Mini Motorways Hyper Competitive Chrono Cup

What I thought would be a cursed run turned out ok, from the start the colours were all over the place

5 Likes

Zürich is a nightmare. I just barely managed to reach 1000 and everything manages to be both far too spread out and way too clustered up simultaneously.

2 Likes

Big jam up under the two highways you can’t see. Think I caused it with a traffic light.

Fraction of a second away from a car picking up one at the offending pin.

3 Likes

not sure if you know (general tip for anyone who doesn’t know), but u can actually drag the highways left and right by grabbing them in the middle, thus allowing you more visibility, and u can thus kinda choose where they are suspended

3 Likes

I always feel like I never get enough highways. Most of the time I’m stuck with 2 and rarely get more to pick.

Could really have used one for the top right greens, tried to abolish the need for highway 1 by giving the reds a dedicated outside street, but I didn’t dare to remove it as all those stores were perpetually on the edge. Of course the losing store was one that snuck in without me noticing and had a red pin before I even connected it.

I experimented a bit to see if you could possibly do clever things with road structures and build better intersections manually rather than relying on roundabouts. But even at this simple a level it’s shown that the driving AI will pick the worst possible option.

They could have treated the diamonds as one way streets and take the path that wont result in a lane change, but they did the opposite. Making sure to get in each other’s way, which I suppose is the shortest route. But in heavy traffic it wouldn’t be the faster one.

2 Likes

I tried to make my Beijing run color efficient partway through and within 1 minute the game decided it absolutely could NOT have that and placed a new building.

@M00 I did not know about dragging the middle part.

4 Likes

Felt this ended a little earlier than it should have, but my best Tokyo so far

3 Likes

Those late game low density store that pops up at the off side of a city are a real bother. They’re hard to reach with ordinary roads as it’s likely to pass through residential areas at a time when most of your residents are busy trying to keep up with the high density stores already overflowing. Everyone living near that failing pink store is taking the highway to the top middle one and everyone else has a very long path to get to there.

I have a similar problem here in Dubai.

Highway 4 saved the yellow once, I didn’t want to move it and instead tried to clear the path so that pink should have a reasonably clear path to just drive there, but they just wouldn’t. I moved the highway far too late and it didn’t even relocate before failure happened. I really needed at least one more HW and preferably one more to connect the newly spawning purples down left.

2 Likes

best score i’ve gotten so far is on today’s daily:

first 2000+ score i’ve gotten so far actually (didn’t think to screenshot the map before going out of it)

3 Likes

Managed a pretty decent score in Mexico city, despite only ever being offered two highways. Both of them employed to ferry whites across town.

The intersection below the orange/yellow trade center was hastily reconstructed towards the end giving yellows a more direct route and alleviating some of the traffic clogging up around the white tower. But it was as usual too late to matter. Had those not failed I would soon have been in trouble with the Teals no doubt as they did not seem inclined to make use of highway 2.

1 Like

They’ve changed it so 3 way intersections counts as full intersections now, everyone will slow down everywhere all the time. While that makes it so I don’t have to really bother with stringing houses along to avoid 4 ways as much as possible it really messes with the flow of traffic everywhere. Now you have to build “stroads” as much as you can connecting sparingly to as few and as large suburban cul de sacs as possible. Don’t really like it. Who comes to a full stop at a T section when you’re going straight through it? You’d usually have right of way in such situations with incoming turning traffic having to yield.

They’ve tweaked the red lights to change faster, maybe they’re going to end up being necessary now.

2 Likes

If I remember right, in Belgium you always have to yield to whoever’s coming from the right by default, regardless of the structure of the crossing, unless there’s another overriding factor ofc.

We could also imagine there’s (implied tough invisible) “stop signs” at each crossing as well, and in that case you have to “stop” even if just for a fraction of a second, regardless of there being traffic or not

1 Like

Yes but no road engineer would build such an intersection. If you have a main road fed by connecting roads in T sections then the main road will be given priority, canceling the right hand yield rule. In sweden this is done with this sign
B4 – Huvudled
which marks the road as a main road and every attached road having a stop sign. So traffic on the main road can flow freely without having to stop. Of course this works as long as traffic isn’t so heavy cars are stacking up on the other roads. Anyway, there really shouldn’t be a reason for someone crossing an empty T intersection to stop.

Either way, I find the game a lot harder now. Intersections previously perfectly capable of sustained flow gets stacked up and gridlocked. Lights seem to help a little, but only with fairly light traffic. I would need a roundabout at every intersection now to reach my previous records, will have to see if alternative approaches can be found that’ll work.

2 Likes

I can only guess they did this to actually make traffic lights relevant? This might also mean beating previous leaderboards becomes unattainable going forward.

2 Likes