Raffle 3: Dear Esther, Ethereal, Figment, Last Day of June, Memoranda, Quest for Infamy, The Norwood Suite

Entries are now locked :lock:

I will process the results soon. I’m away from home right now, so it might take a little longer this time.

Thanks to everyone who entered :pray:

4 Likes

PIZZA ROLL PLEASE

I thought this might have been addressed before the raffle ended but either I missed it or it must have not been seen

I’m back home now so I’m processing the entry data now :gear:

Results will be posted soon :stopwatch:

Imagine each prize has a bucket and each of your tickets has your name printed on it. All tickets for each prize are mixed up and one (1) ticket is drawn at random, per prize bucket. If you submitted six (6) tickets and someone else submitted two (2), it’s three (3) times more likely that one of your tickets will be drawn.

So yes, your odds of winning a particular prize increase per ticket you put in each prize bucket.

2 Likes

Hi! I’m not grokking how generating 8 numbers with the value 1 thru 16 maps to drawing the winning tickets. One possible implementation would put all tickets entered for a game into a game’s bucket, noting an entrant’s name on each ticket, and generating a random number between 1 and the number of tickets in each game’s bucket to draw the winning ticket. For this raffle there’d be 7 buckets. What am I missing?

Just a moment while we deal with a technicality. Raffle 3 winners will be announced momentarily. Thanks for your patience.

We’ll be right back :tv:

1 Like

The raffle program is open source and linked in the results of each raffle. The technical details are discussed in Raffle 1, if you’re interested. Let me know if you have any questions :space_invader:

2 Likes

Thank you! For everyone else, the answer’s in this post. The numbers generated by discobot are used to provide a 32-bit seed to the random number generator used by the raffle implementation.

2 Likes

cmon man, give me a new pair of boots

1 Like

:stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars:

The results are in… :incoming_envelope:

1. @Scribesake wins Dear Esther — with a 10.9% chance to win
  2. @orbus wins Ethereal — with a 8.4% chance to win
  3. @wasabiyoyo wins Figment — with a 8.4% chance to win :boot:
  4. @Fraggles wins Last Day of June — with a 3.4% chance to win :four_leaf_clover:
  5. @DrFlamingo wins Memoranda — with a 9.2% chance to win
  6. @joxter wins Quest for Infamy — with a 15.6% chance to win
  7. @blavionlufaine wins The Norwood Suite — with a 9.8 chance to win

Ticket stats :bar_chart:

37 total entries with 489 tickets

1. Dear Esther — 64 tickets (13.1%)
  2. Ethereal — 83 tickets (17%)
  3. Figment — 83 tickets (17%)
  4. Last Day of June — 87 tickets (17.8%)
  5. Memoranda — 76 tickets (15.5%)
  6. Quest for Infamy — 45 tickets (9.2%)
  7. The Norwood Suite — 51 tickets (10.4%)

Disqualifications :man_cartwheeling: :woman_cartwheeling:

1. @coralinecastell - fell in the trap
  2. @Vindace - fell in the trap

Consolation

Missed out this time? Try your luck in Lottery 1 which ends tomorrow!

5 Likes

YYYYYYYYYYYAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH - CSI Miami

Thanks for the giveaway my human :smiley:

1 Like

@ohko Key works my turkey sandwich <3

no thank you, my zesty wood-and-string toy :blush:

3 Likes

XD thanks for adding zesty, I feel complete :smiley:

2 Likes

Hehe I loved this:

Was so worth it though :joy:

Congratulations to all the winners! :tada:

4 Likes

Never lucky :expressionless:

Oh well, thanks for the chance @ohko and @DontBeSilly and congrats to the winners! :+1:

3 Likes

Agreed!

I didn’t even realise there was a trap so that’s what I get I guess.

2 Likes

@Vindace one advantage of running a deterministic raffle is that you can see what the results would’ve been if your entry was qualified. Visit the results and “uncomment” your entry on line 41 by removing the leading //. Then click Run at the top. The winners are different of course (because the data is different), but alas you would not have won :disappointed_relieved:

But hopefully this at least gives you a little added peace that your qualification wouldn’t have changed the outcome for you specifically :raised_hands:

fwiw, the same is true for @coralinecastell

2 Likes