Mandatory Update for Win7 to Replace SHA-1 Hash in March

Now lets just hope that’s ALL that mandatory patch does and it doesn’t also come bundled with a bunch of spyware. It’s been a right chore to go through every update for these past few years and manually select the updates that seem harmless and necessary.

6 Likes

wait what?

i read the articles (and they don’t really seem to elaborate further on this), does anybody have an idea/guess to what it might mean, “more specifically” ??
does this mean MS stops doing "update when you wish"mode?, and that i can’t just install this standalone update “late”,say August, and then pick any subsequent SH2 updates “retroactively”/in the update backlog?, like are they straight up removing the ability to update at times you see fit, basically making it impossible to format/reinstall win7 as you “only have this 4month specific window to get the prerequisite update”??
or am i reading way too much into this schedule date’ness?

also:
I’m gonna install these updates in may, 2 months after rollout, giving time for it to be tried and tested; and it’s still gonna wreck my system, right? right… :unamused:

4 Likes

I have the Windows 10 Home Edition and all I can say is that I wish it gave me the option to no longer receive updates. It automatically downloads everything for me without my permission at irregular times.

Worse, the option to turn it off is to purchase the Windows 10 Pro Edition.

Stay on Win7 fellas.

6 Likes

@GDBringer

I caved in for VR and Crackdown 3 and I only half regret my decision as both of these things exist now.

4 Likes

It’s impossible to truly turn off updates through Windows 10’s options no matter which edition you have. I’m on the Education Edition which is higher than Pro and i only have the option to pause and delay updates.

Even if you disable the update service, it will still manage to update. Just like it’s impossible to truly disable Cortana.

I have a wrapper script to disable updates as well as blocking the URL’s on my modem. I suspect that it’s STILL finding a way to update.

I want my system to be secure but i don’t want all the forced “features.” Security updates can be mandatory but anything else should be optional. Until MS goes back to doing it that way, i’ll keep resisting the updates.

I wish i could find a Linux distribution to really replace Windows full-time but i always have more problems with Linux than with Windows.

8 Likes

And what happens if you have to reinstall Win7? For like… a clean install…?

3 Likes

Right??? :scream:

Linux can be fun, but with the amount of time I’ve spent messing around with it, I could’ve completed many games (most of which don’t work on Linux).

Also, poker clients are not at all Linux-friendly, and that’s a real problem for me.

I used to use both Windows and Linux, switching back and forth, but that became such a hassle, that I only reinstalled Windows when I got my new SSD. I meant to reinstall Linux too, but it just hasn’t happened. I think I’m unconsciously worried about the inevitable time sinks.

2 Likes

I think the problem with Linux is a bit of a circular problem. It requires a bunch of time and is missing features. Because of that, people don’t want to use it. Because people don’t want to use it, developers don’t want to develop for it. Because nothing is developed, there are missing features as well as missing QoL that means you have to spend a bunch of time on it.

In order to fix it, people have to break one of the links. It’s a slow work in process as independent people improve stuff in their free time. I just don’t see it really taking off for a while.

4 Likes

well that was kinda my question :smile:

2 Likes

Are there any other current discussions about this update other than this? Keeping an eye out for stuff like this.

1 Like

I’m up to date on Windows 7 Pro as far as I know, and the only thing I noticed that was new upon a new install on my SSD was that I got a blue screen telling me that my OS was outdated and that I should go and buy Windows 10 (of course I laughed and declined). I haven’t gotten this pop up just yet, but the moment I do I’m going to be extremely annoyed.

This is why Linux is superior, its user friendly and doesn’t bloat you don’t with garbage. The only thing missing from the Linux community now is input from developers for sophisticated software and more games (though the later is improving steadily), but they’re being paid off by Microsoft or are too lazy/unmotivated to go for Linux development (I mean look at AMD) so Linux will stay small and Microsoft will continue to grow and abuse its customers with its practices.

EDIT

Oh, the pop ups begin April 18th. Well I didn’t pay good cash moneys for Windows 7 Pro to get invasive, annoying pop ups Microsoft. :expressionless:

3 Likes

Being unable to sleep I figured I’d go about the long overdue process of checking windows updates, see which ones to get and which ones to dodge. Came across this piece of information in that process.

SHA-2 Code Signing
For Windows 7 Users, the SHA-2 Code Signing Support becomes mandatory in July. You will need to have KB4474419 (the SHA-2 update) and KB4490628 (2019-03 Servicing Stack) installed for Win7 SP1, Server 2008 R2 SP1, and Server 2008 SP2 prior to August updates.

Curtesy of Askwoody.com

Once that requirements comes into effect you probably wont be able to get those or any updates from windows update as was speculated earlier. You will still be able to grab them from the windows update catalogue, might have to do so even now. I could not find them in my list of recommended updates.
You can grab them here:

As for the windows 7 end of life notification that’s kb4493132 so if you’re getting those then just uninstall this update and hide it if you find it in your update queue.

2 Likes

Hi everyone. If any of you – or anyone else reading this – ends up deciding to move into a Linux distro, especially for gaming, I’m happy to help setting it up. Just PM me.

I’d recommend the following distros for anyone who’s new to GNU and looking to play games on it:

Remember, you can always:

1. Try out any Linux distro without installing it, via a live CD/pen-drive and
  2. Dual boot with Windows, in case you still need both. Every time you turn on your computer, you’ll be prompted to select a distro to boot into. This is the path I recommend.

Linux is much easier to set up nowadays, and it’s perfectly reasonable to stick to the GUI and forget about the command line on all the aforementioned distros. You can always reach out to me or fellow active* Linux users on forums such as the Manjaro Forums or r/Linux_Gaming if you have any questions, as there are plenty of misconceptions circling around and being reinforced – by more misconceptions.

Finally, I’m not sure what any of this Windows update business is, but I wish you all the best of luck. :blush:

2 Likes

I’ve tried Linux before. Think it was Ubuntu. I might still have the installation USB drive somewhere.

Probably not the best for gaming, it was more for seeing how it was.

1 Like

Obviously not ‘the best’ for gaming, it’s not like it’s had the main attention from game developers for 24 years. Question is rather if it’s adequate for gaming or not and I do believe it is, 2nd question is how many drawbacks apart from gaming you’re willing to suffer from Windows at this point.

Personally I’m thinking the balance might soon be shifting in linux’ favour.

1 Like

Sorry I should have been clearer: active Linux users.

I say this because the Linux scene has changed heavily in the last couple of years. I still remember my young self installing Ubuntu 12.04 LTS for the first time in 2013… and it sucked. It essentially broke my computer and I had to spend a solid couple of days on extra doses of coffee and nearly in tears trying to figure out the command lines.

Fast forward to 2019, and I installed Manjaro KDE in less time than Windows, it came with Steam preinstalled and all my Nvidia drivers automatically identified, installed and working. No borks, no problems.

It’s completely different nowadays, and as I have reiterated many times, I can play around 80% of my library with Proton. In fact, the only things I can recall not being able to play are Ubisoft games, due to their launcher.

I’d love to create a thread here on Chrono about how I play games on Manjaro. With some screenshots, explanations, upsides and downsides. But for all people reply to me on other posts about it, I strongly feel no one would actually read the thread, and that’s what’s holding me back from doing it.

2 Likes

While that may be true, it still isn’t as easy as installing Windows. I was getting the Unknown file system error when I tried, which is just due to the settings in Rufus but many typical users will have a hard time figuring that out. Windows is just easier as you don’t need a USB installer and it’s media creation tool is so easy to use. IDK maybe I just have little faith in the typical user lol. Also having so many distros is good and bad, people can get overwhelmed with what distro to get, what version of that distro to get, but it is also good to have so many options as users can get the exact OS layout and functions they want. The fact that you can’t get 100% of programs/games to work is still keeping it from going mainstream. IMO it still isn’t quite ready for mainstream but dang it is getting close and that will be a great day :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Quite frankly your “typical user” don’t know how to install windows either and only buys computers with windows preinstalled. I suspect anyone who actually have tried and successfully installed windows themselves would be perfectly capable to do the same with linux these days.

4 Likes

When was this, what version of Manjaro were you trying to install? :blush:

Is this the error you’re referencing to? If so, it’s just a grub problem, not a Manjaro problem. If you didn’t encrypt your home folder, it’s easy to solve – see first reply in aforementioned link.

I’m linking this to anyone who might read your post and wonder, btw. I get it that you understand how to troubleshoot it!

To install Manjaro I basically just pressed “ok/next” a few times and it installed. It was really easy for me, the GUI is very clear. See video:

@all: main recommendation to anyone who’s installing a distro they never used is: never do it in all your PCs, always make sure you have a spare PC you can burn a DVD/pendrive from. If you only have one PC and you’re new to Linux distros, probably don’t install it – unless you have someone you can count on to help you troubleshoot it in case you run into issues. :+1:

I think I have derailed the thread enough, goodbye lol :wave:

EDIT: linked to Manjaro KDE flavor installation instead as that’s what I’m currently on.

2 Likes

yes that is the exact error and at the time, which was about 2 months ago, I tried all of those and none worked, kept getting an error about the volume name. What worked was using DD mode in Rufus. Oh and the version was 18.0.4

2 Likes