Epic Games Exclusives Discussion Thread

If I were managing the Epic Games Store I’d be tempted to take on exclusivity for Rockstar’s games for only around a 5% share of their sales, perhaps covering bandwidth costs but little else. Having those games on the EGS would draw people in, which in itself would be a huge boon.

5 Likes
3 Likes

As much as I dislike epic, this is a good thing. Better support for Linux with major game companies will really boost the appeal for the platform and make it more viable.

3 Likes

I’m not even sure if Steam would be able to survive doing something like this, just think of all the sales that happen on third party sites like this one. And even still how long can a 12% cut actually be profitable? Epic is making a fuck-ton of money on Fortnite alone, and all Valve’s only true source of income is their selling of games on Steam.

1 Like

valve could, they might not be so super incentivized anymore to be tossing money at the various things they have, linux development etc, but they could definitely survive, +you underestimate the their revenue from the marketplace

what i’m curious about is how 3rd party stores would feel about it, say places like Chrono, Humble, Fanatical, if 12% would remain profitable, if even viable at all to them.
-that is if Valve would/could even permit keys for 3rd party sale after such an increased cut.

3 Likes

Welp time to add Rocket League to the Exclusively on Epic games store list.

so if you haven’t bought it already make sure you do it soon if you want it on steam.

6 Likes

I don’t know if they made the purchase to make sure they get the exclusive on the subsequent game or to take this game away from Steam.

EDIT:
nevermind, I just read the article… yeah, this is crazy… They will stop sales on Steam after opening it on Epic.

5 Likes

wtf

3 Likes

It’s started already folks:

6 Likes

tenor

Oh God no…They will massacre my boy! :worried:

5 Likes

this is honestly brilliantly epic
take a game that has garnered massive success, and had everything done for them already, incl marketing, ports, been frontloaded on steam, and just swoop in and garner the drip feed rewards.
only thing more sly than this, would be if they did it with PUBG :stuck_out_tongue:

tbh, not only is this the first time i’ve even begun to “consider” rocket league a game to buy, but might consider to grab it on steam just to make sure i have it in case… tho it’s totally not my game type :rofl:, -kinda makes me regret i didn’t swipe it for pennies in the humble bundle, but maybe a sale will happen in the meantime that will push my “waste XXbucks” decision over the edge on this. So even just as a marketing boost this move has already worked bringing attention to it there too :smile:

epic move :clap:, stay classy consolePC wars :kissing_heart:

6 Likes

those ascii reviews are even better :joy:

4 Likes

Ok, gloves are off from now on.

3 Likes

Giggles… I wonder how many days this is going to go on for…

5 Likes

(sad?) thing is, with steam’s new review policy it wont matter at all, wont be long before all the negative stats are wiped and the reviews “hidden” unless looked for
not that i really think this warrants review bombing anyway, not like they are torpedoing the game or anything (I presume), just the possibility of new users wont be added via steam. With RocketLeague cross play already existing i can’t see why epic users shouldn’t co-mingle with steam/provide an influx in playerbase there just the same as if bought from steam, so existing users are not really likely to be “hurt” by this move, making the bombing a bit more weird than stuff like Metro o.0

5 Likes

Yeah, the whole thing about “I will no longer be able to enjoy this game any more” or complaints about the Epic launcher is totally funny, because they can keep playing, keep getting updates, etc. They can keep doing everything the same, just the game won’t be sold in the Steam store any longer.

Totally baseless claims, all in the massive hate toward Epic.

7 Likes

Since it won’t be sold on steam after they acquire it, won’t it not matter anyways??

5 Likes

that too lol,
but some places do aggregate steam review scores as rating in their marketing, Itad being one i think. So not like steam scores are completely unavailable to people outside of steam, but ofc require people to at least be looking there anyway :sweat_smile:

aye,
i don’t like epic buying up “pre-exclusives”, or removing games from steam etc.
But imo it’s stuff like Metro and Anno that are the “egregious” parts. Games that’s been part of steam, then yanked moments before release, (potentially)affecting “all” users
This will “only” effect new users, not existing -the ones able to leave reviews, thus i can see why this instance could “rightfully” be called “off topic” reviews… doesn’t really help their outrage much i suppose (srs doubt review bombs that are going to be wiped are gonna make psionix alter anything in their deal negotiations with epic lol)

6 Likes

So you bought the game on steam and enjoy playing it with friends, imagine having to buy it again on epic store if you want “the next dlc” or whatever. I honestly dont know how this helps the players in general, straight up a step backwards.

3 Likes

straight up assumption: i’m guessing this is very, veeery unlikely to happen… for obvious reasons
not just because both epic and psyonix has said support will continue for rocket league on steam, but because i seriously doubt they expect luring players to pay 20$ for a game again, in order to get a 2-3$ dlc… easier to just release that dlc on steam too for the players that own it (same stuff that happened with other yanked games)

5 Likes