Looking for a Thing

tried that as well to no avail lol

6 Likes

I’m not sure if that’s a good thing or a bad thing :joy:

Is it a leaf?

I tried finding a picture of a girl in a red skirt with a cocktail but failed. Sorry :frowning:

There is also a pumpkin and a nut in my picture, someone should ask if it is a byproduct of a plant or tree. Those are unlikely to be in an office though.

6 Likes

He said by itself it’s not considered alive. That suggests if you add something to it, it would be alive. Which leads me to believe it comes from a plant, say like an apple or orange. By itself, literally, you would not typically consider an apple alive. But if it was on a tree still, you could consider it alive.

5 Likes

My question: The Thing you found in the photo with the toys, was it an actual example of the Thing, or a fake version of it? As an example, if the thing were “squirrel”, would the fake/toy squirrel in the image count for a “yes”?

4 Likes

I found a plastic pumpkin if that was what you were wondering. I don’t think a swallow could carry one of those though.

(not a guess)

This is where wording is important. You CAN find those in an office. It’s just not usually found.

6 Likes

Guessing for the heck of it. Is it a wing?

5 Likes

I don’t know, a lotta nuts in my office :rofl:

I’ll guess the acorn just because I feel so strongly about the above statement.

6 Likes

O.O well I’ll be damned…

I mean… so many great observations and points were made, so many close guesses, but I suppose Doomy didn’t need all that.
Doomy just straight up kills:D

This ended so abruptly, I don’t even know what to say right now. Thank you guys, thank you for the lovely torrent of posts and thank you for playing the game:) I guess I’ll be seeing you in the next one:D

And you, @Doomy, you… (!) I’ll be PMing you shortly:D

The enctryption method:
9382b20e6bd63e8419d3cc71a3c1501a = MD5(ROT13(leaf))

8 Likes

Well I’m going to say that I would definitely consider a leaf to be alive. It starts dying once you’ve ripped it off, but leaves are alive until they’re not anymore. The same way someone’s finger is alive, until you rip it off and leave it to bleed out. But if you the item was a finger you’d likely consider it to be a living thing.

@Pylinaer If I adhere to my previous mention of the scientific stance of what constitutes life then an apple is alive. The cells within an apple are just as alive as a cell in any other plant. Again until it isn’t and starts rotting because it’s been killed by being removed or intentionally dropped from it’s tree.

This is kind of what I mean by trying to be more direct with the answers. Because yeah I could see how someone would not consider apples to be alive. It’s not like they’re running around or chirping at each other at the grocery store shelves, they’re not sentient. I’d very much say they count as alive still.

8 Likes

Haha cool, thanks for the giveaway. Fun fact, I found the picture by googling picture with a lot of things. Special thanks to @Pylinaer for the tip.
The games must continue!

6 Likes

I said plant, but it was a leaf. Welp, I was close enough. Specifics killed me again :crazy_face:
Congrats Doomy, and thank you Supreme for another cool GA.

7 Likes

My second guess (if possible) would have been branch, somehow didn’t think leaf would be right. Nice game and gg @Doomy

5 Likes

Am I the only one here who couldn’t find a leaf in the image?:joy:

6 Likes

I was looking at the image earlier too (even though I couldn’t participate due to my community join date; wish the main site’s account creation date counted somehow) and didn’t see anything either. At least, until now.

Maybe the hint in the image was meant to be the potted flower toy in the bottom left corner.

7 Likes

That’s what I thought as well. But it felt like a bit cheesy for that.:sweat_smile:

5 Likes

I even missed the game! Oh well. congrats.

But now I’m curious because I’m looking for a leaf in that picture…

6 Likes

There is a potted plant in the lower left side.

7 Likes

My head is too small for this type of giveaways :confused:
Thank u anyways for giveaways

4 Likes

Oh, I’ve totally missed that last night, didn’t notice the edit after the tip.
Kudos to @Pylinaer for the winning assist:)

@Doomy was kind enough to donate nearly his entire prize to the next giveaway’s pot. You can thank him for that as well:)

@Luxen, there will be no entry requirements in the next giveaway:)

Some closing comments:

– On the lack of strict yes/no answers:
Not all yes/no questions can be answered with yes/no answers. Example:
Can a swallow carry a spider? Sure.
What if it’s a big-ass spider? Nope!
What if the big-ass spider is dead? It depends … on many factors - from both the contextual, as well as factual perspectives.

The reason for the yes/no questions requirement is to reduce compounding complexities form both the questions and the answers end.
As players are enquiring about a subject, which is in constantly shifting stages of unknown, they cannot be expected to exclusively ask questions which can be answered with a definite yes or no.
It is a game played by humans, not a machine I/O processor.

– On the aspect of being alive:
From a linguistical standpoint:

Cambridge:
ALIVE | meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary >> defined as living >>
LIVING | meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary >>
living organisms
ORGANISM | meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary
a single living plant, animal, virus, etc.

Oxford:
ALIVE | Meaning & Definition for UK English | Lexico.com >>
[predicative] (of a person, animal, or plant) living, not dead.

Collins:
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/alive >> defined as not dead >>
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/dead >> A person, animal, or plant that is dead is no longer living.

Merriam-Webster:
Alive Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster >> defined as having life / not dead >>
Life Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster >>
a: the quality that distinguishes a vital and functional being from a dead body
b: a principle or force that is considered to underlie the distinctive quality of animate beings
c: an organismic state characterized by capacity for metabolism (…), growth, reaction to stimuli, and reproduction

Thus, a leaf would not be considered alive by itself.

From a scientific standpoint:

Life - Life - Wikipedia :
Various forms of life exist, such as plants, animals, fungi, protists, archaea, and bacteria.
There is currently no consensus regarding the definition of life. One popular definition is that organisms are …
From the common biological perspective, the subject of life is elaborated on in the context of organisms - Organism - Wikipedia, which are to exhibit a defined set of traits - Life - Wikipedia

Organisms (…) such as multicellular animals, plants, and fungi; or unicellular microorganisms such as protists, bacteria, and archaea. All types of organisms are capable of reproduction, growth and development, maintenance, and some degree of response to stimuli.

A leaf - Leaf - Wikipedia - is an organ, not an organism. The subject of being alive is not considered in the context of organs - neither in the aforementioned articles or the sources they link to.

There is a very limited number of known species of plants which leaves are equipped with stem cell structures that would allow them to restate themselves as an organism.
Nearly none of those are capable of accomplishing this without human assistance (botanical engineering). None of those examples could be considered commonly known.

Thus, a leaf would not be considered alive by itself.

The arbiter’s role is not to look into, or comment on players’ beliefs and opinions - relating to the games subject - during the game.
Unless a player can back those notions up with commonly accessible sources of knowledge, they shall keep them to themselves - as to not confuse other players.

Anyone not strictly sharing this approach is welcome not to participate.

8 Likes

Also… If we had been allowed to ask questions other than Yes/No questions, I guess I’d ask “What is it?”. :thinking:

So, instead I’ll tell an original joke: “Elephants have ears”. “Never mind, that’s irrelevant (ear-elephant)”.

7 Likes