another-- it felt like the writers were definitely trying to go for the shock of these moments instead of trying to weave together a strong story or arc, and the way the show always disregarded these events going forwards made this much worse.

S2 laid the groundwork for problems, but S3 truly put a nail in the coffin, and I honestly stopped recommending the show to people after watching it. It should have been the peak of the show where everything is coming together, and instead it’s an incomprehensible mess.

I had no idea Amazon tried to acquire it, but I doubt it would have saved the show with the state that 3 left the series in.

2 Likes

Ohhhh, I get what you mean then. I found S1-2 to be pretty thoroughly enjoyable, but I get what you mean, like some cracks around S2?

Still, for a low budget sy-fy show (that was their second highest show at the time) they constantly hammered into for control, it was really good and held many tones similar to that of Firefly…but I suppose, more extreme in their job. :sweat_smile:

Yea, if I remember right the guy who took The Expanse was going to try and save Dark Matter, but decided on the former (plus, syfy took too long to decide and contracts ran out on the actors). I suspect they only considered it because of the huge outrage that followed the cancellation. The show brought on a huge cult following.

3 Likes

That doesn’t surprise me. The Tick went down in a similar way-- they cancelled it, people took to Twitter, and a few weeks later Griffin Newman and a few others gave in after contracts had expired.

That one still hurts, since in my opinion it’s the best interpretation yet and it fizzled out at its peak quality.

3 Likes

I watched the first season today, it was pretty good. Some parts weren’t all that great like the weird zombie episode and certain characters but it was still a good watch.
Guess we’ll see how I feel about season 2 tomorrow.

3 Likes

I’m watching Gargoyles, for the first time since it ended, via Disney+. I hope they add many shows from the 90s catalog, it would be awesome.

Also, this show is just as good as I remembered it.

4 Likes