Thread/Post Linking Issue

So I have tried cross-linking some posts from various threads when discussion comes up, and the linked message does not notate the correct author of the post:

So for example, just now, in response to

I tried linking @frst’s post in a previous thread:

It does not reflect that @frst was the one who had written that message.

When clicking on the down carrot that should serve to better elaborate the response, we get this instead:

This seems to be the original initial post in the other thread. Clicking on the link does bring up the message that frst had typed, but this is not clear from the linked message.

The biggest problem I see with this is that with cross linking, it appears that we can surreptitiously insert words into other people’s mouths, not in anyway malicious, just leads to cases of confusion.

The easiest solution I see is to make it so that the author of the linked post show up instead of the author of the original thread. Perhaps this is doable, perhaps not. If you could look into it, I would be eternally grateful. (I already am for you guys creating this community and for the folks who are already here, by the way.)

7 Likes

Yeah I just noticed that as well. Though this is unlikely anything chrono can do anything about as it is probably a bug in the discourse forum software, I rather doubt there’s a setting somewhere for it to misappropriate linked posts.

Though weirdly it seemed to work without an issue yesterday when I linked lonin’s responses on the paysafe thing.
https://206.81.1.216/t/payment/10455/6?u=fraggles

This link now also wrong.

5 Likes

it happened a while back
(i assumed an update in discourse format)
if you go back to “old” threads that used a previous linking, you will see some posts a jsut completely borked because the old didn’t blend so well with the new apparently
(i’ve tried to edit a couple of old post as a result) this old post of mine for instance, did (ofc) not look like this the way it does now https://206.81.1.216/t/before-you-complaint-about-coin-shop-or-broken-streak-take-10secs-and-also-consider/5353?u=gnuffi, to the point where the way i had “formatted” it before it loses a lot of it’s intended immediate “quotyness” purpose (and you can also see the header format changed)

it seems like the changes are so where before it would just throw in a full link if used in middle of text, it now auto formats to "named"link
and if thrown in as a separate, it will semi quote, but with the original op’s header displayed(which includes their icon), the same when then clicking the “jump to”/drop down to read the full linked post, it will now drop down the OP instead of the linked post, and will have to “jump to”/use the link to go the actual post incase it’s a longer post than was/could be “quoted” in the post link onebox

why it “varies” from post to post or link to link makes it sorta confusing, like fraggles said, sometimes it seem to work okay, and other times it does that “new” thing… either way i definitely preferred the old"old" way it linked posts, not just because it “woked” but because i was used to it :older_man: and because the update half gibberfied some of our older posts

4 Likes

https://206.81.1.216/t/thread-post-linking-issue/10470/2
https://206.81.1.216/t/thread-post-linking-issue/10470/2

hmm, above is simply the url for @Fraggles post maybe do this instead from now on until they fix it?

Damn it! It shows up properly in the comment preview

5 Likes

the 2 “new” ways
https://206.81.1.216/t/thread-post-linking-issue/10470/2?u=gnuffi

^righ text/link, wrong “header”/user icon + wrong "drop down"text
https://206.81.1.216/t/thread-post-linking-issue/10470/2?u=gnuffi
^direct link, “named” (when entered in middle of a line/not on it’s own separate)

and yea, looks “correct” in the preview, but several forum formatting seem to do that/look different than what comes out now, as if the “preview” is still tied to the old settings, but the actual post is tied to new…

4 Likes

Neither of these ways are new. You’ve been able to link either as a hotlink or as a snippet thing for the longest time. I do not see what you mean with anything having changed in that manner.

6 Likes

before, it would quote “correct”, the users icon, now it’s the wrong icon (ie i linked your post, but it links Mao’s OP header/his icon) and the drop down text is wrong only the “quoted” part is correct (this becomes a slight inconvenience with long “quoted” links as you are then forced to click the link and redirect to the post, and can’t just click the drop down anymore, like you can with regular quotes)
and you could always hot link, but it wouldn’t “auto name” it like now it used to just smack in raw link when used in the middle of sentence, now it auto hotlink reformats it to teh posts name
so no “obvious”-what is this forum post link i’m looking at, but just a re-named hotlink(with the op’s title) which is also an ultra minor change/“inconvenience” since you can still see the link post redirect when hovering ofc

6 Likes

I see, that’s the part that’s new?
I understood the problem, I demonstrated it even. I didn’t know about the auto renamed hotlink thing. Would have to go back in time and see if it didn’t do that before, I’ll be back earlier.

5 Likes

if you click the https://206.81.1.216/t/before-you-complaint-about-coin-shop-or-broken-streak-take-10secs-and-also-consider/5353?u=gnuffi
you can sorta/maybe see some of the “changes” that occurred, (it’s one giant mess now)
before it was specific links to form quick snippets of helpful quotes, and where it wasn’t it was “raw” links
a bunch of them are now reformatted to both being hotlinks, which means it’s just a row of “Named” links, where some places it was deliberately meant to display quotes too, and the others raw link (because i didn’t bother with those other than extra examples to link)
making it all pretty jumbled how the formatting changed, (combined with the header etc changes that old post is just one giant mess now lol)

edit, lol just realized the format even changed so the old note of, “not clicking the “quoted” link in the linked onebox, because it didn’t work”, now that partial link actually works lol… (stranger even opening up editing the posts layout remain the same, but the changes are not universal, some sections are as before and others have been muddle reformatted, despite “both” being posted the same way)-much confuse lol

5 Likes

:thinking: on a more important note, i just noticed that you managed to link fraggles post, without personalizing the link… :open_mouth: how on earth did you do that, (unless you actually just edited the personal link the forum gives you when trying to link stuff around here) -because if you didn’t manually crop your name out, i think that’s sorta interesting… :thinking:
:smile:

3 Likes

Just copied the link from my address bar

4 Likes

sneaky u :wink:

4 Likes

I promise I wasn’t trying to be sneaky, I was actually confused about what you meant by personalisation, I thought you meant the text it displays instead of the raw link, then I worked out the other links have ?u=gnuffi on them

:woman_shrugging:

accidentally clever?

4 Likes

thanks for doing this thread now I can like @frst’s funny post.

5 Likes

Weird, we’ll look into it, but like Fraggles said it may be a bug in Discourse in which there’s not much we can do. :frowning:

4 Likes

also, recently, when the “system” updates a post after linking a pic/gif, it now locks that post, (sometimes), so the user can’t edit it after the pic/gif is “uploaded” when the system changers the format… :man_shrugging:
much weird happening recently :dizzy_face:

3 Likes

It’s voodo witchcraft :exploding_head: I tells ya…Dang Magic stuffs…:mage:t2:

2 Likes

This is the internet, where we always work our best to break something that has formerly worked, and where broken things are eventually left behind… :thinking:

3 Likes

So that’s a change I made recently… but that’s not the intended outcome. That’s really dumb.

4 Likes

:smile: -don’t ask me, all that stuff is voodoo as far as i know :wink:
what’s strange (at least as far i i think i recall) i’d almost swear it didn’t happen “everytime”; i know it locked the last “pic” post i did in teh meme thread, and locked 2 others… but i’m also pretty sure i posted other pic/gif posts in between that didn’t get locked :thinking: -tho that might just be the noggin being out of date :man_shrugging:
anyways, we live and and adapt… (or atleast try to until that darn google monkey shows up):confounded: :smile:

:+1:

2 Likes