These riots are scary

So true …I am guessing they were NOT trained to push 75 yr old men either. FAIL!

“You have a cop shoving a man for no good reason, dozens of them failing to get him immediate medical assistance and THEN an entire department LYING about the events and only changing their story when caught.”

Meanwhile in Toronto…

2 Likes

Are the police generally that poorly trained though? I’ve always been under the impression that the training was fairly hard, but I haven’t looked into it much.
When I was younger I was actually considering going down that path. Now I’m not even legally allowed to join the police in my country, not a great loss. lol

2 Likes

Yes, you would be surprised just how little they know. The average cop doesn’t even know a tiny slice of the law they are supposed to be exercising on people, and once in the police force, are not required to maintain the training they had on joining. I think they go through once a year training after entering, which is unacceptable. Now some police departments do require a GED/Highschool diploma and sometimes that with a secondary education (college) and then extensive initial training, but most departments are not like that.

And for example, of all the 5 police officers in my area, 3 are overweight and do not know what they are doing. In fact, 2 of the 5 had altered tickets and papers because they could.

Our police force isn’t the devil incarnate out in the streets in thousands killing people, but it is seriously really bad. There may be more good cops than bad, but there’s too many bad cops to ignore as a risk for having it in the first place.

4 Likes

Fair enough the standards for a job like it should indeed be much higher. Over here we have kind of the opposite problem in that the police don’t have any power at all.

3 Likes

Yes, exactly. For a job like an order maintaining force? They need to under go extensive training to enter, and just as rigorous training monthly at the very least.

The strange part is that so many countries only go in opposites. A police force with no power at all is useless, and a police force left unchecked becomes a force of abuse and oppression. No one wants to try a middle ground, it seems.

3 Likes

Aye it should all be a bit more balanced. The police shouldn’t be allowed to injure a non resisting person nor should they themselves have to get beat up.
People nowadays like to take everything to the extreme, be it life choices or politics.

just something to lighten up the mood lol

2 Likes

Hahaha. Well. It’s kind of funny that you would be scared of people because they have a weapon. It is a only a problem if you really honestly truthfully think that the people around you are all bloodthirsty monsters. If you don’t trust the people around you, then there is a problem with your community or with your mindset.

And I’m pretty tired of seeing gun violence statistics because they always do sketchy comparisons to force a point. If you look at murders/homicides, it is very low. But if you include suicides, gang violence, and drug violence it gets huge. But still, violent crime itself has been decreasing since 1990.

and @delenn13 and @Rhyagelle I hope and pray the military doesn’t get called into the US to resolve the riots. I knew a lot of military personnel (that I have since lost contact with, hah). If people think that police are trigger happy and dangerous to the community, they have no idea what the military is capable of. There are rules for war. But soldiers are trained to kill, not trained to deescalate. Soldiers have a totally different mindset when they are armed and that worries me. It will be a big mistake because there will be many more shootings.

I hope the regular police can get everything under control.

3 Likes

I wanted to put this in the Crazy News thread, but since we’re trying to keep this political issue confined to this thread i’m putting it here

4 Likes

Wait wait if I read this correctly the officers left to show support for the officers that were suspended for pushing an elderly man?

5 Likes

exactly, which is why i wanted to put it in the crazy news thread

they feel they did “nothing wrong” cuz they were just “following orders”

u know, like the concentration camp guards :joy:

(disclaimer, cuz this is the internet, and we all know how that goes: I’m laughing at their “excuse”, not the subjects i address in this post)

4 Likes

Military is trained to kill, but the big difference between the two is the amount of control and training they have. Almost my entire family is military, and they are the most restrained people you could find. Because it is “beaten” into them.

And they already have put the National Guard out on the streets. There are dozens of videos where the protestors are reacting to them far more positively than the police, too. We haven’t had a single issue between the NG and the protestors or even the rioters. That’s how well of a job they are doing.

So while yes, the military is trained for an overall specific job, that doesn’t mean they’re trigger happy or aren’t trained in other very important areas (restraint etc). They’ve been trained not to just fire, unlike the police. You can find thousands of videos where they are under fire and remain calm and collected, and always wait until they are permitted to return fire. And that’s against terrorists. They’re clearly going to do even better against the citizens of the nation they are swore to protect.

Now in an ideal situation, we wouldn’t need them at all, but right now when we can’t go a day without a dozen videos of cop brutality popping up or rioters destroying and or killing, so we need a better way to control the streets. And the NG has been that…at least so far.

The police can’t do anything. The riots and protests are because they are, majorly, unaccountable and out of control. Just in NY 57 officers resigned in support of the 2 that were fired for shoving an elderly man back into the pavement and leaving him there to bleed out. 57 cops said they thought it was perfectly within their rights to shove that man, who did nothing. It isn’t all cops of course, but it is a frightening number.

3 Likes

Actually, that might help explain things. If your boss is giving you orders, and following those orders results in you getting fired anyway (not just fired, but also publicly shamed), then suddenly, quitting in protest makes a whole lot more sense. You’re not protesting being unable to shove elderly people; you’re protesting bad management.

2 Likes

Almost my entire family is military, and they are the most restrained people you could find. Because it is “beaten” into them.

I have no idea about your family. But whether they are an exception, most guys I met are only safe around civilians because of the consequences. Perhaps it is because they are mostly army and marines? I do know one air force guy. But he was the wimpiest of them all so I can’t compare him to other air force.

I guess we’ll see if it was a good idea or not.

2 Likes

I’m not sure why it would be a big deal. Seems like the standard. Perhaps it is the National Guard portion?

I would be pretty upset if a governor abused their authority over the National Guard though.

2 Likes

Oh! LOL. Is that how it is being interpreted? I thought it was just a longer version of the inaugural oath the president makes.

Don’t worry, that is nonsense.

They think this General will uphold the constitution and simultaneously disobey the commander-in-chief part (Article 2?). Generals don’t lay groundwork for legality or ethics. It might have a nice spin in the news, but nothing to do with congress or the judicial branch. In fact, the reason the military doesn’t take part in the politics is because they don’t have their own government branch. The President does the ordering and Congress (should) do the paying for it. However, if that mutiny part was the hidden secret meaning of the letter, his subordinates have the duty to arrest him and ignore his orders.

It’s just a letter stating the idealistic purpose of the military.

3 Likes

Well, I’m not going to pretend I know much about it or what it does or can mean. Guess I’ll just wait and see what happens.

2 Likes

@GDBringer

The “they” was not in reference to my family in the military, but to soldiers in general. My fault, I should have worded that far better. lol

I know plenty of other soldiers across the branches (Air Force, Navy, Army, National Guard, Marines), and I can tell you now they would never fire into a crowd. The kind of training these people go through is substantial. They are trained to take fire and be shot without firing back until orders are given.

@Pylinaer

I’m not sure what you are trying to say with the image?

1 Like