Never really played a Assassin's Creed game. But where should I start?

nop…

nope, nope, nope, stop making me want to replay old games :blush:

4 Likes

What actually makes it inferior to the preceding games?

2 Likes

I guess everybody just hates Connor, lol

I think that everybody was just burned out with the games as the story just imploded and they failed to rly bring anything new to the series, in addition to the fact that everybody rly loved Ezio so much and Connor had to follow him

I personally do like Connor somewhat, and his father a lot more, and I rly dislike young Ezio’s personality, but i love old Ezio

4 Likes

I remember this! Ubisoft games usually have the best glitches. If this would happen to my game, I’d probably freak out and seek an exorcist XD

3 Likes

to me the “entire” game just felt halfassed
the tedious collectathon from previous
the annoying parts of AC series still present, not improved, not expanded upon, combat, missions, “plot”, so on, has that total a-b pointlessness feel to it so much throughout, where you just sit and wish you could skip X to move the fck along
then there is the “new” stuff, like sailing, trading, “crafting”, hunting, which just felt so poorly done, like it was obviously thrown in to tick some box or trend, with no more impact like a novelty or as “player choice” to have “features” because “open world” that in the end just seemed like another symptom of no substance but just X mini task/grind to do, because fck putting actual sht in an open world game instead /effort

it’s been a while since i played it, but my single fun memory of that game is actually the dlc with Washington, because it offered some slight use of the concept of altered timelines, and not that boring derivative spoon-fed birth of a nation story
-set it a 100-200 years earlier, actually take advantage of the native american perspective, mythos/make some interesting lore,
hell if they’d made a sandbox where you were just some “wild savage” running down clubbing settlers landing on the beach’s skulls in, that would have been more entertaining instead of this poor drivel
it’s 90% all the boring, bad features, of Assassin’s creed games crammed into one utterly unoriginal and uninteresting story/characters/“package” just amidst a minimap exploration/“grind” +checkbox fest

i don’t “hate” connor, but fck me is he just dislikeable from just pure lack of interest and overall squandered writing+gameplay…

ezio was a character, -hell even altair was more interesting than AC3 characters, that should say a lot

imo AC3 could have been done anywhere in “anyway” with completely indistinguishable “faceless” grey blobs,
you know that scene in terminator 2 where the android is this shapeless 6feet mush for a moment before taking form? -yea that’s how the entirety of ac3 could have been made, and it would still have been more cool to play and added some actual personality to the game/scene

besides the washington dlc, the only part i remember i liked was the minimal boating… -and that’s what we’ve got black flag for now

sometimes i still slap myself in the back of the head for pushing through and enduring all of ac3 instead of just putting it down when i realized how i disliked it :confounded: -all that wasted time :man_facepalming:, could have twirled my finger in my belly button instead and i’d probably feel more accomplished and satisfied by it

(as you can tell i don’t like ac3 very much, so maybe some of my opinions/recollection are “tainted” as such. But i still hold, imo, that someone might as well just “skip” without missing much of anything) :+1:

7 Likes

Ratonhnhaké:ton #lookatmeimahipster had Bow and Arrow, and that was enough for me to like the game.

4 Likes

First and foremost, I think the major problem I have with 3 is that they burned a lot of bridges in the modern-day story line. The whole point of the AC series up to that point was that you had the main character in modern day, they were reliving the memories of their ancestor, and in the process we were learning more about the age-old battle between the Templars and the Assassins and how they tie into the beginnings of the human race.

With the advent of 3, they effectively threw that out the window. You still had the “evil empire” that’s tied to the templars, but it no longer focused on a single modern-day protagonist. They cast it as you, the player, being the modern-day main character. EDIT: My error. The first-person, “you’re the protagonist” stuff kicked into high gear with 4, not 3. But either way the modern plot was weak, and Now, that wouldn’t have necessarily been so bad if they had spun it properly, but they also saddled us with a very unlikable past protagonist. Connor was, to put it bluntly, a dick, and his story arc was not really that interesting. Hell, the guy you initially expect to play as, Haytham, was infinitely more interesting, just from his initial showing at the beginning of the game.

On top of that, they had fallen into a rut with the game play, that being the default Ubi arc of “go to location, climb the tower, activity icons splooge all over your map, clear the icons, play the next piece of the plot, lather, rinse, repeat in the next section of the map”. It was padding the game with collection pieces that didn’t need to be there, and it made the game very un-fun.

That being said, 3 was also the introduction of the seafaring portion of the game. When you get to that point in the game, it opens up the world a LOT, and it becomes a lot more enjoyable. I spent plenty of time sailing around and avoiding the main plot line in the game, just because I didn’t really give a rat’s backside to see what happened in the main arc.

That’s the main reason why I say skip 3 in favor of jumping straight to Black Flag. AC4 gives us a decent protagonist (Edward, the grandfather of Connor), a hell of a lot more seafaring action, and although it does still fall into a bit of the same game play loop it doesn’t necessarily feel like it’s a chore, like it did in 3. Rogue, otoh, gets a bit of the short shrift, due to its initial weak release (on last gen’s consoles when the PS4 and XBone were just rolling out), but it still has a lot of good ship game play and an interesting story that lets you actually play as a Templar. Either one of them is a valid choice to play, and they’re both a hell of a lot more fun than 3 ever was.

4 Likes

Most people just hate the main character, Connor. I don’t really despise him or anything, but he’s a bit of a letdown because you start off the game as a much more likeable character named Hathym. The game also has colonial architecture-- I found it to be a neat change of pace, but it makes the game way less vertical than previous entries. They also completely starve you for upgrade money, forcing you to hunt animals for long and boring amounts of time if you want to get new gear more often.

Like others said, it’s also where AC truly went annualized. They tried to finish off the timeline while still leaving room for future entries, and the outcome was… no outcome at all for the series. It’s a pretty underwhelming ending, even by AC standards.

Oh, and Desmond sections. Not as bad as previous games, but it boils down to interrupting the main game to listen to cringey banter between Desmond and his asshole friends during mediocre parkour sections (without a threat, of course) for about an hour at a time. Thankfully, it’ll be the last game where you’ll ever have to suffer through another one, not that the new “modern” sections are much better.

It’s also kind of awkward and dated now, since for whatever reason they decided to tie the plot into an inaccurate Mayan Doomsday prediction that’s now six years out of date (assuming it was the correctly associated date to begin with, which it wasn’t-- it was a conversion error :man_shrugging:)

It’s not a bad game, and in fact it introduced the seafaring mechanics that everyone seemed to love. People just really got all excited for a game with big 18th century musket firing-line standoffs and crazy new mechanics.

5 Likes

Haytham :wink:

1 Like

Thanks all for your detailed replies. I own 1, 2, 3 and Black Flag but have only played the first game, which I initially though was awesome, and then once I realised that it was literally the same thing over, and over, and over, and over, and then some more over…wow, it got old fast. Presentation was nice but everything else felt lacking. I still intend to play the other games I own but had often seen people recommend Brotherhood and 2 over 3 and had always wondered what the issues were.

Protagonist wise, Altair and Desmond did nothing for me, so hopefully if I ever do get around to 3 Connor will just wash over me in the same way.

5 Likes

you should start from 1 to the last one and never skip a game, i enjoyed all assasin´s creed games

1 Like