GOG/DRM free

pretty good idea, one that more than one of us would bite on I think.

This is also why I often choose to buy from Humble (to get the DRM-free download option in addition to the Steam key, for those games that have it available.)

9 Likes

I prefer GOG to Steam as well. The problem is that not too many big titles would wish to go the GOG route.

9 Likes

This would be great, pretty please? I only buy games on Steam when they’re not available on GOG, and only when I strongly want to play said game.

5 Likes

If the key is free, then I too would like to get it without DRM, but the reason why I buy on Steam is because they do the regional price thing, more often than not, is more cheaper for me to buy the game on Steam at my regular price, even if it’s on discount somewhere else.

I believe miss @coralinecastell is on the same boat as well.

6 Likes

What?!

3 Likes

Typing this because apparently, the post can’t be empty even thou I think is clear enough with just the quoted bit

4 Likes

I like to pick GOG games when they’re retro styled etc, so that choice would be nice.

though that usually condemns them to never being played again.

3 Likes

Mr. Inferry, I’m not on the same boat. Here’s why: GOG has very good regional pricing for Brazilians. Plus, they have their ‘fair price’ policy, which basically ensures you get some money back if the publisher did a poop-poop job at providing one of their games with a price tag suitable to your country’s income.

I guess at the end of the day buying on any given store boils down to which currency you have and whatever you feel is more convenient for you. :woman_shrugging:

8 Likes

@Inferry dude, “DRM free” means “free of DRM” (and should have been “DRM-free”), not “free of price”, so @WikiTora’s remark was valid and correct

5 Likes

@harith I think what he meant was “I’ll get games on GOG at the price of Chrono coins [free], but I won’t buy them [pay actual money] on GOG because, to me, it’s more worthwhile to get them on Steam instead.”

3 Likes

Sorted it.

4 Likes

Now I get what you mean, even if I disagree. I value DRM-free games over other options, so much that I could buy the same game at a slightly higher price, without a doubt. But, GOG has some really cool business practices going on, like @coralinecastell said, so I’m not concerned about pricing. It’s more a matter of availability.

9 Likes

all good, but I think yr message was fine, I felt Inferry had misunderstood what u meant (but i guess i misunderstood what he meant) and tried to clarify things

3 Likes

I myself got confused to what he meant too. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I’m complex like that :upside_down_face:

@WikiTora If you consider twice the price to be just slightly higher then more power to you pal, I’m not gonna talk you out of it.

Now seriously, I’m obviously generalizing, I’m sure there will be games with good reasonable prices in comparison, like Psychonauts for example, but by experience, this is rarely the case, I don’t have that much of a budget to invest in games, I’m sure a good chunk of my library is the result of freebies, giveaways, gifts, bundles and such.

I understand and accept that’s pretty much my problem, but as such, I ought to get the best out of what I can, if and when the price disparity is as you said, just slightly higher, I will certainly weight it accordingly, but with things as they are, my considerations are merely different.

@coralinecastell Dully noted ma’am, I didn’t know you got regional prices with GOG, but all my prices are in USD with not option on sight to change that, as such I don’t have access to their fair price policy, was other the case, I would certainly change that.

6 Likes

I’ve payed € 35 for RiME and got back around € 9, which is 25%. With that money I’ve bought another game, which gave more money back. And with that money… well, you get the idea.
Of course you can find cheaper deals, but when I want to play a game I just pay for it, and if it’s DRM-free, it’s even better.
Having the option for DRM-free games here on Chrono, would be great IMO. I’m unaware of the challenges behind these kind of business deals, but I’m sure there’s good reasons for not featuring them.

6 Likes

:thinking: A GOG option could be useful, for people with potato setups like me the Steam launcher running in the background can break some games

7 Likes

I am ONLY interested in DRM-Free games. So I really hope a Gog partnership comes in the future! :grin:

5 Likes

I’m the same. I have bought a few games here on Chrono that are available on GOG, but only to support Chrono.

I have passed on many daily deals here because I intend to eventually buy them on GOG (or from another store offering DRM-free).

I will gladly pay more for DRM-free games, and I often do when GOG’s sales don’t go as low as Steam’s. It’s worth it to me.

I’ve been wishing for this as well. Like I said, I’d pay more. If Chrono had to price the GOG option higher than the Steam option, I would still choose GOG.

5 Likes

Buying DRM free also acts as it’s own preservation of the product. Which always makes me feel all tingly inside haha :grin:

3 Likes