Morality in gaming

I hadn’t heard of black & white, but now I want to.

2 Likes

I bow my antenna to you, sir.

Here are some screenshots of Black and White and a description for the curious:

The player takes on the role of a god ruling over several islands populated by various tribes. The player interacts with the environment via an animated, on-screen hand, that is used to throw people and objects, tap houses to wake their occupants, cast miracles, and perform other actions. (…)

Nearly every action (or lack thereof) affects how the player is judged by their followers: the player may be seen as a good god, an evil one, or in-between the two. The land, interface (including the hand), and music change according to that alignment. A good god’s temple is brightly coloured, while an evil god’s is designed to look intimidating. It is not necessary to consistently perform acts of either alignment and a mixture of the two can be used to stay neutral. The player has two advisors, one good and the other evil, who try to persuade the player to do things according to their alignment.

the advisors

pet tiger

3 Likes

That was my first proper PC game sans Atari and Commodore 64 along with Operation Flashpoint and considering I was 11 at the time I wasn‘t really the type for tactical warfare, so Black & White became an instant favorite! I always had the disgusting evil hand cursor. :man_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

It was, well, it depends on the mode you play.

It all started in Reach (well, ODST actually), they had loadouts in that game where you can choose your starting weapons, nothing fancy, just a pair of options, ie. instead of the pistol you’ll start with the plasma pistol, or use the plasma rifle instead of the assault rifle.

In Halo 4 they got more fleshed out, you could even save them and name them depending on what you use them for, I got quite fond of pulse grenades, nobody expected them to be actually effective.

And now in Halo 5… you have card packs that give you different loadouts and allow you to call in weapons and vehicles mid-game along other shenanigans, not to mention the microtransaction scheme going on, at least the whole endeavor is limited to one game mode, so you still have your arena game modes.

But even in 3 you can prioritize certain weapons over others, I usually went for plasma base weapons since they were good for taking down shields, so I would usually go along people taking down shields while they dealt the damage, I also got quite good at dealing with vehicles too.

3 Likes

I haven’t actually played Saints Row. Mind spoiling that bit for me?

1 Like

There is a “moral” choice

that...

involves either choosing revenge/defeating the main villain or saving your friend(s).

1 Like

Gotcha. I’d probably agonize for a while about that but I think I’d end up going with the more “good” choice in that situation. Even in a setting without morals, per se, some things are still important.

I tend to follow the whole “code of honor” shtick with a lot of those choices, if you couldn’t tell :wink:

1 Like