New Movie Talk: Now With Frozen 2!

I’m thinking it would be pretty cool to start a movie thread here, whether it be for reacting to new trailers and movies that recently came out. I know it’s not what Chrono does, but hey it’s off topic and it is mostly harmless. There are some really cool reveals this week so it’s the perfect time to talk about them I feel. I’ll start with mine.
SpongeBob: Sponge on The Run (formerly It’s a Wonderful Sponge)

The animation looks so good!! Those textures, animations, damn. It’s unfortunately a reminder that the spinoff will eventually be a thing, regardless of backlash. It’s at least cool that it is mostly him as an adult rather than him as a child, like how someone else on YouTube initially shared it as. The comedy looks to be on point like the other movies, and it looks better than the newer seasons (well I don’t HATE it but rather indifferent to it). It might actually be better than expectations.
Sonic the Hedgehog (the Movie)

At least this is more in line with gaming. Everyone has talked to death about the design in the original cut, and I’m not gonna lie the jokes were getting frustrating and repetitive. Not that I think the design’s brilliant (compared to this it’s horrible I agree) but I’m happy they are able to turn around and give us an improved look to Sonic. While the movie may still turn out bad due to the writing and direction, I might still give it a watch if only to thank the good folks who had to work their butts off on this. I’m not sure who does what, but I’m plugging all the studios here. It’s on IMDB so maybe the info’s off, but it’s a good way to appreciate the efforts done.
Annotation%202019-11-14%20225756
Scoob (or Project S.C.O.O.B. as it was announced)

Ah, yes! Did you know that Scooby Doo is having it’s 50th anniversary? And we all missed it? Anyway here’s a trailer for the new movie, and it looks…alright. The designs are cute though the animation doesn’t look the best. Still, some of the jokes land fairly decently and it doesn’t look awful. Apparently it is a start of a cinematic universe, and we all know the last time WB themselves had a crack at it. But maybe with Joker and Shazam’s success things might be looking up. And Dan Povenmire, who worked on Phineas and Ferb and Milo Murphy’s Law, will be involved in the project as an executive producer. Look, here’s a source I, ahem, borrowed from Wikipedia. New ‘Scooby-Doo’ Movie in the Works from Warner Animation – The Hollywood Reporter Cautiously optimistic with this one.
Edit: just now realised that I’m talking about a SpongeBob movie WITH a SpongeBob pfp while stating my indifference on the newer seasons despite the picture originating from a newer season (the episode in question is SpongeBob in Randomland, yes the one with the Red Mist reference).

6 Likes

Yeah Sonic is looking much better than he was previously and I feel they made the movie seem more appealing in what they showed in the trailer (though Jim Carey just seems like hes being his crazy self rather than Robotnik… whether that is a good thing or not I think could be up for debate). I still think this movie is going to be a trainwreck, but hey Jumanji Welcome to the Jungle surprised me as being much better than I thought it would be, so I will reserve judgement until I see it… if I ever see it.

7 Likes

I’m still holding out for that brief shot of Robotnik-Carrey looking suitably comic-y in design to show up more than right at the end. Yeah video game movies really have a bad track record overall, I’m hoping this is more of a detective pikachu than an assassins creed.

Also, I’m having a hard time coming to terms with Scooby speaking perfect English, but at least his voice is original. Shaggy’s voice isn’t bad but it just seems a little off.

7 Likes

It helps that Scooby is still voiced by someone who is familiar to the role, which I can’t say the same for Shaggy. I agree, hopefully I can adjust to it in the coming months.

5 Likes

I’m excited to see Sonic. Crappy animation, crappy story and a crappy Eggman.
I don’t really care about the fix, it’s probably gonna suck anyway but as a long time Sonic fan I think I can enjoy that kind of bad.

5 Likes

Yeah Scooby’s voice is good thankfully (it’s still Frank Welker I think). I think that it would be worse if he sounded off too.

It’s funny how Fred daphne and Velma have different voices but theirs doesn’t matter nearly as much as Shaggy and Scooby’s

5 Likes

I am excited to see Scooby Doo :grin:

4 Likes

Tbh, I never really liked Detective Pikachu all that much. To me it felt really mediocre at best. Wasn’t impressed with it.

You’re right, it is Frank Welker.

5 Likes

WTF NEW SPONGEBOB MOVIE???

I AM HYPED AF

5 Likes

Honestly I don’t know what to think about the new Spongebob movie. I only saw the trailer today and heard nothing else about it, and it’s been ages since I last watched the show. But it has Keanu in it, and that alone might make it wort checking out?

About Sonic though, oh boy am I excited for that one. I never played any of the games myself, but have for years been experiencing the love-hate relationship a certain grumpy gamer Arin Hanson has towards the franchise. And I honestly really like the redesign, and Jim Carrey as Dr Robotnik already sounded like fun.
Also, I’ve been binging season 2 of DuckTales 2017 this week, and Sonic has the same voice actor as Dewey Duck (the BLUE triplet), and in one episode it was revealed that Dewey’s original name his mother wanted to give him was TURBO! What kind of coincidence is that?

Oh and I heard nothing about Scoob yet. But sorry zoomers, my Shaggy will always be the Ultra Instinct legend Matthew Lillard, just as my Peter Parker will always be Tobey Maguire. And since I had no other contact with the Scooby-Dooh franchise apart from the live action movies (the TV shows never made it to Germany for some reason), I think I’ll pass on this one.

5 Likes

All this talk about the Spongebob cameo… only real 90s kids remember Spongebob’s true live-action savior

6 Likes

f93
I mean without him Bikini Bottom would’ve been in shambles.

5 Likes

I hear Mystery Incorporated was good, though. It has a much darker tone than the usual entries. Same thing about Zombie Island, although I haven’t seen it in years.

Maybe you can check out some of the newer episodes. It has a different artstyle somewhat and is more visual than Dialog. Although it can be a turnoff it might be for you. I recommend Squid Noir and Mimic Madness as a good indicator on what to expect. It isn’t really for me, but it’s a great era visually. My pfp says it all.

Man Keanu has been in many places recently. From John Wick, Toy Story 4, Cyberpunk, and now Spongebob. Hey, if he’s happy and earning some money I’m happy too.

5 Likes

Looks like I’ll be reviving my threads in a sad desperate attempt to talk to someone here.

Anyone here interested in seeing Frozen 2 or has seen it? I’m personally interested in seeing it, but what do you guys think?

5 Likes

Thinking about seeing it with friends, but I’m not sure yet. It seems like a pretty decent movie, though (I enjoyed Frozen 1, surprisingly, but I don’t know about the sequel.)

3 Likes

Hard pass.
I mean, at least it’s not another Live Action Remake of some old classic, so Disney is not completely creatively bankrupt yet. But my overexposure to Frozen merchandise and that damn song really made me not wanna watch either the original or the new sequel, ever.

This right here is the only good thing that ever came from that franchise:

6 Likes

I still have to see the first one. But the one I am waiting for is The Good Liar…

I don’t care about the reviews. Most reviews are wrong…I can not wait to see The Queen face off Gandalf. :exploding_head:

3 Likes

I still think Frozen was a pretty good movie but I don’t know how I feel about a sequel. Disney/Pixar has been so extremely hit or miss these last 10 years or so.
For every good movie like Zootopia or Big Hero 6 there has been like 10 trainwrecks like Moana or Brave.
I will probably just pirate it like always.

5 Likes

Woah you didn’t like Moana?

4 Likes

It’s the one Disney movie I’d straight up delete. But I will say “You’re welcome” and “Shiny” are still excellent songs.

4 Likes