Steam Games for Bad Processors

broforce, mitsurugi kamui hikae (hack n slash)
pretty much rpgmaker, platformer kind of type game
spelunky ? classic but fun imo

4 Likes

My old laptop (which I’m currently using now) from 2011 runs dark souls 1 on a somewhat low resolution fine for the most part, so that’s pretty cool. Keeping it in offline mode helps too. Pretty much any 2d game will work (barring some of the newer fighting games)

4 Likes

Cheers! :+1:

1 Like

HERE WE GOOOOOOOOO

Bad processor, or bad computer in general (including your graphics card?)

If your problem is the computer’s specs in general, I have plenty of recommendations… but if it’s the processor itself only, you can generally play almost any game that wasn’t made for the Xbox One/PS4. I got away with playing on a crappy Pentium for years, and it took a LONG time for games to overpower it. So… I’ll assume you mean the former.

Psychonauts, Rogue Trooper, Rollercoaster Tycoon (1 > 2 lol), Age of Empires II (on disc if you can), Dawn of War: Dark Crusade (best SP) or Soulstorm (best MP), Half-Life 2 (not episodes), Star Wars: Jedi Outcast/Jedi Academy, Tron 2.0, Unreal Tournament/UT2004, Star Wars: KotOR, MDK, Jade Empire, Red Faction, and Quake II are some of my personal favorites. None of these require an especially strong PC.

I have more recommendations, but I’d like to know what kind of games you prefer first.

Somebody mentioned PSP emulation and… well, I wouldn’t recommend it. I just generally don’t mess with emulators. It’s a good way to get some nasty malware on your computer, since it’s a legal grey area and “well, I was downloading these ROMs” will generally get you laughed at should you try and get any support. Aside from that, it actually IS illegal to download games you don’t own. The strictness of this does vary from nation to nation, but as a general rule, you had to at least have owned it at some point.

6 Likes

I think @delenn13 has a potato and could recommend some low spec good games

3 Likes

I would recommend “Wood” but I need to find the case first…

18 Likes

:joy::rofl::joy:

I definitely lost it there!

7 Likes

I would highly recommend emulation, especially if you’re on an older machine that can’t handle new games. There’s thousands of games worth going back to and official means of doing so will only be fewer and fewer.
Anything from NES to PS2 will run just fine on almost anything from the last 10 years.
I’m saying this as someone who still collects retro games and systems, emulation is required for the future of these games.

One kind of deserve to be laughed at if they failed at such a simple task.
That being said it might actually be worth making a thread showing people what emulators are out there and where to get them (no not the rom/iso files). I might get around to it one day.

4 Likes

How do you feel about ScummVM? There are some free games available, plus you may well have some old game discs kicking around if you were a fan of good old point and clicks.

4 Likes

was searching for the “big fat +3 for Terraria”… :smile:

5 Likes

Factorio is also a game that ran on my very old laptop.

3 Likes

Ah, here’s where things get weird. I actually love the work that goes into RPCS3, DOSBox, ScummVM, dgVoodoo, CXBX-Reloaded, and all of that. I actually follow the development of many emulators, as it’s impressive work they do for the sake of preservation.

I’m happy that you mentioned ScummVM in particular. Remember what I said about the “Blues Clues SCUMM games?” That was an oddly specific example, and because I recently came across another copy by chance. Sadly, ScummVM and DOSBox have an advantage in that many of these older games were made for DOS to begin with. The hardest part of emulation for me is actually getting the games; they usually involve BIOS flashing your old consoles to get the old code off it, as well as ripping discs that have copy protection already. I’ve had no luck with this.

My problem is more with the emulation of games, or more specifically, how they are acquired. I don’t ever turn to more unapproved channels for games, even when they’re unavailable, simply because I have no legal protection as well as a risk of exposing my computer to malware. I know that and my adamant anti-Denuvo stance is making me start to sound like one of those people who refuse any kind of shots, but I just don’t really risk it.

ScummVM is awesome, as well as DOSBox, and I love the idea of old games returning to digital platforms via emulation. Mega Man Legacy Collection and the upcoming Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection are a similar story. I would love it if companies started licensing PCSX2, Dolphin, and other similar emulators to get their old games up on PC. Can you imagine if THQ Nordic dumped Destroy All Humans! 1 and 2 on Steam with a slightly fine tuned version of PCSX2? It would be nothing short of glorious. That’s not even mentioning the countless other games… SSX 3 Origin release, make it happen!

Anyway, here’s the emulators I do use frequently:

• DOSBox (given lol)
  • nGlide (3DFX Glide emulation, goes to DX9)
  • dgVoodoo 2 (way more customizable Glide and DirectX 7 emulation, goes to DX10 or DX11)

Aaaaaand that’s about it. I have a few others installed, of course, and I still dream of using the Dolphin VR fork for Metroid Prime 3, but unless I magically find the one LG optical drive in the world that can read those discs, I’m kinda stuck here.

My other big issue with emulation is that many of the people who use it more or less “normalize” it, as if some games being impossible to buy somehow justified piracy in general. Just check out the new forums for Street Fighter 30th Anniversary, a $40 collection with most Arcade versions of SF 1-3; even though it touts arcade-perfect emulation of 1, 2 Turbo, Alpha 3, and Third Strike, as well as every other version of those games and online versus for four of them, the forums are full of comments essentially trying to justify stealing the games based on the fact that they’re “old” or “small files” or anything else, as if that somehow made it unfair to charge for the games. I do want to see developers support their work, and with every new release of old games by major companies, I find these people making me dislike emulation even more.

On an unrelated note, I may just shill further and throw another one of my Youtube videos in the chat later. I’ve been experimenting with old computers again, and if it’s just a CPU problem, I may have a few recommendations in video form.

4 Likes

It definitely justifies it imo. If I’m completely unable to obtain a game or if it’s $200 on ebay I will absolutely pirate it without the slightest bit of shame.
I would much rather see the games played than fade away.

4 Likes

I think you misinterpreted what I meant, there. I was talking about some games being unavailable somehow normalizing piracy IN GENERAL; as in, because you grabbed Battle for Middle Earth or some games that were out of print, you were suddenly entitled to the Devil May Cry games “because they’re old,” despite the entire series being available on PC, PS4, and XBO.

If a publisher is selling their game on GOG, Steam, or consoles, I’d say it’s only fair to pay for it. As of now, I’m happy to add Monkey Island 3 to that list :smiley: Make sure to check out the series while it’s $10 on GOG for the first three games:

2 Likes

Dungeons of Dredmor will run on anything and it will give you about a billion hours of gameplay.

3 Likes

Guys… it’s easy, just move to a 3rd world country where there 's nothing called law… i currently wear 2 eye patches and live as a goat where i eat tree leaves… JK…
Check your country policy about copyrights, the section were software becomes abandonware…
Most PSP games in the middle east are considered Abandonware, same goes for old games, therefor, no copyright infringement
( US copyright lasts 70 years post author death for example )… here ( Lebanon ), different story

Actual pic from Lebanon, sent from a friend of mine

3 Likes

That must be a cheap third party pad because the Start and Select buttons are the wrong way round.

3 Likes

:thinking:
*notices 3rd world country still uses ps1 controller;
-“no thx, i’m okay right here”
#1stWorldAnalogStickPrivilege :+1:
:joy:

3 Likes

man the middle east doesn’t give a flying f about copyright to begin with, lol. Internet companies actually actively advertise how much movies and games, and how fast, u can download from torrents and shit with their plans.

even the government pc’s all run hacked windows and everything

4 Likes

well… it’s true!!! XD
Feels bad man

2 Likes