Valve News - Software, Hardware, Linux & beyond...

i have a set of knuckle controller and i would say they are the best VR controller but i wouldn’t ever use them for something outside of vr

3 Likes

Oh that seems very cool! What have you played with them, so far? :blush:

2 Likes

i tested them in hotdog and handgrenade,
kingspray (very good game if you like spray art)

and some games i made myself to test them

i started doing my own game cuz most game are not compatible yet with the knuckle, they are still in prototype so most dev dont update their game to have a compatible layout

3 Likes

Did you guys see the latest announcement? What do you think?

drags slider all the way over to ‘niche’

I think it’s nice. :+1:

3 Likes

My first thought is, oh that’s nice I can remove all the “popular” garbage games from my recommended list. Then I realized it’ll probably try and recommend me absolute shit that isn’t popular. Looking at you ridiculous* Anime adult visual novels

*not actual word used to describe.

3 Likes

It’s pretty cool, could be useful when you’re bored. It doesn’t hide “ignored” games yet though, so I still got recommended some garbage (life is strange).

3 Likes

like i say, you can’t spell Valve without borked. :rofl:
But for me, the stuff i use, it usually just works, but i’m well aware of them often breaking stuff, “fixing stuff” that don’t need fixing, or trying to innovate the wheel, by making it out of molten cheese
which i think is partially hilarious from time to time, -ready to watch me cry and laugh when new stem ui takes effect :sweat_smile:

Tho since i’ve had better experience, playing uplay games bought through steam, than ones needed to be played solely through uplay (or origin for that matter), i still think their features deserve a little reminder praise here and there for at least being there and (mostly) working, from time to time… :joy:, more so than “just a client”

Hell they have a shopping cart, so b+ for at least trying, this decade? :wink:

6 Likes

LMAO yeah

We honestly love it, so many features we have been wanting for years are finally added. Whats new section is amazing, recent played games so easy to launch, easy to see and find stuff especially for people with vision problems like my wife, sorting by tags, the way game pages are laid out with tabs up top instead of side bars, could go on and on and really the only problem is these startup crashes it has. A+ on their recent added features and UI, just took them forever to finally get some of those implemented. For all the hate I give Valve I will agree they still have the best launcher/store front, but still not going to keep me from buying EGS games or extending my game pass ultimate sub past 2022 :smile:

5 Likes

Well it seems today is the day :smile: Steam’s redesigned library is out now for everyone - The Verge

6 Likes

I’ve been using it since launch of the beta and I’ve almost only have had a positive experience with it. It’s not bad by any means.

5 Likes

it also borks the custom skins

5 Likes

Just saw the new Library view on Steam and I’m kinda in the “meh” crowd about it. At least it informed me of Soda Dungeon 2 getting a Steam Page now though so yay I guess? :rofl:

3 Likes

for it’s just like a said on day 1 early concept reveal, the main page is too cluttered or too empty, a giant mess either way with stuff not in the right places, look at that giant pile of empty/wasted space :stuck_out_tongue:

really liked it better when it was at least filled with the news about a game then than just being big and blank
overall it makes me wish even more to make the sidebar bigger and main window smaller, oh, and can we please just get 3 cheers and 5 claps for volvo bringing a new UI but still no functional zoom in client? :thinking: what it’s only been like 13 years lol :joy:

ps, props for us turning the ea-steam thread into UI related talks instead :grin:

6 Likes

Wut ev’r due U Meen???

3 Likes

Some games haven’t had their updates/news properly transitioned into this new library. Right now it displays community stuff for me, but the news and dev posts are not there. And I much rather have the dev posts than the community content, I would also like to disable that if possible. lul

@Edit
Oh ye, goodbye

6 Likes

I said this in a reply on my act feed but I’ll post it again here: I think the new Steam UI is doodoo, and here are some of the reasons behind that:

• No ability to sort between Proton and native Linux games;
  • Badly optimized, slow;
  • Loads of glitches, rushed public release;
  • No small mode;
  • No button to automatically “shrink” or “expand” all library categories;
  • Uncalled for community content that is OPT-OUT instead of OPT-IN;
  • Full list of achievements still has to be open externally;
  • Free-to-play games automatically added to library regardless of user preference;
  • Sidebar icons cannot be removed, main game icons can be reduced but not removed either;
  • Unnecessary pop-up animations and
  • Inability to remove “what’s new” from main library page – I don’t care what’s new.

I’ve used the new library on both Manjaro KDE and Windows 7, and have experience considerable slow down, visual glitches and core technical issues on both OSs.

5 Likes

Also if you have family share enabled, all the games are in one big pile now in the Uncategorized section, more ram usage, and a lot of things that no one asked for.

7 Likes

This! I had to mesage @YQMaoski yesterday asking him to PLEASE disable family sharing haha I was drowning in his almot 3k games. #firstworldproblems

7 Likes

Well sounds like @YQMaoski has a free spot in his family, he keeps playing all the small weird indie titles I always want to try out but can’t justify buying for curiosity alone. Want to adopt a Swede?

6 Likes

That is one of my favorite parts about this update, I love being able to see all the recent update about games I own. The problem with the old library was if there was an update and you didnt check the download section before you restarted Steam the only way to see recent updates was to look in file explorer by date, I dont want to do that all the time.

Also I think this new update is pretty responsive and do not see any difference between the old library and this one as far as optimization goes. I will say when it first launched I also was having graphical glitches but the last couple updates have fixed that issue. I was still having crashes but I haven’t had one since the last update so fingers crossed on that one lol.

Can I ask what you mean with the F2P games? I don’t play many of those so not sure what you mean.

I do not really see a difference, the old one just added an unorganized list of games as well, maybe I just remember wrong? idk Also there are loads of features that I have been wanting for years :slight_smile:

3 Likes