Back to Today's Deal

New Shop Games - 6/28/19

newshopgames062819-header

A WORLD OF GARBAGE

It’s not exactly provocative to say that we live in a world full of garbage. By some estimates, humans produce 2.12 billion tons of garbage globally each year. That may sound daunting, but what if instead of trying to fight against this inexorable trash tide, we embrace our future dump world? That’s why were giving you the chance to check out these two new shop games. One is all about living in a world overrun by garbage, and the other is about holding a cat that shoots lasers. We’re not sure that that’s part of this future, but you never know.

• Deponia
    In Deponia, the world has degenerated into a vast garbage dump, in which the crotchety Rufus ekes out his sorry existence.
  • Shooting Stars!
    This game is the answer to one of the most important questions in life: “I can haz lazer kitty?“ Yes you can!

Digital games don’t produce garbage. We’re doing our part.

LOL 7500 coins for a game that['s currently on sale for 49 cents…

The last game I bought for coins was Heroes of Hammerwatch, more than seven months ago. Absolutely nothing in 2019 had any appeal, despite 38k coins on my account.
Yes, tastes differ and it’s free. It’s still pretty obvious how much this part got downgraded.
By now I almost wonder if I should even keep watching out for new titles or just forget about the coins altogether.

@coralinecastell Quick, get Deponia while it’s still in stock! I know you like it! :joy:

1. There were many enjoyable moments in the big and complex story of Deponia, but the first game (Deponia) is the weakest of 'em all, imho. Hard to recommend bc on the first playthrough the main hero just looked like a giant douchebag to me (not a slur… right?) and the most of the game was generally unenjoyable. Toni was awesome, and the music was nice, and that was all, I think? Other installments are just so much better. It feels like the creators were testing the ground with this one. Also, it’s on sale like every month and is usually cheap like dirt.

2. Looks like a mobile game port. From where I am, It costs less than McDonald’s flavorless ice cream. Hmm, wonder if I should invest coins in this… :thinking:

The good side is that the other games available in the shop suddenly started looking 20% more attractive.

Elmo gif inbound.

IMO, Deponia is a great point and click, whether it’s worth 10K coins is up to the buyer since it’s frequently on sale for $1.

Unfortunately, that praise doesn’t really extend to the sequels. Remember how The Force Awakens sets up all those cool plot threads and the Star Wars sequels from there decided to just throw all of that out for the sake of surprises and stupid reasons? That’s… basically how the sequels go with this game. Character arcs < shock value and quick one-off jokes, it’s a writing flaw that continues to choke the fun out of the series the further you go.

It’s a little hard to go into detail because to do so kind of spoils Rufus’s general character arc, but he’s a character you can sort of grow to like despite his problems in the first game, and that arc you see is gone the moment you start up the second game. By the third game, he’s not only stagnated, but regressed as a character.

Still haven’t played Deponia Doomsday yet, hopefully it’s better than the third one. I couldn’t bring myself to finish it because the routine of the main character continuing to be just inconsistent, awful and stupid for the sake of it got old. For the first game, though, the unlikable characters are genuine characters you get to know, and the world that the game builds is one worth exploring. I do recommend that, so long as you don’t mind a cliffhanger ending that leads into two mediocre-to-terrible sequels.

and there’s a solid reason to that :shushing_face:

This is an adequate price for Deponia: FREE.

Enjoy, everyone.

Oh, and @CptMold

fite me, fan boi

1-h1Nc87N0NlMq6JRb2ct_1g

[quote=“joxter, post:5, topic:17473, full:true”]

1. There were many enjoyable moments in the big and complex story of Deponia, but the first game (Deponia) is the weakest of 'em all, imho. Hard to recommend bc on the first playthrough the main hero just looked like a giant douchebag to me (not a slur… right?) and the most of the game was generally unenjoyable. Toni was awesome, and the music was nice, and that was all, I think? Other installments are just so much better. It feels like the creators were testing the ground with this one. Also, it’s on sale like every month and is usually cheap like dirt.[/quote]

I beg to differ, especially when you’ve already played through the entire Trilogy. The first game isn’t the weakest, the fourth game is, and the reason being is that it was intentionally designed that way. The series was supposed to end with the third game but uber fanbois clamored for a fourth. So in response, the Dev gave in and made an intentionally crappy game. I haven’t played through the fourth game per se and it’s still on my wishlist. But because of the many Let’s Plays of the fourth game I’ve seen I won’t be prioritizing that game any time soon.

As for Rufus’s attitude, it’s his jerkish attitude all throughout the series that builds you up up until the game’s finale. I won’t give any spoilers for those who haven’t played the series yet, but I will say this… the ending to the third game was awesome and it made me like Rufus as a character as a whole. But the series’ ending, on the trilogy of course, was satisfactory IMHO and I wasn’t one of those fanbois who demanded a “Happier” ending prompting the creation of the fourth game I consider non canon both figuratively and literally as the fourth game centered around time travel and manipulation of reality.

I would consider Rufus to be similar to Gabriel Knight in terms of being a dick and I love both of 'em. As for his creativeness, I’d say he’s kinda like George Stobbart crossed with Guybrush Threepwood and Larry Laffer.

I would’ve bought the game with coins had I not already own both the single game itself and the one included in the trilogy pack in my Steam Library :slight_smile:

Heroes of Hammerwatch is such a great game. You lucked out! I played Hammerwatch many nights with friends while I was on the road, and HoH is a vast improvement.

I’m one of the few who:

1. Didn’t care much about the 3rd game ending and preferred the process of getting there;
  2. Fairly enjoyed the 4th game. It had lots of scenes I geniunely liked, and it made me see Goal in the new light, too.

Yeah, I know they didn’t want to make another game, but I disagree that they just made a crappy game because they didn’t want to do one and didn’t want to be asked to do another. It’s just not the game everyone will enjoy, and it doesn’t avert the ending like many fans (let’s just be honest here) openly wanted. Also, it’s not quite the Rufus we’re bringing to the end of the 3rd game, at least not the one we’ve been traveling with for a while (that’s not a spoiler). It adds a whole new perspective. The only part I got tired was in the beginning, but the rest of the game felt like a wild adventure.

Ah, and we get to see happy Toni.

Fun facts for everyone:

The series kept on giving nods to threes all throughout the Trilogy.

For one thing the first three games all had three chapters each.

On each chapter, we got to explore three very different locations and you can only move from one onto the next, backtracking was none existent.

Rufus along with his brothers Cletus and Argus were three.

In the second game Goal’s personality was split into three, Childish Goal, Angry Goal and Lovey dovey Goal (if I remembere correctly, I could be wrong though).

On the third game, Goal was literally split into three separate entities, or was it Rufus, but I do remember rufus got split as well.

So yeah, uber fanbois missed those threesome cues and insisted a happier ending, also without realizing that a story’s ending ultimately is up to the author much like how Harry Potter didn’t end up with Hermione at the very end of the books, or for something more recently (actually two years late now), how Luke Skywalker ended up becoming emo on The Last Jedi which made a lot of fans upset.

You missed out on Underhero big time. Absolutely amazing game, CAN NOT RECOMMEND IT ENOUGH. That game is legendary and idk how the gaming world overlooked this gem.