Interesting statistics on controller gaming on PC. (Steam - Controller Gaming on PC.)

Iā€™ve considered myself a Playstation gamer since the original launched, and as a result the Dual Shock is my go to form factor. I picked up the OG Xbox several years after itā€™s launch (and demise) and whilst I had no issues with the pad, the asymmetric stick placement doesnā€™t suit my preferenceā€¦however, when I was looking at getting a gamepad for my PC it seemed that the wired 360 pad was the way to go, with fewer issues and just working out of the box. Luckily for me I inherited my brotherā€™s PS3, so hooking up the DS3 to my PC via USB and using the Motioninjoy drivers with BetterDS3 (yes I know how awful Motioninjoy is) was the method I used way back when and itā€™s served me since. Iā€™d probably upgrade to a DS4 if I ever had to, and whilst the Xbox Elite Controller seems to be the premium choice for PC gamers (judging by review/opinion), Iā€™m just used to the DS layout.

4 Likes

yeah it is the same one, I can tell because they dont number the buttons anymore. I bought it like 10 years ago, possibly longer than that. I also have the updated version as well. Yeah it could be the games we play.

1 Like

wired x360 here, because iā€™m a luddite :blush:

4 Likes

Used to use the Logitech chillstream and it was amazing I can not understand why no one else makes a similar thing or why not all controllers comes with internal fans by default.

But since that one died I went and got the ordinary old boring xbox 360 controller everyone else has, which also died so I ended up with the xbone one that Iā€™m currently breaking. The shoulder buttons were never quite reliably responsive and especially the right one has always been a little iffy. Thatā€™s block in DS3 and health potions in Dead Cells so thatā€™s always fun when it doesnā€™t work immediately.

3 Likes

Thanks, someone told me how to do it months ago but I forgot,but donā€™t worry Iā€™ll remember this time :+1:

1 Like

:disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Weā€™re you the one who told me, I thought it was agzer, but I did have a sneaking suspicion that you were the one who did.
I feel like Iā€™m deraling this thread, so Iā€™ll try to put it back on itā€™sā€¦ rail?

Has any Chronie ever used a steam controller, and if you have whatā€™s your review on it?
I almost bought a steam controller but after seeing a couple YouTube reviews I decided to play it safe and go with a Xbox one controller.

I use a steam controller and thanks to it being fully configurable I use it in a lot of keyboard and mouse only games both on and off steam. It took some getting used to, especially the touch pads. I almost gave up on it at first and went back to my xbox 360 gamepad, but Iā€™m glad that I was too stubborn to do so. :stuck_out_tongue: Ugh, it was a lifesaver when my mouse broke suddenly and had to wait a couple of days for a replacement as well.

2 Likes

I use 6 wired xbox 360 controllersā€¦

2 Likes

Simultaneously?

4 Likes

makes sense

5 Likes

:thinking:

5 Likes

y no, they only need one hand per controller dude, come on, thatā€™s elementary school level knowledge

1 Like

I wonder if anyone still uses the Steel Battalion control set up? It was an amazing set up back in the day -

5 Likes

60$ game, 300$ controller, now that was a brilliant idea :smile:

6 Likes

When I have 6 people over to play somethingā€¦ yes.

1 Like

But Giant Robots.

2 Likes

What game do you play that accepts 6 players? most couch games only get to 4

@xist but empty wallet :cry:

1 Like

Those Steam stats are good news for my favorite controller. They were patching the client towards it the last few months and it seems they will keep on doing that.

I started back in the day with Logitech Rumblepad 2, like few chronies here as well :stuck_out_tongue: I was used to Dual Shock 1 from my PS so this was the natural choice. It was so bad though (the D-pad was still tad better than 360 and it was almost impossible to make the rumble to work with x360ce) that I went to X360 after a year or two. The 360 served me right for 5-6 years, but I was never really happy with it and Iā€™m glad the R1/RB broke so I could buy something better.

DS4 v2.0 is by far the best controller Iā€™ve used so far. I tested xOne for a day or so, but it pales in comparison with what Sony offers for the same price - more buttonsā€¦ more optionsā€¦ touchpad even with multi touch and far better build quality. XOne plastic is like a cheap toy in comparison and finally I can enjoy great (if not the best) D-pad again.
DS4Windows tool works great and provides insane amount of customization so Iā€™m surprised that Steam are concerned that people need to use extra software when itā€™s that good and easy to set up, but probably kids have issues with it :smiley:

3 Likes

You are correct that most games get to 4 (quite a number just have 2).

What games accept more than that? Really just Screencheatā€¦

2 Likes