So... Loot Play...

https://www.lootcrate.com/crates/loot-play

You guys are pretty quiet about it even though you’re clearly getting real fancy. Always nice to see an alternative to Humble Monthly, especially one focusing on indies rather than whatever random AAAs are willing to cash out. Mystery games are scary though… I have a ton of indies and I feel like I’m definitely going to get duplicates.

13 Likes

There’s still some kinks being worked out, so we’re waiting to do a bunch of promotion until that happens, but we’re super excited about the partnership! :slight_smile:

13 Likes

I never knew of this website.

Mystery games are scary though…

I also am wary of this. Gamers that constantly encounter mystery items mixed in with a known item…will just purchase it if the known item is worth it to them. Then the mystery items are just extras the buyer didn’t care for anyway.

I expect this to result in fewer sales unless the website has a good history of having quality mystery games. But if they are good games, then the games would advertise themselves as a good purchase anyway. So why the mystery?

Now, the proper way to be manipulative is to have 3 known games (worth a little less than or more than their monthly $11.99) + 2 mystery games. The 3 games will make the purchase satisfying to the buyer knowing their money is going to what they want, the mystery games can feel like a true bonus, and there is little chance of buyers getting duplicate games.

Also, if there is going to be a mystery game, it needs to have context. From this I mean it would be better to have a real and proper list of all the possible games that the mystery game can be. Or better yet, have the mystery game be randomly chosen from the list of possible games. That might be a nice and easy way to get rid of extra keys lying around. But this would be entering gambling territory. Might as well have a slot machine with all the games scrolling down until it lands on one.

Oops. I really got off topic. :sweat_smile: Um. Good job on the partnership!:rofl:

6 Likes

I just don’t see the point of this when humble monthly is a better product and is the same price

2 Likes

Why is it US only? Was it part of the partnership agreement? Seems unfair especially since it’s digital products we’re buying. Sigh

1 Like

My guess is to test its popularity in its current country before making it available world wide and also region restriction on certain games.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if it’s the case in the US, but consumer rights in the UK (and I believe the EU as a whole) say that digital goods can be refunded within a 14 day cooldown period if they’re not downloaded/activated. In which case you could buy the bundle, wait and then refund if the games are awful…thus bypassing the mystery. It’s what everyone did with the mystery Square-Enix bundles.

5 Likes

I guess I’m an edge case. All I want in regards to Loot Play is to stop seeing the promotional widget down in the lower left corner of the window every day when I visit the front page to see what the day’s game is (and claim my coins, natch). I’d really like to stop seeing it because I really dislike loot boxes, real or virtual, and having to look at it every day is making me disinclined to continue checking the site.

Hmm, it should respect being closed and not pop up again as long as your local storage isn’t being cleared. Would you mind DMing me your os/browser?

1 Like

awww its not available in my area (England) :frowning: shame because random steam keys for reduced prices are totally my jam.

edit: I have now just read the other stuff :laughing:

1 Like

Would you have signed up if it was available? (…also what other stuff???)

oh yeah probably, its a little pricey but if the quality of the games is above the price threshold then yeah I don’t see why not, $12 was 10 pounds so they are well rounded off, that is if they are the same price as humble bundle.

the other stuff was people already saying tis not available anywhere but the US.

2 Likes

the reason im not down with lootplay is that it’s the same price as the HB montly and has … i dont want to say less value because loot play is focuses on indie games but Hb gives you more game overall for the same price

1 Like

Gamespot has an article on it and mentions Chrono.GG, if yer interested.

6 Likes

I think Loot Play will be worth keeping an eye on. If they can show high quality games consistently, it could be a worthy competitor to Humble. Competition is always good, so if this does well it’ll hopefully kick Humble into gear with better monthly’s as well.

Edit: a word

8 Likes

Like the idea of a Indie Monthly similar to Humble but the price is WAY to high for me for Indie games. Humble is same price and includes AAA games. Much better value really.

1 Like

Can you purchase that Loot Play bundle after the mystery games have been revealed?

3 Likes

Really good question, I would like to know as well…

2 Likes

You cannot, only the initial title will be revealed before the next month is available to purchase.

5 Likes

This makes sense, otherwise you wouldn’t get any business until after the reveal… The problem will come from whether or not people consider this a reasonable alternative to 1-2 Humble Monthly bundles, so the competition is a bit tougher, since they usually have a larger bundle and more revealed ahead of time.

3 Likes