Steam Reviews

@YQMaoski Whee! Can’t keep up with the thread, lol. It’s great though.

Thanks for the review on Valley. The First Person View sounds less dizzying than usual since you can see your feet. A new kind of game to try if it’s ever on 90% sale again, lol.

6 Likes

i don’t doubt it will be, -and at 90% off it’s a total steal imo, really gorgeous, and super interactive for a “walking simulator” :thinking:(seems like this tag gets tossed around everywhere on steam these days :smile:)

5 Likes

Yea, confuses me too. Walking Sim to me means games like Wick perhaps. Anything that requires a lot of combat wouldn’t. :man_shrugging: Maybe they put in the tag as in “if you like walking sims, you’ll like this”. Heh, misleading.

6 Likes

I actually won a copy of Eternity The Last Unicorn on its launch day. It did look very interesting - I love games where you have to play as more than one character, Never Alone, for instance.

The lore seemed deep and intriguing. Figured it’d have some Zelda like gameplay, puzzles and all, but also wondered if the combat became repetitive after a while. The streamer looked to be having fun with it. Suppose any RPG can be forgiven for having some mandatory grind sections, (Final Fantasy :stuck_out_tongue: ). Unpolished combat can get very annoying. Likely will still play it, just not in that much of a hurry now. With luck, the developers will update the game a bit. Thanks for another good review. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I hope so too, there are some on-going issues with playing this one, and i hope they fix it soon. (I do want to complete the story.)

5 Likes

Two reviews this week. I am too busy playing Forager… lol… More like Forager is too busy playing me. Addictions, addictions… It’s like all of my free time is now time for foraging…

Anyway:

First up is a free to play, casual, 2d platformer with randomly generated levels. Not too much of any ways of objectives, other than Steam achievements, all doable in approximately 2.5 hours. No combat, no enemies. Does have a relaxing soundtrack, which is a paid DLC. I hear that the developer might be putting together a sequel with enemies and combat and more stuff in general. The controls take a little time getting used to, but once you do, it feels really smooth.

Review link:

Second is a review I wrote earlier this week. It’s a game that tries to copy a lot of elements of Enter the Gungeon, but has too many flaws right now. It’s kind of fun, but there’s a lot of frustrations with playing at the moment. It’s in Early Access, so I think it does have promise, and can be a really great game in the end. Who knows? I got the game for free, but I wouldn’t pay the asking price right now to play what it is at the moment. I think it just needs too much work. Promising, but wait until later, folks! (So my early access review is negative, pointing out all of the problems I have with the game right now.)

Review link:

Now back to foraging! See you around!

11 Likes

Nice turnbased strategy game

Here is our review

8 Likes

All right, it’s been a while, so time to necro the review thread. quite a few reviews from our group this month since the last update.

First is a card-battle driven game, with some nice mechanics, though is a bit too early in early access. Needs a lot of work, though good to keep an eye on for future:

Review link:

This one, though, is another card-driven RPG roguelite and it’s a lot more polished and the gameplay feels great. It contains a lot of reading:

Review link:

Here’s a simple reaction-based game that is super difficult. Go torture yourself if you wish:

Review link:

This is a non-traditional Tower Defense game, with a lot, a lot, of micromanagement:

Review link:

It’s unfortunate this game received so many negative reviews, I personally really enjoyed it, of what I saw, and also lots of value in the game.

Review link:

Also @Enki played this game to the end, so you can always ask him for more clarification on its worth. :smiley:

Here’s another deck-building roguelike, this genre is starting to get oversaturated, but this one is done pretty well:

Review link:

A change in pace is this Sci-Fi point & click adventure with meaningful decision in-game:

Review link:

This game i wasn’t sure if I would like, but ended up really enjoying it, so I hope you give it a fair shake whenever you feel a good enough deal strikes:

Review link:

Lastly, I just finished my review of the final Kingdom game earlier today:

Review link:

8 Likes

9 Likes

Oddly enough, I take writing reviews just as seriously as if I were writing something for a class. I treat them like arguments in an essay and I get a bit frustrated when my thoughts and feelings about a game can’t be properly expressed. Unless it’s a game that is very personal to me, I just give up and post a few sentences. :confused:

8 Likes

i understand this sentiment,
i try to keep in the back of my mind “this is a (steam) recommendation, not a review” so often i don’t even bother with most games (even some i quite like), only 11 reviews in total (and i think half were even actually only “bothered” to be made for steam’s various season tasks)
but then when it’s a game i’m totally hooked on/passionate about, i might end up not just doing a quick few lines, but end up rambling on 3 pages o.0
i think even tho it’s on the shorter side, even my Hollow Knight recommendation with 6 (silly) lines is a bit long, -and ofc it’s dwarfed by my 500+word Grim Dawn gushing… :dizzy_face:
^and it often don’t really feels like it came out “sober” like it’s what i wanted to say or serviceable enough to others, but just a bunch of random words from a madman for people to decipher

7 Likes

yup, 6 lines indeed… :wink: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

https://206.81.1.216/t/the-rando-talks-rant-glee-about-a-game-thread-gnuffi-currently-gushing-about-hollow-knight-smile/11557/4?u=yqmaoski

7 Likes

:rofl:
well that’s my chrono “recommendation”, but yup, example of ramblings in full effect :smile:
i somehow managed to keep my Steam one a bit more restrained :blush:

7 Likes

Another update, and we shall start with a 2D pixelated dungeon crawler roguelike that has some unique gameplay, where the rooms are player generated through your own actions. The game is super cheap, and the launch discount is 40%!!! Totally worth every penny, and not many pennies are needed to get you to play this game. I managed to buy it, play it, record a quick video, and write my review all in one go, just because I think it’s deserving of your attention! It’s a true indie gem for sure. (Don’t mind the many Chinese reviews and the lack of an English one. Well, mine’s the first in English anyway. Those reviews are mostly legit.)

Review link:

Iron Marines is next, it’s a simplified RTS made by the folks who made the Kingdom Rush series.

Review link:

Here’s an arcade style tennis game that would be good to play with multiple local players. It has some good features and could use some polish. No online-MP, which is a shame, because I could see this being so much fun. The single-player modes are sufficient for a mention still.

Review link:

Talking about arcade style games, this is a purely arcade type game, with strict time limits, easy game mechanics and many many deaths that are expected:

Review link:

Next is a light RPG, light strategy, + puzzle game with beautiful artwork:

Review link:

Lastly, I had a couple of bad days of trying new games last week, with the games that I tried being so awful that I am only going to mention them in a linked name to my review. Warning, I was not particularly kind with my words, but these games also didn’t really deserve much praise.

Narazumono – a game I would rate a 0-1/10

and

Spikes Are Dangerous – A game that is really quite difficult, but for the wrong reasons, in my opinion. The developer tried to argue with me why it’s worth the asking price. But for me, it’s not worth much of anything at all.

Thanks for reading! :smile:

7 Likes

I got sick of it just watching 1 minute of the “trailer”.

6 Likes

Finally, I did something extra, cuz of the steam summer sale incentive.

Review link:

4 Likes

Well written! The Pulitzer Gang grows stronger by the day. @DontBeSilly

5 Likes

I didn’t realize I hadn’t reviewed Absolute Drift yet.

Review:

7 Likes

My review for game Observer. Not a review i thought i will write starting the game ,but hey , things change.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/DontBeSillyWrapYourWilly/recommended/514900/

6 Likes

Real pity - had thought it sounded like an interesting one too.

5 Likes