Back to Today's Deal

DiRT 4 - 11/17/18 - $12.50

Today’s deal is DiRT 4!

DiRT%204

Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/421020/DiRT_4/

Description:

ONE POINT FOR HUMANKIND

When you’re not up past your bedtime gaming your little heart out, do you ever sit and think to yourself, “Aw man, I wish I had enough time in my life to master so-and-so thing but it’s too big of a commitment these days?” We know we have. (Cheap produce site Corno.gg coming never!) But what’s incredible is, with video games, for a lot of experiences, you can have the next best thing.

Like, take rally car racing for example. Today we’re selling a game called DiRT 4, and in all likelihood, maybe two or three of you out there will have ever actually raced in a rally car before. But hundreds if not thousands of you are gonna buy the game today, because not only are the graphics good, and not only is it the official game of the FIA World Rallycross Championship, but you can also sit and eat a steak dinner while you play if you want, and unless you get a little gravy somewhere, you don’t have to clean up afterwards, either.

This is a triumph of humanity, not just because of the technical achievement, but because by buying and playing this, you’ve kinda defeated the barrier of time and aging that kept you from becoming a pro rally driver in real life. So eat up that steak, gamers, and if you’re feeling saucy, go even bigger: race while eating sushi, race while drinking a fine french red, race while someone feeds you grapes, race while getting that pedi, race while watching Westworld, race while booking a Caribbean getaway. You are human with a decent PC. You deserve it.

The official trailer for DiRT 4

Our favorite Steam reviews:

As always, use this thread to discuss the deal, talk about the game, and find people to play with.

Good to see this game return to Chrono.gg. I enjoyed the sale when I bought it during the racing campaign bundle thing.

Just to correct the “review”, it was said to be a mix, featuring the simulation physics from DR, but it obviously does not. They lied, hence the negative reviews… But hey, opinions equals facts, right?

euh, I own both and have 50h in DR and 31 in D4; I don’t see how they lied, in D4 u can choose whether u want D3 arcade or DR simulation, and I haven’t seen any difference in the simulation physics given that I’ve ofc chosen the DR option, so do u mind providing some kind of “proof” for this?

AFAIK the main problem ppl have with D4 is that the tracks are “procedurally generated” and hence aren’t as good as the tracks in DR, which felt more natural and better designed. I also preferred the championships of DR as they rly felt like progressing through some sort of career based on skill, whereas u have more freedom to just do what u want in D4.

Cant wait for DR2 btw.

Well, since you can’t see a difference, there is no proof that would be credible or significant enough. So what are you asking? The physics not being up to par is one of the major complaints. All you need to look for, is the reviews, if that’s another thing you can’t believe.

You bring up a good point with the tracks being not as good, though, which also stands in stark contrast to that “review” in question here. Procedural sounds good on paper (or writing here) as it’s aimed to provide very challenging, and by extension, more natural tracks, but it ended up being not so much, to say the least.

no, that’s not how this works; any real proof would in fact be credible and significant enough to convince me; this only shows that u do not know me. Even an in-depth analysis which proves this point might be enough to convince me, and I have in fact checked some reviews, and the only thing I’ve seen is that ppl indeed pointed out to those who complained about the physics that they should choose the simulation option and that the simulation option offers the Dirt Rally simulation physics+improvements to it.

You, Sir, are the one accusing a company of lying, without providing any proof whatsoever, and it would seem u haven’t even played the game yourself, so yes, i will not accept your claim, given that my personal experience with the game completely and immediately contradicts your claim, which appears to be merely based on hearsay. And i will also share a small piece of wisdom with u: “It is enough lying for a person to merely repeat what others said (without checking it).”

However, i would nevertheless be willing to accept the opinion of someone whose level of experience far exceeds mine (such as Empty Box, for example) and who would diligently explain the differences and prove it with something we know as “facts,” which can be done by way of video analysis and so on, and that is regardless of the fact that I’ve been playing racing games for 30 years now (and have always been into simulation more than arcade, going as far as owning a pretty good [though basic] wheel and having played iracing for a few years even).

Edit: I’ve done some more digging and have indeed found ppl complaining about the physics, but then again i’ve also found plenty of ppl say they physics are in fact better and improved, as can be seen here, for example:

It is also noteworthy that many of these ppl argue that the physics are in fact better in D4, but that u must spend more time tuning the cars as the additional details of the physics engine actually make a huge difference in how the handling feels due exactly do the enhanced simulation physics when compared to DR.

As for me personally, like i said, i absolutely have no complaints in this domain whatsoever. If i start any of the two games after a hiatus i have to relearn how to drive and control the cars (and each car handles differently), and the golden rule in both games is that if yr losing control it means yr going too fast, so u first need to slow down till u learn how to properly control the car, and then u can steadily increase the speed step by step, and i would also like to stress that i play without any assists and on the hardest difficulty and would win the championships (after a number of tries when necessary). All the achievements in my rarest achievements showcase (1%-2%) are from DR and D4 in fact, lol.

sorry for the late reply.

this only shows that u do not know me

No, i never even implied to know you, but by definition, that means you can’t tell the difference. That you make this a personal issue, makes the whole discussion moot since it’s quite obviously dictated by your feelings, for whatever reason. Just FTR, I couldn’t care less if you enjoy the game or not.

without providing any proof whatsoever

which is contrary to most anyone’s opinion, like for example the review in question?

I have in fact checked some reviews

pick and choose again, i see

Empty Box

I do agree that he does have some credibility, if not at least sound arguments. Where is his review, though? Since there is none, maybe that says something?

these ppl argue that the physics are in fact better

and those people also say that it has too much grip. Note, they say feel. None of them provide any proof, yet, you take their opinion for fact. How is that not “hearsay”, but it is when it goes against your opinion, which isn’t based on factual evidence either, but merely “feel” as well?

i have to relearn how to drive […] u first need to slow down till u learn how to properly control the car

this lets me seriously doubt your claims “to be into” simulations. You’d always side with caution first, if that was the case. This is the attitude of someone who prefers arcade, not that there is anything wrong with it, but don’t kid yourself. And tbh, it doesn’t matter if you have 30 years xp behind the controller. You could do it for 50yrs and never learn or know the reality. That’s some wisdom for you right there.

To conclude this discussion and explain my problem with the review in question, and by extension, find it weird why you’d put so much into arguing it, is that tiny improvements despite coming with significant downsides, are reason enough to fork out full price of what is a half arsed attempt to shoot 2 horses with one gun. This is why we can’t have nice things.

sry but u claim that this company has lied to its costumers and still haven’t provided any proof for this claim; u do realize that technically, the company would be entitled to press charges against u for libel, and that the judge would demand that u provide proof for such an ugly accusation?

i only got into this discussion because someone was accused of lying without any proof, and y i do find that unacceptable and vry worthy of debate, so either u prove this, or u should take it back in shame

u said that no proof would be credible or significant enough, which is a statement about whether i would be willing to accept proof or not, which does imply that u claim to know this about me, and i refute this statement completely, and again, it merely illustrates that u do not know me, so u shoudn’t assume things about ppl u dont know

again, if u did provide any real proof i would immediately accept it

no, this merely shows that u do not have any experience with these games yrself; Dirt Rally is a completely different beast when it comes to racing simulations, and the golden rule here is that if u lost control or went out of track it shows that u need to reduce yr speed more although u might have felt that yr speed was adequate while driving. [This actually goes for the best rally drivers as well, as any pro would validate, and anyone understands that there is a huge difference between circuit racing and rally driving, given that u actually do not know the track beforehand. On a circuit u know perfectly well how fast yr supposed to go and where and how much to brake etc., which is not the case here; there is an element of ‘ignorance’ as even the copilot’s instructions are open to interpretation, sometimes “5-right” can be more treacherous and dangerous than a “3-right” because of terrain level or, precisely, how fast u r going in the first place.]

and as for my having skill or not, lol, the fact that i often achieve the top tier in online dailies, weeklies, and monthlies with all assists off is more than enough for me

again, had u actually played the game yrself u’d understand that u get to choose whether u want the arcadey settings or the simulation settings

I must say, I like this game. Graphics are nice, runs well on my system and it’s far easier than DiRT Rally. You can play this with a controller, no problem.
What I don’t like about this game are indeed the procedurally generated tracks. It’s far too easy to see the same turn over and over, even in the same track.
These kind of tracks are good for leaderbords events, but less so for core championship. I also think that snow tracks are busted, with so many small bumps, that it’s just absurd.
Apart from that, I’d say it’s a solid game.

then u should know that 2kliksphilip was able to beat the highest championship on the highest difficulty without any assists (of Dirt Rally) WITH THE FRIKKIN ARROW KEYS OF HIS KEYBOARD, rofl, and plenty of ppl have done it with controller also

I have a friend that is really good with a controller, he was going for all achievements on Xbox. I know it’s possible, just not that easy :sweat_smile:

but there is nothing debate, or merely futile, as i have proven. And that’s all the proof that is needed for this occasion. And i doubt CM would go for a trial when they advertise as realistic, but by their own statement, have or need to make compromises. I also doubt they care about a random internet comment, just as much as they dont care, or it even matters in any way, whether i change your mind on this. You disagree? Fine. I even cared for it as stated already.

u said that no proof would be credible or significant enough

as stated, by definition. Doesn’t relate to your character, but again, that you make this a personal attack, predetermines the result of the discussion before it even started

any real proof i would immediately accept it

and then what? You have said yourself:

no complaints in this domain whatsoever

so what would change? If you really were “into simulations”, you would be just as critical and not happy until it reaches at least RBR level. But you are not. Again, not that it matters and you enjoy arcades; i can enjoy arcade as well, but going around and “defending their honor” when they’ve put out a tiny “enhancement” which really isn’t one in the end, makes all this attempt at arguing the matter irrelevant and a waste of time.

no, this merely shows that u do not have any experience with these games yrself; Dirt Rally is a completely different beast when it comes to racing simulations, and the golden rule here is that if u lost control or went out of track it shows that u need to reduce yr speed more although u might have felt that yr speed was adequate while driving. [This actually goes for the best rally drivers as well, as any pro would validate, and anyone understands that there is a huge difference between circuit racing and rally driving, given that u actually do not know the track beforehand. On a circuit u know perfectly well how fast yr supposed to go and where and how much to brake etc., which is not the case here; there is an element of ‘ignorance’ as even the copilot’s instructions are open to interpretation, sometimes “5-right” can be more treacherous and dangerous than a “3-right” because of terrain level or, precisely, how fast u r going in the first place.]

lol? That is exactly my point. By your own words, you’re implying to “having to learn again” to be cautious, which is exactly the conclusion an arcade player comes to when playing something somewhat realistic. Btw, If alone that fact [being hard and with consequence] is what makes a simulation to you, then that just proves my point as well.

and as for my having skill or not, lol

lol indeed. Again, looking for any way to discredit by making it look like i attack you on a personal. Anyone capable of reading, can see that i did not do that.

again, had u actually played the game yrself u’d understand that u get to choose whether u want the arcadey settings or the simulation settings

we’re arguing whether there was “enhancement” or not. By your own reference material, it clearly is not. Having better weight distribution [feel] but gaining too much (dare i say) unrealistic grip levels, makes this a non-enhancement. It’s just a cheap value tweak sold as new game. If “we”, as a community, support that, or get into useless arguments that no-one cares about defending such methods, we’re just hurting our self.

Also, sorry for the late reply; had the wrong notification option enabled.

ok, and you still want more proof? Just shows again, that any attempt would be futile, if this doesn’t do the trick already

what r u talking about? u were talking about the physics in Dirt 4; I’m talking about Dirt Rally here, not Dirt 4…

so if anything, it would be a proof against DR physics

:roll_eyes:

Ok, for some reason i dont get notifications either way. Sorry again for the late response

No, sry, context can be a difficult subject for some people and i didn’t think it would be for you, which is why i limited the amount of quotes.

Here for your convenience. You are welcome. Please fill this into the other post:

to which i responded that u can also play Dirt Rally with a controller ez, in fact someone beat the game on the highest difficulty and without assists on their keyboard, hence this does not prove anything at all, but how about we give this a rest, huh? I think that at this point we can agree that we won’t add anything to this discussion…

So y, just hf, try to enjoy whatever games u do play.

Nah, this game (DiRT Rally) has one of the lowest completion ratio on Xbox, 0,59%. That’s far from ez XD

Don’t feel like completion ratio is a good measure on how hard a game is, it might just be boring or filled with so much random filler crap to reach that 100% no one bothered.

It’s not the case, completion time is around 80 hours. We’re talking about the 0,5% of the 1% of gamers, I took that numbers from TrueAchievements, because we were talking about playing the game with a controller.
If you’re on console, playing with a controller, you’re going to have a better time with DiRT 4.

Maybe it’s just that most ppl on console [and pc, in fact, it doesn’t seem far-fetched that most ppl who buy Dirt 4 choose “arcade” given that the traditional Dirt player base is not the same as the Dirt Rally player base at all] will choose the “arcade” option, for example, u haven’t confirmed which option u chose yrself, and ofc “arcade” will be much easier than “simulation”, that’s the whole point.

As for Dirt Rally, I again confirm that a known Youtuber beat the game on keyboard, and I’ve played plenty of times with controller myself and am able to be competitive with it too, today’s controllers are rly good mind u. I often don’t feel like plugging in my wheel cuz of the hassle, and i remember i was once in a Project Cars online lobby with good, clean racing, and one of the faster drivers said in chat that “controller noobs” should get out and that this was a wheel-only lobby [it was his lobby that he had set up, so i felt he was entitled], so i just kept quiet but decided i would love to show him a lesson, so when i won the very next race [a very close but clean race wherein he came second], i typed in chat: “so how does it feel to get beaten by a guy playing on controller?’” he said that it was time for him to uninstall, rofl.